Thread: 4lb basshard knot Troubles

4lb basshard knot Troubles

I have tried slim beauty, double uni, Albright and doubling up the braid for the Albright

The line keeps snapping at the knot or roughly 5cm up. I am trying to tie 4lb bass hard to 6lb nitlon leader.

I think I'm too use to fireline/power pro thickness

Re: 4lb basshard knot Troubles

give this one a shot mate. are u lubricating the knot before you pull it tight?

Try the triple surgeons.Its pretty quick to tie and good for light line applications.
    I will say however that the knot can get brittle after longish fights on heavy fish(in relation to the line you are using) so I generally replace if I can be arsed.

Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by byron_moses View Post
    give this one a shot mate. are u lubricating the knot before you pull it tight?
    I just gave that knot a quick go and seems to be the worst:/. I am lubricating it very well. I tried some 5lb power pro to make sure I'm not having a bad day... Needless to say my fingers are sore the knot held.

I have tried lots of knots and 4lb fc rock and 8lb mono to the same result. I have started doing 7 wraps up an 7 down on my slims and alBright. I will try going 8 or 9 wraps tomorrow. I can get some ok pressure on the knot now but I can still break it. Will fill a milk bottle up and see if i can lift it with the knot.

004dam Gday mate have you tried this slim beuty at this site its different to others i have seen.videofishingknots.com .I

Or if you check a few more of the you tube slim beuty knots i saw one yesterday and it was the only one i have seen that he said on fine line does not matter what type of line use 12 wraps up and down.
    Cheers Rob
    Shut up and fish

Could be a bad batch of Braid? Had a similar problem with Sunline PE before, bought another spool and had no drama with it.

When I got home today I tied my Albright in my power pro, basshard and fireline. I found that I can break all my knots with my hand with some pressure. I have alot of confidence in my powerpro so this must be pretty normal as I have caught plenty using the same knot.

I tied a 12 up and 12 down on the basshard and it held extremely well I ended up needing to get some socks to break it and I ended up breaking the braid 15cm up. I tied the knot again and it broke at the knot.

I think I'm just having a confidence thing now. The drag/rod should take the pressure of the knot. I'll have to test it on the weekenD and see how it pans out.

so it doesnt seem to be a bad batch of braid issue then? i think 4lb braid would break under hand pressure if you can handle the fine line on your hands. its not that much really. Although the fact that its breaking at the knot is a concern but it is the weakest link. I have had the same issue with a knot i use to use, nearly always breaking at the knot in 6lb seabass varivas which i didnt like. I changed to a PR knot and while more complicated and you need to buy a bobbin it is an awesome knot that hardly touches the guides and retains nearly 100% breaking strain of the line supposedly. its taken me awhile to tie it ok and im still on that learning curve to tie faster but it im very happy with it. if i get a snag that wont come off it will break in the leader, not the knot which makes things a lot easier and provides confirmation to me that the knot is a good one. It is highly regarded.

That is the most complicated knot I have seen. I could not imagine trying to retie that in a rocking boat during a hot bite
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    That is the most complicated knot I have seen. I could not imagine trying to retie that in a rocking boat during a hot bite

Hahaha....I saw the bobbin and I didnt even bother watching step 1.

Toddy

hahaha, yep its a bitch and not really practical during a hot bite as horse said but it is good knot and will hold. there are slightly different versions that are a bit easier. as the knot is very slim it means you can wind it on so to speak and have long leaders and thus reducing the number of times a new leader is required. with a bit of practice it doesnt seem so complicated but yeah i still find it difficult in the boat with wind.