Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Snapper Ban and Associated issues. merged threads

Re: Snapper ban sinks under pressure

I believe the proposed bag limit of 5 is sustainable with the enhancement of not more than 2 over 70cm.
    What did the commercial guys lose? Fair question
    What did the charter guys lose? Another fair question

With all the poor ratings for the current government, is it fair to say that this is a tactic to pervert our concentration away from more damning policy, therefore allowing their popularity to increase in the polls.

Election???

Disappointed but not blind
    Chris

Re: Govt backs down on snapper bans and adopts LNP policy (for now at least)

onya Mark..I even put up your comments re no policy until the election is called..now you say you have some policy. You have lost me..just pollies mumbo jumbo is all you are about. Show some balls and speak the truth..I am sick of this crap from pollies..none inspire me to vote for any of them.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

What a joke this all has turned out to be

As a recreational rep on the snapper working group I have seen the whole snapper debate turn into a shambles ruined by inept burocratic and political decisions which will not improve snapper sustainability one IOTA

Now we have the momentus political decision to reduce in possession limits for snapper from 5 to 4 and with ONLY one snapper over 70cm.

All the recreational anglers who look forward to chasing snapper in the winter months offshore from Mooloolaba north to Sandy Cape will now only be allowed to keep ONE over 70cm (about 4kg). I will not be chasing snapper and investing a few hundred dollars on fuel to fish the wider offshore reefs where snapper over 70cm are common when I can only keep one fish over this size.

I will have to concentrate on Coral reef species north of Double Island until the Commonwealth closes the area from Double Island to about Indian Head and 300nmiles into the Coral Sea. I will then move my fishing efforts to 1770 where in a few years this area will be flogged out from too much fishing pressure.

Maybe I could drive down to Wooli in NSW a couple of times a year and go out with my old mate and catch 10 snapper a trip.

Of course I could target squire in Moreton Bay, Murphys, Caloundra 8 and 12 mile along with the 100's of other tinnies where most of the squire are under 70cm.

I have just about given up on charter fishing where the cost of fuel has driven up the charter cost and now with the expectation of only one snapper over 70cm a charter trip is off the menu. (sorry Keith)

The commercial boats will still be anchoured up at the Hards off Noosa for days on end catching snapper of all sizes with no restrictions on bag or size limits.

I wonder what the Liberal Party Policy will be

Cheers
    Barry

There is smoke and mirrors in every decision this government makes. I do not trust any of them as far as I could throw them off the nearest boatramp pontoon. As many of you guys have stated here this is just the beginning there will be more to come. Labour must of had one of their illustrious brainwaves hey lets give the fisho's this small win make a few adjustments to show we have done our job so we get on their good side not tell the people who are standing up for our right to fish these species about it and hope they votes us back in so we can appiont more people who have no idea what they are doing to make decisions on what we are allowed to catch and how many due to apparent low fish stocks here's an idea labour why don't you take away the vasoline all together I am voting the way I have always voted when an election is called for the AUS Fishing Party.

I don't trust any pollie never have never will I wonder if the tables were turned and the LNP were in power if we would have a labour shadow minister on here doing the same thing. Mate if you think you can come on here and try and sell a policy you cannot say anything about yet and expect us just to vote for you hahaha Let me tell you this mate none of you clowns LNP or Labour do not know what the hell you are doing you are not for the people you are for yourselves go away grow a set of balls and then come back and tell us what you are willing to offer in detail then you may have some listeners none of this snake in the grass bullshit.

I dunno, I just don't get some people.

Mark has been banging on here ad infinitum about "no bans." It has always been LNP Policy that bans would only be the product of sound Scientific study, not politics - why do we know it's policy? Because it's what Mark has always said.

Regarding the idea that Mark release the policy before an election is called. Come on, be reasonable! Of course the LNP has to wait. Like every bloody party waits. It's the standard. If it was the ALP in opposition, all the shills in the posts above (below?) would be nodding their heads in agreement, and saying "Oh yes, the ALP has every right to wait." Objectivity has left the building. So what you guys should say is "Mark, I am painted on ALP, and I will criticise anything and everything you say regardless of your actions and statements thus far, because you are an LNP Member." You thus reduce yourselves to the level of ideologues.

I must say I am particularly pissed with the slot size, and with the reduction in limit. I know these are definitely not outcomes recommended by the Snapper Working Group, and I am going to be really pissed if I discover that these are in fact LNP policy.

