Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Budds Bait & Marine Cleveland - going ............ going .............. almost gone!

Re: Budds Bait & Marine Cleveland - going ............ going .............. almost go

Whether your right or wrong I don't think its appropriate to post negative comments about someone or someone's business on this forum. Write to the owner/s via email with these issues rather than telling thousands of potential customers about it over the net. This thread should be taken down.

Re: Budds Bait & Marine Cleveland - going ............ going .............. almost go

Sorry Charlie, I wasn't refering to your posts- although Im not sure if they were negative or not because I started to fall asleep after reading the first few lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Whether your right or wrong I don't think its appropriate to post negative comments about someone or someone's business on this forum. Write to the owner/s via email with these issues rather than telling thousands of potential customers about it over the net. This thread should be taken down.

You might have a case if the comments being made were inaccurate, or mischievous.

However, if they are not, then all the internet is doing is facilitating a rapid version of what all marketers know of as the most influential advertising medium, viz word-of-mouth.

It is also offering the business owner better sources of customer feedback than he is ever likely to get face to face. If the grievances being aired are not countered by a lot of counter arguments by happy customers, then he knows that he has a problem that needs fixing and very quickly so.

All the internet does is speed things up. It is like the grafitti on a wall at my university used to say, "Avoid the end of year rush, fail now."

Rather than having hurt feelings about such posts, a smart business owner will recognise that he has to do something to avoid that end of year rush that ,in business terms, usually happens when the economy takes a dip. At such times, the tide goes out and business who are anchored on shallow soft reefs in terms of their customer happiness effectiveness, get very exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Sorry Charlie, I wasn't refering to your posts- although Im not sure if they were negative or not because I started to fall asleep after reading the first few lines...

It has been a long, long time since I have posted a fishing report. You don't know what it is like to fall asleep until you read one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    It is also offering the business owner better sources of customer feedback than he is ever likely to get face to face. If the grievances being aired are not countered by a lot of counter arguments by happy customers, then he knows that he has a problem that needs fixing and very quickly so.

Yeah I understand that criticism has benefits for a business however the original post was nothing but negative and not intended to help the owner in any way. Remember the owner had to start a new account to respond to the claims after being alerted by friends. I don't think its a fair thing to go and slander someone's business without confronting\ alerting the owner before hand.

Firstly - Apologies to Charlieville for pressing the like button on your last post - it was meant with the same sarcastic humour that i believe the post was made in. Your fishing reports are always a welcome relief from the "I went fishing and caught a fish" posts.

Secondly - I dont see it as a major issue raising poor service (we also have MANY good service posts here) in this forum. The proviso is that the posts are specific and quote examples, rather than a general " their service sucks" comment. Lets be hypothetical here - If someone was to put up a post and say something like " Sunfish Sams Tackle Store is staffed by a bunch of morons who have no idea what they are talking about and couldnt give a rats rectum about customer service because i called in there at 4.30 am this morning and they didnt have any 1/0 Mustad 92247 hooks and wouldnt try and get some for me 7am" Then I would immeiately learn more about the person putting up the post than 'Sunfish Sams'.

Tackle stores do run out of some items of stock from time to time - and believe it or not - sometimes it is the most basic of expected items. I remember about 18 months ago I was looking for a particular popular size treble to refurbish some lures that I had - it was a common size and pattern - went to first local store, none in stock....so I grumbled under my breath for a bit and headed to next local store - same deal - none in stock - hmmmm - head to major outdoor store as a last resort - same thing. Being the persistent bugger that I am - i think theres another two major outdoor stores (different companies) nearby - funily enough - none of them had any either. Now some people may have posted on this forum that this was poor service - but having owned a tackle store myself - I came to the conclusion that the problem wasnt with the stores but with the supply of the hooks. (luckily I have a mate who owns a tackle store interstate and a quick phone call got me some hooks posted up to me - he keeps more of these style hooks than most of the suppliers - plus a confirmation that the suppliers shipment of same was six weeks late).

The issue of rude, complacent, arrogant service - is probably best not raised immediately with the business owner in person - if I read into the emotion of some of the posts I have seen - as it most probably would finish up in a raging argument at best.

Most people on this forum would be very much pro the local bloke - and want them to succeed - and would be merely saying what they expect from a bait and tackle store. Occassionally some of those expectations may be a bit over the top - but genrally they are reasonable expectations. Don't expect to pay the same price for things at your local that you will pay by scouring the net for the cheapest price ( he doesnt have their buying power/proximity to manufacturer/volume of sales), and I will guarantee he has much higher overheads to sales than they do - remember that the difference between what he buys it at - and his sale price - is what he has to pay his rent, power bill, cost of fitout, in a lot of instances interest on overdraft/loan, wages for staff and their oncosts, and more importantly his own wages so that he can put a roof over his families head and food on the table.

I only wish that a forum like this was operating when i had my tackle shop as I would have loved to recieve feedback from customers in a timely basis, whether it be good or bad, so that I could react accordingly - be that by changing the way I do business, or have an opportunity to explain, apologise or rectify specifics. No business I know of gets it right everytime - but its how they respond to those 'moments of truth' that will determine the success of the business.

Greg

ps . There ya go Charlieville - a sleeping pill of a post from me. lol

better than no shop at all isnt it