Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Snapper Ban and Associated issues. merged threads

Re: Snapper ban sinks under pressure

Looking back on this I think this is far better than a 6 week ban. While I am still firmly in the camp where I don't think drastic changes are needed at all, it is certainly better than a 4 month ban or even a 6 week ban. I would have preferred something like a 5 in possession limit, 40cm minimum with 2 fish over 70cm. The issue here is that there are a sh!t load of Snapper around, everyone knows that. Just that the numbers are mostly in the smaller brackets and hence they claim the "Biomass" is too low. By protecting more of the larger models (bigger spawners also) we are keeping larger fish in the Biomass for longer, spawning more. 5@40cm with 2 over 70cm would have made me happy. It would only take a year for the 35cm models to reach size and if my boat has 4 POB and I can manage 8 fish over 70cm and another 12 between 40 and 70cm then with the pearlies, parrot etc etc around that is a good day IMO and should keep the freezers at bay until the next trip.

My biggest laugh at this is that this has confirmed that this WHOLE process was about hammering Rec Anglers!!! Proven right here right now with this announcement. I said it from the start! Fisheries are there just to support the commercial sector! Not one mention of a TAC for Commercial Fisho's so for them it's business as usual????? I don't think Charter operators should have a TAC along with the Rec as lets face it the Charter Operators themselves aren't taking home the fish, it is the Rec Angler.

This was all about getting bigger profits for Commercial fishermen, nothing to do with stocks.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

This is very disappointing, but we can fire Bligh and her buch of no-hopers a the next election. The more worrying aspect is that we wont be able to fire the army of brainwashed greenies that occupy vast areas of the public service.

Like Horse this would only effect 5% of my trips (the ones where I am lucky enough to bag out. I generally only keep fish over 40cm long and would be more in favour of increasing minimium size limts (maybe introducing upper limits depending on the science).

I havn't actually been able to fish for over two months because of other committments, now I find myself in Fiji for a week with all the local charters with bigger boats either booked out or not running because of poor weather, my consolation thought is getting back to Brisbane and picking up a feed of winter snapps (a quick look at seabreeze says this isn't looking good) I must have done something to upset the fishing gods.... maybe too much kava.

Cheers
    Glenn
    Last edited by cervelo; 28-06-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: mistake

Re: Govt backs down on snapper bans and adopts LNP policy (for now at least)

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    But Mark has said all of this stuff, and it seems a really smart idea to wait and see what they have set as Policy, at the time when every party (including the ALP) in the known Universe (except in Fairy land, which seems by some people's remarks here a well populated place) releases it's Policy: when it knows when the Election will be.
    Tim
    So Tim does this mean the LNP is living in Fairy Land, cause you'll find 12 recently released LNP policies here http://www.candoqld.com.au/policies
    Campbel Newman is releasing LNP policies (no fishing yet) on his web site all the time and no election date yet! Honestly Tim, you should check out this stuff they're telling you and don't take it all for granted mate.

I must live in fairy land..I am sick to death of pollies treating us like idiots. If they want to be elected then have solid platforms of policies that the Party stands for...not just release them whenever an election is due.
    This goes for all pollies. Either stand up and shout out what you believe or get hell out of the game. We are being treated like pawns by all these pollies...and I have some news for them..the electorate is a tad s#####er than what they may think. I speak to a lot of people every day..most have had a gutful of Bligh (and that is from many ALP stalwarts) yet they don't know bugger all about the LNP because they say nothing but criticise the ALP..forget that and say what you stand for..in real terms for the general populace to know and understand.
    Tim..I spent years growing up around all the political crap long before you were even in Qld..i also worked at Parliament House for 2 years..I could tell some clangers of stories about some of the pollies then.

And if they get elected and let us down Tim..they won't care what you say or do..they will be where they want to be and nothing else matters.

Hell..I also need ot know who else is going to stand in my electorate..The incumbent is useless..the LNP candidate ain't my cup of tea..not much choice I am afraid.

Re: Snapper Ban time: will Wally wimp out to the Greens ... what's your guess ???

Brownie was fuming the other morning on the radio. As they are not only dropping the bag limit to four for recreational anglers but we will only be allowed to keep one snapper over 70cm. Dunno when it comes into play. But what restrictions is this government going to put on professional fishing??????????????????????????? They can keep rape-ing them in their breeding season. The recreational take is a spit in the ocean compared to what they are taking! Wake Up.
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

Re: Snapper ban canned!!!

Like I was saying, It will only be the amateurs that are penalised!!

I'm just going to wait for the policy.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I'm just going to wait for the policy.

Tim
    But the LNP & your mate must have a policy ......... look at the heading of this thread Tim ..... written by your mate & LNP fisheries spokesperson .

Chris

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Cervelo. You better change your Avatar. Those two 80cm+ Snapps will put you in the poacher category now
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    But the LNP & your mate must have a policy ......... look at the heading of this thread Tim ..... written by your mate & LNP fisheries spokesperson .

Chris

Chris
    Hi Nagg. We have consistently said one key plank to our platform for rec fishing is sustainable fishing without bans

So one more time , where is the bloody policy that mark is talking about not some hearsay from one of his followers . Surely you understand what we are after , I have been a true labor supporter and am not happy with the way things are in this country but I refuse to accept the gibberish and inuendo that mark and his follower have posted. GIVE ME FACTS or get out of here insulting our intelligence . Surely the release of some sort in relation to fishing policy isn't going to hurt considering all the other stuff cando seems ok to release , get real you blokes your stating to look like a joke but what even scarier is who do I vote for ... Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Hi Nagg. We have consistently said one key plank to our platform for rec fishing is sustainable fishing without bans
    Gov backs down on Snapper bans & adopts LNP policy ........ so you do have a policy for reducing bag limits & introducing slot limits ? ...... am I reading this right ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Snapper Ban time: will Wally wimp out to the Greens ... what's your guess ???

Quote Originally Posted by waterbouy View Post
    Dunno when it comes into play.

But what restrictions is this government going to put on professional fishing??????????????????????????? They can keep rape-ing them in their breeding season. The recreational take is a spit in the ocean compared to what they are taking! Wake Up.
    Thanks for the concern waterbouy.

Firstly, the new regs have to pass through parliament, could be 2 months could be 4 - 6 weeks before next years election.

Secondly, can you link me or point me in the direction of " recreation take is a spit compared to commercial ". I would be keen you see the figures you have and where they came from.

Looking forward to them, cheers

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Don't lose sight of what we could have had imposed on us. Bag limit of 2, fee to catch snapper and closures.
    Barry, you as well as everyone else complained about the data that Fisheries Qld. were using. Online monitoring by snapper fishers instead of whiting fishers or crabbers will provide more accurate data. We just need to make sure that this data is available to all of us and not just a filtered version.
    Sunfish has enquired of the Minister and been assured that if the data proves what we have been saying about snapper stocks then the bag limit will be increased.
    I would say there is definitely an election in the air, get your wishlists ready.

Judy,

Did BP & Sunfish agree to this management plan for Snapper on behalf of Qld anglers?

Cheers,

Keith

Everyone seems to focus on bans and regulation instead of good research and data collection? It's kind of like having an answer without first having a question.

The quest for good information should be what steers fisheries regulation, good fisheries management should steer the quest for that information and most importantly, it's analysis. And most importantly of all, the process should not be politicised and should be transparent for all.