I shall be seeking a discussion with Mark regarding that - I want to know which part of the ALP's backdown is LNP policy. Because if it IS bag limit and slot size, I will be questioning my support for the LNP on this issue.

I want to see LNP policy stating that bans, changes in bag/size limit, or slot size introduction will be repealed, and that and future changes will be on the basis of clear and freely published Science, as well as proper consultation. But I am prepared to wait until the election is called for their policy, because every intelligent, objective person understands that this any party's right, and the clearly sensible thing for them and any party to do.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

come on Tim..you are smarter than that. here is what Mark put on here: "As I said, we are carefully consulting fishers, taking advice from key stakeholder groups and formulating policy that will be released once the election is called." Notice..no policy..yes he has been saying no bans but there are still no policies. I believe we all want to see a complete policy on rec and commercial fishing that the LNP will go to an election with.If there is no policy then how can the ALP take their policy and use it??

News flash! Pinhead's ideologically tainted glasses finally prove that eyewear can make a person ignorant!

If what you say is true, then every party that has ever made a statement without having released a specific policy, is talking off the cuff. Is it so hard to grasp the concept of reading between the lines? If Mark says "We will not release the policy," then says "It is our policy that there will be no bans," what does that say to you?

I know. To an ideologue it says "He has no policy so he's lying!" Yep, I reckon he'd really be making sure his political career ended soon if he dropped one liners that were that inaccurate. It's very safe to think no un Science based bans is LNP policy, published or not.

And does anyone really expect that, as you seem to argue, if a party has not released it's policy, it should have nothing at all to say? Just stand there in front of the camera "er, we have nothing yet." Yeah, righto. Or, "Gee, all the guys who hate us want our policies early, so they can manage our agenda." Way for any party to spend eternity in opposition. But that's what you're demanding! Geez I hate how when politics comes up some people have no brain cells.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by no chicken tonight View Post
    Talk about an ungrateful bunch! whatever the reason for this decision!
    Considering the 4 options we were faced with, I thought this is cause for celabration!
    You cant give up 1 snapper? boooo hoooo
    Mate its not about taking one snapper away its a whole lot more than that

Tim, I don't think you are being very objective in this matter. Mark on one hand told us that there is no policy as yet then on the other hand claims that the Labor/Greens have stolen it. He can't have it both ways. It doesn't take a political genius to see he is playing the media game and I for one would much rather he stands true to his word and stop the intrigue if he is going to use this forum to get his points across
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Blythy View Post
    If another ban was held next year from February to March, it could potentially run into State Government elections and strip vital votes from some of Labor's coastal seats.
    Mr Wallace yesterday described the changes as sensible.
    "Queenslanders have a passion for fishing and for the wonderful seafood that this state's waters produce,'' Mr Wallace said.
    "As a keen angler myself, I personally oversaw the consultation process to ensure community views were heard at the highest levels of government,'' he said.

Anglers can now only take 4 snapper instead of 5 and only 1 can be more than 70cm.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    and which Party said this? Is that the same Party that said there would be no carbon tax?

me thinks a State election is not too far away.
    Yep, when they specifically mention If another ban was held next year from February to March, it could potentially run into State Government elections and strip vital votes from some of Labor's coastal seats you know job security is the back of someone's mind.

If this Wallace fella personally oversaw the consultation process to ensure community views were heard at the highest levels of government how come he did not see what he's seeing now ie the reason for the backflip

The other bits about the 4 bag limit with one over 70cm is just another way to try and appease the greenies a little bit whilst trying to take away the heat from the ridiculous closure but all they're doing is p!ssing off everyone a fair bit.
    They're going to have to draw a line in the sand and decide who's votes they want in relation to this subject. The greenies or the rest.
    They cannot, and will not, please everyone in matters such as this....especially where greenies are concerned.

So seeing they now realise the closure was wrong are they going compensate those businesses who lost a fair bit of their yearly income for 6 weeks? How would the politicians who made this closure happen like to lose up to 9% (but in reality more as this closure was during a peak time of the year) of their yearly income?
    Are they going to compensate the rest of us for 6 weeks of lost of amenity??

They'd have to compensate illegal immigrants if their internet or PSII or phones were broken wouldn't they?

I'd be watching very closely as to what happens just after the election. Changing minds on policies seems to be like whether they want hot and spicy or normal Kentucky Fried Chicken. One day it's spicy and the next it's normal recipe.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Incredible View Post
    Scott, can you clarify what your post meant? What is a commercial or charter "outcome" ?

