Thread: soft plastics and jewies..

soft plastics and jewies..

Hi all... at the moment im targeting Jewies on softplastics and glad to say i landed my first one a week or so ago, last night i lost another one... i have put in the hours though and i was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips as to what your thoughts are on jew on plastics... im using two diff methods at the moment slickrigs and shad type plastics.. im fishing in an area with a bit of current but am targeting the tops and bottoms of the tide late at night.. the only jew i have landed took a slickrig on the drop and the other one ate it seconds after it hitting the bottom.. so i just have not much idea as to how to increase my chances as far as a retrieve goes.. the only thing i have heard through mags etc is slow is the key.. any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers in advance. Nathank.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Re: soft plastics and jewies..

hi,
    Check out my thread for trolling for jewies or other. For the retrieve i do not agree with a slow retrieve, let the bait hit the bottom with no pause and then double hops and so on. Try some invisible flroucarbon leader, black magic is great and get into some of the gulps. 5" jershads shall do the trick at the moment. Pumkniseed or satay chicken, anyhting else you want to know just message me or reply in the thread.

Fishinwahbee

Never to young to be a pro 14yo!

Both retrieves work nathan but probably under different circumstances. I jig in the river where the water is clear. But when fishing discoloured floodwater from the shore, a slow rolling retrieve is what I use. Not much different to what is used by the old timers spinning for jew with a feather. I think its more about putting the lure in front of the fish, if you can do that, your catch rate will sky rocket.

Cheers

You have to find the level the fish are at, sometimes its right on the surface or 2m down or on the bottom, the deeper the fish the slower i go with the retrieve, i use threadybusters for most situations, the hookup rate is a lot better with 6 hooks points instead of 1 with a jighead

Cheers Guys any help is appreciated, have been wanting to get my hands on a few threadybusters any ideas Brissyboy?

fishwannabe.. cheers mate.. i always use flourocarbon its the only way to go for sure, the one i lost last night funny enough was on a 5" jerkshad in satay chicken lol.

well good to hear that some things im doing is what other people more successfull are also doing.. now just to get a lure infront of another one.. am going again tonight so will letyou guys know how i go.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Yeh mate if you google saiko tackle they do a pretty good mail order service, I dont think any shops down your way sell them yet.

Not promoting it but just read a good article in the winter edition of Sport Fishing Aus called Hunting the Hunter. It details targeting Jew on lures esp plastics - worth checking out.

been doing a fair bit of jewie fishing in the brissy river of late and while I'm yet to land a legal ..... I've managed about 20 and all of them have been on plastics. So clearly they work . ( still to catch one on a bait / live prawn or herring)
    a bream style twitch and shake has been the way to go

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I used to make my own lures for spinning for jewies and found lumo worked well.
    I got a few in 30-40lb a few in 40-50lb and one 63lb and lost some alot bigger.
    I was mainly spinning night time or flood water.
    I used reflective lures near lights and lumo lures daytime in dirty water.
    Always used slow to very slow and nearer the bottom with flood water and near the topat night time where lights were near bridges, but got slammed near the top too before it got to the bottom.
    Need to think a bit like a jew - at night time they love to sit in a dark and pounce on a fish in the lights if near a bridge.
    Found the best way to catch a jew was to have a lure in the water - simple as that. I would spin for 8 hours in a day and many around me would spin 20 minutes and stop 20 minutes - I would spin constantly - just use a lazy acion and just keep going.
    I did get frustrated one day when a guy came along with small pink squid plastic lures very light weight - he cast them no more than 50m - I was casting 80 to 90m with heavier lures and he got three fish in quick succession all 30-40lb each - bag limit was 2 fish but he was a professional so allowed to keep the three. He was a local and a regular and knew his stuff. I was stunned with is success.
    Good luck - just put in the hours and you will get results and remember you must have a lure in the water.
    Try lumo!
    Cheers

Trev

Don't limit yourself to tide changes or night time work, I have been having a cracker of a time recently in daylight hours working the river with plastics. Persistence is the key, you get lazy and you will miss them or not get the attention. Not all fish you see on the sounder are hungry, you work out when they will be feeding in your area and target them then.
    Personally, I pay very little attention to tides, when they change or what direction they are moving. I read the water to see where they will be and how they will be hunting. Jew are a pretty predictable fish of habit, you just need to work out when they will be feeding in your target area. Whilst I am at it I also find the full moons in rivers to be pretty non-productive, dark moons are much better. Opposite for the beaches though.
    Jack.