Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QL v Bennett trim tabs? Answer = Bennetts best for deep V hulls.

Re: QL v Bennett trim tabs? Answer = Bennetts best for deep V hulls.

Will trim tabs be of assistance in a following sea or not at all?
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

Quote Originally Posted by waterbouy View Post
    that really depends on the boat and the sea,generally not as a rule,you dont want to bury the bow coming down the back of a wave so to speak.

Yeah I agree, certainly don't want any more bow down than can be helped. I would still use a touch of one tab or the other though to keep the boat as level as practical in a cross wind or current in a following sea, then use the engine trim to compensate for any loss of bow up.

An alloy long boat about 24ft a bit over a tonne in full weight. Can get a bit tippy/ broachy in a following sea. Trim tabs worth while?
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

trim tabs wont help with broaching,and could make things worse if it rolls with the tabs,and i dont think the tabs would be quick enough to correct a broaching hull,the wave has the control at that point ,sounds like a hull design problem or too much weight foward etc

An alloy long boat about 24ft a bit over a tonne in full weight. Can get a bit tippy/ broachy in a following sea. Trim tabs worth while?

It's important that all tabs are put back to the neutral/up position as soon as the boat begins to run down sea, the drive/leg position also will need adjustment to suit the conditions, especially if 'enhanced' by a foil/fin.

I remember reading a story by the Haines family (regarding the Signature builds) over 20 years ago about their boat design and why they didn't include a pronounced deep forefoot into their keel, as was the trend with other builders, to assist with head sea ride. The author maintained that it was a lot safer to have a shallower forefoot because generally, the average recreational boater did not have the appropiate skill in following seas and barways to cope with the 'twitchy' characteristics a leading/deeper running forefoot would develop......in other words, same as tabs on.

Alchemy are you still happy with your Bennett trim tabs. I'm experiencing similar to what you explained with the QL's but not as bad due to having 20deg instead of your deeper 23 deg. I would also expect that they would be more efficient through the water as well. Within 12 months I replaced both of my QL's though it didn't cost me anything. If they fail again Bennetts will be going on.

Quote Originally Posted by liprippa View Post
    Alchemy are you still happy with your Bennett trim tabs. I'm experiencing similar to what you explained with the QL's but not as bad due to having 20deg instead of your deeper 23 deg. I would also expect that they would be more efficient through the water as well. Within 12 months I replaced both of my QL's though it didn't cost me anything. If they fail again Bennetts will be going on.
    My QLs are 10 Years old this month, replaced 1 blade in that time (mine was factory fitted by the boat builder). I have also fitted quite a few. In my opinion most failures are due to a bad installation where the blade is subject to twisting mainly through improper torque of the mounting screw of bolt.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had Ql's on two different boats. Would not recommend at all. Both vessels had replaced blades within 6 months of installing. This was done by Valet boat services (pete) Bennett trim tabs is my recommendation.

very happy with the Bennetts. Not a single issue since I fitted them.

What size have you got?

i assume lencos are as good as bennets? I never like the look of those QL's. Much prefer the idea of a plate

What size have you got?
    Lippy, read first post of thread. All will be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    i assume lencos are as good as bennets? I never like the look of those QL's. Much prefer the idea of a plate
    Not sure, but think it reasonable to assume so.

I have 9 x9 basic Lencos that are now over 10 yrs old and they are fine.

They do the same as Bennett but I just didn't want the extra oil and stuff that Lenco does not have being electric screw units so simpler install too IMHO
    What could go wrong.......................