To support Barry, as members of the SNWG we were supposed to be privy to a briefing on the content of the new Snapper management plan. None of us obviously got the nod.

I spoke to a Fisheries Manager to day about the need for a debriefing for all on the SNWG who literally wasted three years of their lives on this process. Hopefully this will occur.

And as a post script to you Scott, given the evidence of post relase mortality from deeper water, there was zero support for a minimum size increase from anyone at any time who were involved in serious discussions with Fisheries. Have you missed this part of a three year conversation on Ausfish?

FRDC are funding a "Young Leaders Program". It is supported by all in Industry as well as Sunfish. Fishing needs some new blood at the top as all of us who have been fighting the battles for at least one decade (plenty for more than two) need a break & to enjoy our well earned retirement in the near future. Its time for you blokes to move out of the shadows and into the spotlight for Sunfish. Our fisheries need representation. Its up to you Scott to become a leader of the future. We all need you up there thinking & acting on behalf of all fishers & the fisheries.

The announcement is a short term politically expedient solution to take the heat off Labour in the short term. I agree completely with Mark Robinson on this. The hard question is this- if there are sustainability concerns over ANY species where the rec/ charter take is highly significant, how can the catch rate be reduced? These issues were dealt with in the SNWG.

The political solution of Wallace says there may be a problem but we will talk about it after the election. A bit like asset sales by Bligh after the last election.............

Cheers,

Keith
    Keith

I have not seen a media release which points out what changes are now to be made specifically towards the charter & commercial sectors ? Other than the fact that charter clients now have a new bag limit as general rec anglers ?

The minimum size comment was "my own" and I am aware of the post release issue from deep water & general hook mortality - we're still going to have these issues with the current regs & reduced bag limits in any case ......

RE: Young leaders program - I'm too old

I still personally support the final Sunfish submission on Snapper over all & look forward to the new review process.......

Regards Scotto
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 27-06-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

NEWS FLASH..Tim's LNP allegiances do not enable him to seek the simplest thing..a policy.
    I also hate how some peoples brain cells are just locked in tunnel vision.

The ALP stinks and the alternative tells us nothing. They are just relying on the dislike of the ALP to help them win an election..politics sucks. None of them come out with positives..just want to shoot at the other players.

If the LNP wants to win the next election then stand up with some policies..state the positives of their policies without once even mentioning the ALP..now that would be refreshing.

None of you get it. You know, about how in life there are "want to haves" and there are "realities".

Sure, it would be nice to have policies released immediately. No Party does it. None. Why? Because they'd be damned stupid to do it, and if you can't figure out why, then you're stuck in a box.

Sure, you can insist that if a policy hasn't been released, they can't talk about anything. Well, that's a real smart demand. No time in the Media, and condemned to Opposition forever.

Let's script it, huh?

Reporter: Let's go now to Mark Robinson, LNP Member for Cleveland, and ask him what the LNP's response to the new ALP Policy is.

Mark Robinson: (shifting nervously from foot to foot) I'm sorry, we haven't released our Policy, so I can't say anything.

Reporter: Are you serious Mr. Robinson? You are the Fisheries Spokeman, but you have nothing to say?

Mark Robinson: (Looking like he wishes he was anywhere else on the Planet right now) That's right, I have nothing to say, and I stand by it.

Reporter: casting a sideways glance at Mark: There you have it Folks, the LNP has nothing to say.

(Cut to Canberra)

Reporter: Mr. Brown, what do you think of the LNP's comments?

Bob Brown: (glancing up and down at the male Reporter, as if sizing him up for a latex suit) Well, it just shows that the LNP are a policy free zone, that they know nothing about anything. Mark Robinson said it himself: He has nothing to say.

(and so on, let the imagination run wild...)

So it doesn't matter which way an Opposition Party does it, you guys will damn them - even though it is the only way in the Real World that you can do it.

I stand by my comment: if the LNP adopt the policy of 4 Snapper and a Slot Limit prior to commissioning and completing the Science they promised previously, they will lose my support. That sounds like LNP coloured glasses, doesn't it?

Tim

Re: Snapper Ban time: will Wally wimp out to the Greens ... what's your guess ???

For those that didn't catch it on the news last night, Mr Wallace found a happy medium by not having a ban next year and dropping the bag limit to 4. I reckon that's a reasonable result for anglers and hopefully sets a precedent for angling regulation ie. don't have closed seasons or even closed areas but simply limit the catch more.