Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Penn spinfsiehrs 950ssm $87.50

Re: Penn spinfsiehrs 950ssm $87.50

And I think that has just about torn it!
    The bail arm wire fell off the roller end tonight.

And that ladies and gentlemen is why they sell for $87.50

Luckily I had a 10 cent tube of super glue that has pretty darn well fixed it

Think I had better take it for a test run in the morning

Quite disappointing reading the feedback as penn have been very successful on charter boats over the years.That never should have happened to a reel under the first 12 months.

The current Penn Spinfisher range is soon to be discontinued. The new Penn Spinfisher V range should be available here before the end of the year. This reel won the "Best New Saltwater Reel" division at the recent ICAST show in Orlando.

http://jignpopforum.com/topic/567-penn-spinfisher/

http://www.pennreels.com/products/re...s/spinfisher-v

Dont know,
    The internals still look kinda chinesey to me but I did notice the knob spindle mount has been beefed up.
    Any brand new reel will usually perform well but its the durability factor that counts the most.
    Another thing that I noticed on the jignpop forum was someone mentioned the manufacturing costs of some parts and it seemed quite cheap yet why are we paying premium price on parts that tend to fail quickly??, I dont mind paying what they ask for parts but there has to be some quality standard there.
    I think Penn will have to produce a better quality product to get some of their customers back after the last model Spinfisher reels letdown.
    I have 2 other USA manufactured Penn reels that I use and they have performed brilliantly under some pretty harsh conditions.
    If the quality is there with the new Spinfisher I might buy one because I do like the feel and useability of the reels , but I dont like bits wearing out or falling off within 12 months.
    Give me one to field test and I will soon let you know what they are like
    cheers, steve.

the old US Spinfishers command a pretty good price on the second hand market, my marte has a Chinese 950 that he uses off the rocks and it has been OK, and off the rocks is hard on a reel.

I don't own any Penn's, but I personally saw the bail/line roller screw fall out of a Spinfisher 850ssm on a charter (one of the boat's reels). Anyone who bought a Spinfisher when they were on special might want to go over their reel and loctite all the screws. Just a suggestion...

Penn would be aware of the current Spinfisher's problems, so hopefully they've fixed them in the new Spinfisher V.

PS. Don't use the red loctite unless you want the bond to be permanent. I saw this advice on another forum, and I had a problem recently with an Accurate handle knob bolt that had been very firmly fixed in place with a liberal amount of red loctite.

Has anyone got any first hand feedback on the Slammers and live Liners. They are getting discounted as well
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Horse I have heard about problems with the Slammers too but at the same time we have one of the best reel testers going, my sister in law. She puts a couple of combos on two rod holders on the front of a 4 wheeler and rides up the beach all the time with them. Stradics and Symetres have come and gone yet the Slammmer she has is still going to this day. Might have got a lucky one? She does only use bait so doesn't cast lures with is plus knows how to fish so doesn't try to winch fish in. This reel gets covered in sand and salt and is still showing bugger all signs of corrosion. There's nothing wrong with the Spinfisher she has either so I guess she has been a little lucky.
    I've heard nothing but good things coming from Penn for a couple of years now which I think is one of the reasons a new Spinfisher is coming out. Alan Tani gave the Squall a massive wrap in this link. Imagine the mighty TLD getting knocked off it's perch!
    I reckon the new Spinfisher will be a hit but it sounds like the current ones might be a bit of a lucky dip.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/wor...ut-squall.html

I did up my bail roller screw up fairly tight about 2 days back and it came loose and was only a turn or two from coming right out yesterday.
    loctite was mentioned by Stonecold as well. Some design problem is causing it to come loose same as the oscillating shaft screw coming loose.
    I have a Penn slammer 460 and use it for lures in the river and outside work with rubbers and lighter braid and it is 12 months old and has not had a problem yet. but it has not had as much casting work as the 950ssm.
    Like I said, I like the way the reels feel and work. Improve on the 950 and I will be looking at it as a jew reel for off the rocks.
    cheers.

Hi guys

A mate of mine bought two Penn spinfishers (650ss and 750ss) after i recommended them to him. I recommended them since i had been on many fishing forums and the Penn spinfishers were given a very good wrap.

The reels started off ok but within the first few months the plastic drag knobs and both of the reels he bought just simply cracked and split. They hardly got used in that time too and were never mistreated. Needless to say we were both disappointed with the purchase.

Small problem and easy to fix but still - they should not have cracked.