Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Snapper Ban and Associated issues. merged threads

Re: Snapper Ban time: will Wally wimp out to the Greens ... what's your guess ???

I also agree that Rec anglers need to assit in providing data for the fishery. I think it was Lovey80 (???) that also had a similar idea to mine when it comes to sampling due to the fact that only Gold Coast data was extrapolated last time. The idea was to break into zones - for example Gold Coast, North Stradbroke, Moreton, Caloundra etc. approx 50klm zones. It would also be useful to add the amount that we fish: for example ~ once per month (me), 5 times per month, greater then 10 times per month.

To be statisticaly correct you need a sample size of at least 30.

Lets take one zone: Moreton

Divide into frequencies: 1 per month, 5 per month, 10 times per month

From this information you could start to obatin some reasonable data about the fishery and take from the Rec Sector.

The final piece of the puzzle is to then work out amongst all the rec fishing fraternity what is the weighting of each of the Frequencies i.e. how many rec fishers fish once a month, 5 times a month, 10 times a month. This would then allow data collected in each zone to be extrapolated into something that is meaningful.

This could be achieved by survey, phone poll, questionarie with rego (I'm sure many other ways)

I for one would volunteer my time to do this. For the Moreton district, approx 90 volunteers would be needed and the same for the Gold Coast, Nth Stradbroke etc.

I am sure there would be others willing to to do the same??

What would I like in return?? (nothing is free)

I would like the data being entered by the volunteers to be transparent on a website. I can see what I'm entering, how it totals up for the month / year by region etc.

Why do I want it transparent?? - When people start saying "there is no way that 80% of the population fishes 10+times per month" you can then ask if they have repsonded to the weighting survey. Start putting the responsibility back to the people that aren't responding. Transparency will assist in getting the correct results. It takes longer to type a message here than ticking a box 1/month (etc)

I am not a scientist, and haven't been at uni for many years so the above is a the sort of thing that I would like to see and willing to assist in developing. Albeit it may have to be tweaked to get the correct coverage etc.

Kind of sounds like a great thesis for someone at UNI doing a doctorate etc

Regards Adam

Re: Snapper Ban time: will Wally wimp out to the Greens ... what's your guess ???

You're a legend Adam, and you're right some young punk should be looking at this sort of thing for a thesis but what you're proposing is not a 12 month operation it would have to continue indefinitely. hey phill this is the sort of thing that groups such as ecofishers need to be jumping on board with, it is in all recreational angler's interests to make sure we have the best data available on the health of the fishery we use and enjoy.

Thanks Adam and Paddles.

Yes..... the system of " Regional " management has been brought up many times and at all levels of consultation during the Snapper RIS.

As you probably know, the Snapper fishery goes from Tweed Heads to Mackay. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that Snapper are NOT a target species off Mackay and also that they are heavily targeted south of say Mooloolaba.

The numbers in areas you talk about are gained, but only by commercial and charter catches.

There is a process / program under discussion to attempt to do something similar to what you are talking about Adam.

Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Snapper ban sinks under pressure

Did anyone else see this in the Sunday Mail today?

Snapper ban sinks under pressure
    June 26, 2011 12:01AM

QUEENSLAND recreational fishers can raise their rods in triumph after the State Government bowed to community pressure and dumped a planned six-week ban on snapper next year.
    In a move chalked up to people power, the Government will today announce it will not repeat its controversial ban that ran from February to March.
    But under a new sustainability plan, which will be reviewed in three years, recreational bag limits will be reduced from five to four, and a voluntary online monitoring program will start.
    A new recreational fishing advisory group will be formed to advise the Government on fishing policy.
    Acting Premier Paul Lucas said the future of snapper could be ensured without imposing bans.
    "We have to balance the need to protect this species, the jobs the fishing industry provides and the right for Queenslanders to chuck in a line,'' Mr Lucas said.
    "We are still committed to rebuilding snapper stocks, but doing it in such a way that doesn't threaten industry or the Queensland way of life.''
    Former Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin announced the ban last year, citing studies that showed snapper stocks had plummeted by 65 per cent since the 1940s.
    But the Government received intense feedback from mum-and-dad anglers, charter businesses and commercial fishers.
    Businesses claimed they would lose income, while other anglers and some scientists said the measures would not help replenish stocks.
    At the time, a Government regulatory impact statement for Rocky Reef Fin Fish Fishery also mooted a plan to tax anglers for catching snapper. But Craig Wallace, who was appointed Fisheries Minister earlier this year, dumped the plan, and recent meetings with peak fishing group Sunfish led to moves to end the six-week prohibition.
    If another ban was held next year from February to March, it could potentially run into State Government elections and strip vital votes from some of Labor's coastal seats.
    Mr Wallace yesterday described the changes as sensible.
    "Queenslanders have a passion for fishing and for the wonderful seafood that this state's waters produce,'' Mr Wallace said.
    "As a keen angler myself, I personally oversaw the consultation process to ensure community views were heard at the highest levels of government,'' he said.

Anglers can now only take 4 snapper instead of 5 and only 1 can be more than 70cm.

Re: Snapper ban sinks under pressure

when does the bag limit change?

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

I recall the Minister promising to consult with recreational stakeholders before a decision was announced

I am on Sunfish's email list and have heard nothing but just read it in the sunday paper

Reducing the already small baglimit from 5 to 4 is in some ways worse than the 6 weeks closure. Sunfish's position was to leave the bag limit at 5 with only 2 over 70cm which in my opinion would have been more sensible for all concerned.

Cheers
    Barry

and which Party said this? Is that the same Party that said there would be no carbon tax?

me thinks a State election is not too far away.

I can live with these changes. These restrictions would probably only influence my results in about 5% of my trips where I target snapper as part of my days fishing. While the jury is still out as to the real stress the current poulation is under I can see some value in applying some stronger management restrictions until we get more data. Four fish gives me a good feed and I fish for the fun of it rather than trying to cover fuel and other expenses.
    I was under the impression from the Fishery scientists that changing bag or size limits would be of minimal value to the population rebuilding. I expect a TAC will be in place for charter and commercial sectors.
    It still seems more sensible to have had some community consultation with stakeholders before making the changes.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I would have been alot happier with an increase in the min size rather than a reduction in bag limit, it will be interesting to find out when the new regs will be put into place

Yup! There must be an election coming.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    and which Party said this? Is that the same Party that said there would be no carbon tax?

me thinks a State election is not too far away.
    Never a truer word was said Greg. You can smell an election in the air. Either that or the septic is backed up.

Steev

Not a win for anglers except in the thinnest of vein, as pinhead says all about votes, one good thing is they are just starting to respect angler voting power even if only on marginal seats...need to reinforce this curiosity till we have a few wins in our own right.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

For sustainability Recreational anglers have further restrictions of 4 snapper with only 1 over 70cm BUT no mention of what Commercial fishos are foregoing in the name of sustainability.

Cheers
    Barry
    Last edited by dayoo; 26-06-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: signature

Barry, I too, am disappointed that ECOfishers were not informed of the media release prior to it going public.

First I heard / read was in the Sunday Mail.

We were promised closer consultation when Mullherin was shunted.

Yes, Neil, the Science, as it stands, does tend to suggest that increased size limits or decreased bags limits have a limited.... short term effect on Bio-Mass. The scientists do not believe that the bag limit / size limit option is a good one for the long term.

promises, promises........... fffftttttttt !

LP.

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

70cm is a pretty small fish, they taste fantastic up to around 80cm. stupid rule and will mean a lot of deep water snapa end up as shark food.