Thread: BBQ whole red emperor

BBQ whole red emperor

Hi everyone

Was lucky enough to catch a 8.5 kg [ cleaned weight ] red emperor earlier this week.
    Our youngest daughter is planing a octoberfest party later this year. She has a pig on the spit. I thought it would be nice to BBQ this red whole. So i need to know how long [ about ] it would take to cook & any good stuffing mixes ; marinades to use.

Ill be a bit tipsy so want to keep it simply.

Cheers
    Graham

Re: BBQ whole red emperor

Webbers are the best for this if you have one,(Unless you can cook it in among some ashes!!!) gill gut your Red and with a sharp knife stab some pockets at variouse sections of the side of the fish or just make some cuts and fill these with a dash of butter and a clove of garlic to each cut/pocket..salt pepper rubbed on the fish itself , stuff the stomache with carrots, cellery or whatever takes your fancy...
    Get a cup and halfe fill it with Olive Oil, near halfe with squeezed lemon juice, handfull of Rubbed/crushed oregano leaf and stir till it goes like emulsified oil..
    Brush on the outside (Both sides) of your red emperor, wrap in foil and lay in the webber remembering to turn halfeway through cooking..Whats left of the basting mixture you can leave till the fish is ready to be served ..tastes a treat...as for time??depending on size of the beast anywhere from hour n a halfe to two hours....

Thanks Volvo. I don't have a webber but will be using a bbq with a hood. Gulled and gutted 8.5 kg ; 1.5 - 2 hours about right ???
    What temp. should it be about ?????

Cheers
    Graham

Mate, i did 1 a couple of years ago about the same size, best if your bbq has a hood. I wrapped mine in foil with some butter and a hint of garlic, they taste so good that they don't need a lot of added flavour. I think we fed 25 to 30 people with some left over.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post
    Mate, i did 1 a couple of years ago about the same size, best if your bbq has a hood. I wrapped mine in foil with some butter and a hint of garlic, they taste so good that they don't need a lot of added flavour. I think we fed 25 to 30 people with some left over.

Mark
    Graham

As one of the people who enjoyed the above fish, I can tell you it was brilliant. Remember to score the flesh to allow an even cook through. The reds are certainly a fish that don't need much help.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post

Mark
    Too true they dont but like most Fish, or meat whether it be beef , lamb or Pork certain types of added flavour especially within the herbal area certainly adds that extra bit towards the taste ..
    Caught enough reds in my time to appreciate their taste etc and one of my favourites but trust me when i say all Fish can be spiced up a noth or two..
    Cheers and Kalli Oreksi (Bon Aptite)

Thanks everyone i can taste it already

Cheers Graham

Did you remove the scales before baking the Red ? How does a little lime n' lemon go ?

I have a little (1770 caught ) 56cm model destin for the BBQ plate Sunday for lunch !

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat View Post
    Did you remove the scales before baking the Red ? How does a little lime n' lemon go ?

I have a little (1770 caught ) 56cm model destin for the BBQ plate Sunday for lunch !
    hi Black_Rat
    I was lucky enough to come home with a 59cm model - we had it Sun night. I scaled and scored it and added a nob or 2 of butter in the gut cavity with a couple of wedges of lemon plus a bit of salt and pepper - was plenty enough to flavour. Wrapped with doubled over sheet of foil for a bit of added strength then into the pre-heated hooded BBQ. I cooked on a relatively high heat for 45 mins and to be honest it could have come out 10 mins earlier. Was delicious.
    cheers Rob