Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Snapper Ban and Associated issues. merged threads

Re: Snapper ban sinks under pressure

What a load of crap!!! As I have previously stated at the RIS meeting (That was me on chanel 7 and 9 news) there are more snapper out there than there have ever been in the last 10 years. Have a look at Indy's post 2 weeks ago. He would be dambed pressed to get an under 70cm fish. All this will do is put more presure on the inshore reefs. I will no longer go out to my usual grounds 60klm out and get my 5, 4kg fish as I can't justify the fuel. All I will do now is hit the inshore reefs and ore often. Friday afternoons will be a common theme and getting my 4 fish then back up to do it again the following week and so on. I will use less fuel and catch more fish albeit the quality won't be there. All I can say is see ya Julia!!!!!

Goona

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    What a load of crap!!! As I have previously stated at the RIS meeting (That was me on chanel 7 and 9 news) there are more snapper out there than there have ever been in the last 10 years. Have a look at Indy's post 2 weeks ago. He would be dambed pressed to get an under 70cm fish. All this will do is put more presure on the inshore reefs. I will no longer go out to my usual grounds 60klm out and get my 5, 4kg fish as I can't justify the fuel. All I will do now is hit the inshore reefs and ore often. Friday afternoons will be a common theme and getting my 4 fish then back up to do it again the following week and so on. I will use less fuel and catch more fish albeit the quality won't be there. All I can say is see ya Julia!!!!!

Goona

Yes the incentive to travel offshore to target snapper (where they are plentiful) has just about gone. More boats targeting the inshore closer reefs is what will happen. No feedback was sought from the recreational stakeholders before the decision was announced so why should recreational anglers participate in the proposed voluntary catch card?

To make matters worse Sunfish has congratulated the Minister on the decision

Cheers
    Barry

I agree that there should have been more consideration towards increasing the minimum size limit to 40cm & leaving the bay limit at 5 with 2 over 70cm as was proposed in the Sunfish Submission.I look forward to the commercial & charter outcomes now as well ........

Regards Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    What a load of crap!!! . All I will do now is hit the inshore reefs and ore often. Friday afternoons will be a common theme and getting my 4 fish then back up to do it again the following week and so on.
    Goona
    You sure eat a lot of fish,4 snapper a week and every week seems a bit over the top.

Govt backs down on snapper bans and adopts LNP policy (for now at least)

Dr Mark Robinson MP
    Shadow Minister for Main Roads, Fisheries &
    Marine Infrastructure
    LNP Member for Cleveland

26 June 2011

Snapper ban backflip another election year stunt

A snapper fishing ban back down was likely to be only a temporary reprieve to get the Bligh Labor Government past the next State Election, the State Opposition warned today.
    LNP Shadow Fisheries Minister Mark Robinson said Labor had only backed down because a snapper ban in February and March next year would have coincided with when the election is due.
    “Labor has never been a friend of the fishing community and Queenslanders shouldn’t believe them now,” he said.
    “Labor will do and say anything to get elected. Last time, Labor promised to keep the fuel subsidy and said they wouldn’t sell state assets, but then broke their promises within weeks of being re-elected.
    “A snapper ban should never have been imposed in the first place and didn’t make sense to those in the industry.
    “The LNP and fishing groups had been saying for months this ban should not have been imposed.
    “This incompetent Labor government only ever acts when it is in their political interest - they never get it right the first time.
    “Fishing closures and bans are always Labor’s preferred position on fisheries management so this cynical back down is likely to be just an election eve stunt.
    "Only the Can Do LNP team will plan for a sustainable fishing future, do the proper science, protect our marine life, support our marine industries and secure the right to fish responsibly.
    “We will work for Queenslanders, not for ourselves.”

How many rec fishers on AUSFISH really believe that this govt after the Qld election will honour this commitment to not repeat their 2011 snapper ban sometime in 2012? Do you believe the Bligh govt to keep their word? Anyone?

Re: Govt backs down on snapper bans and adopts LNP policy (for now at least)

ok Mark, what is your partys policy on fishing/snapper bans etc? your last post suggested you will wait until election time to give details on your policies. Your blog is suggesting an election is immenent so if you dont mind can you let us fish'n folk on ausfish know the LNP's policies. kindest regards, Tony.

"As I said, we are carefully consulting fishers, taking advice from key stakeholder groups and formulating policy that will be released once the election is called. If we do any sooner, the typical thing is Labor attack it, then months later rebadge our ideas as their policy, then claim the LNP is policy free. But we will release policies prior to the election - policies that will make it clear where we are going in producing a sustainable future for our state's fisheries while protecting the right to fish."

"Govt backs down on snapper bans and adopts LNP policy (for now at least)"

HUH??????????

Looks like I need to invest in a nsw licence and catch my bag limit of 10 fish at 30cm.

If those snapper in nsw are smart migrate over the boarder.

What a complete and utter farce this whole snapper review has been. If there is an issue with stock this reduction will do sweet fa. I think they realize this will be a tight one to win and this is far from over if they are re-elected so probably the real win for recs is they need our votes. What's the go now with Pearlies and Trag plus the charter commercial guys?

Snapper ban canned!!!

No more snapper ban but the bag limit is down to 4 from 5....

Re: Snapper ban canned!!!

dont get ya panties in a knot !

It's the start ! !!!!!

MR is on track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only Can do knows the real policy and what the others within the party can't do is tell us without can do's express permission.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Never once have i heard your policy on snapper, and yet you state they have followed the lnp policy, infact your mob havent had the balls to come out and say exactly what your policy would be, so you wouldnt tread on anyones toes just yet.
    Maybe it had more to do with the amount of reprisals and feed back from the people who actually target this species that made the difference in the final results.
    Last edited by webby; 26-06-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: edit

Some indisputable facts from the public record:
    1. In March 2009, as an LNP candidate I opposed Labor's Green zone bans to rec fishers in Moreton Bay. This was widely publicised. Our election policy was 1 line per rec fisher in the Green zones.
    2. Since that time I and the LNP have consistently opposed Labor's fishing bans and closures
    3. The LNP opposed Labors snapper ban announced in December 2010. Again much publicity in the media covered this. I am on public record against Labors bans.
    4. The LNP introduced a disallowance motion in the Qld parliament (I seconded Ray Hopper's motion in the house) in February 2011 to stop the 6 week snapper ban.
    5. The LNP debated and voted against the snapper ban in the Qld parliament in March. Labor MPs all voted in support of snapper bans. Labor MPs who spoke, ALL spoke FOR snapper bans and said the science dictated the necessity of the bans.

These are the indisputable facts.

Only the LNP has consistently fought against snapper bans. The Labor govt has just adopted our policy of sustainable fishing without bans, but they cannot be trusted to deliver on it.