Thread: Looking to buy first ever kayak

Looking to buy first ever kayak

hi guys im looking to buy a kayak for just estuary fishing mainly areas such as the broadwater, tallebudgera creek, pine rivers and wivenhoe dam just so i can fish the deeper water and also have the edge of being able to fish the drop offs and weed beds i cant fish while standing on a shore. If anyone has any tips for starter kayak im more than happy to take suggestion as i do know how to use one but have never owned one and looking for something cheaper than a boat as soon i will get my P's and be able to drive down the coast by myself and have decent time and hopefully land a few decent fish

cheers Grant

Re: Looking to buy first ever kayak

Hi Grant,

Whats your budget? I considered getting a kayak but after a bit of searching around discovered that i could buy a second hand tinny for roughly same price.

Blake
    "You ever hear this expression? The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work. Uh, I'll call B.S. I've watched the deadliest catch on Discovery. I've never once been at work, capsized in a 40 degree water, watched all my co-workers die, and be like, "Hey, at least we're fuc#ing fishing"

im looking for something cheap just something to get out there where i can see but cant swim 2 probably around the 200-500 mark not looking for something professional just something that works.

cheers grant

Grant, Suggest you go looking in a few places such as E-Bay and Trading Post online etc. Think about the weight/capacity of you & your gear when considering a kayak- some aren't great in this regard and could see you sitting low in the water, which takes extra energy and also makes the yak unstable. Also checkout some of the other kayak fishing web sites like: akff.net and kfdu.com.au and eckfc.com etc. you will find fellow yak fishos selling their already set-up yaks. Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Hey mate kayak fishing is awesome, i always wanted to do it, and when i finally got one i loved it. I mainly do estuary/rivers, lakes, etc. havent gone out broadwater yet. I wouldnt know what brand my 'yak is but its mould is identical to a Viking Ozzie just without the hatches. Its 2.7m long plastic so piss easy to lift. I woulda liked the Nemo at 3.2m but i wont complain for a case of coronas lol. Once i joined KFDU and sa the rigged section it was all over for me, now its got backrest, rod holders, Sounder lol.

I actually prefered getting a cheaper kayak that way i can spend more on the accessories.

Also try Gumtree, usually get good bargains there

Ben

Your budget will certainly get you on the water in a yak.
    I only bought mine a few months ago (Wavedance kingfisher), but spent MANY months researching and looking.
    The one thing I found (in the time that I was looking) was that in most cases they really hold their price in the used department.
    Cheapest I ever found a Kingfisher was $700 used. They're $1000 new. Seems for the most part, that the sellers feel that any investment they make on their yak (like a simple $50 rod holder) adds double that value to the yak. I decided to go 'new' so I could customise to my desires.
    The other thing I found, although out of your price range perhaps (but they're well worth saving up for, to get what you want), was that once you hit that magic $800-1000 price mark, the value/quality went up considerably. There seemed, looking around, to be a huge difference between a $1000 yak and a $1300 yak. I just couldn't justify spending anymore than $1000 on a yak.
    Also, keep your eyes peeled on Ananconda. When I first started looking, they had a 30% off sale on their yaks. I've read that their big sales on yaks are fairly common. So if you save your $$$ you could get a really nice one for $700-800.

Oh, and as stated above, jump on Akff, ask questions and check their classifieds!

I love both my tinny and yak for different reasons. i wouldn't consider giving either up.

Kayak fishing, it's damn addctive!