Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hardcore offshore soft plastic rig

hardcore offshore soft plastic rig

I'm currently using a egrell bear S10-H with a 4000 certate spooled with 20lb fireline for my offshore soft plastic fishing. It's a good combo but i would like a slightly heavier rod for chucking anything from 1-3oz jigheads and a little bit more pulling power. I noticed Eric makes a rod called the bear essential which is 7 foot, rated at 8-15kg and a lure weight of 30-120 grams. I'm wondering if the new 4000 or 4500 saltiga would suit this rod.

The saltiga 4000 weighs 440 grams and the 4500 weighs 585 grams, im just after a well balanced combo with good fish pulling power.

Intrested to hear peoples opinions

cheers tim

Re: hardcore offshore soft plastic rig

Tim that exactly what I have bear essential and a 4500 saltiga !!!! Casts those 4oz elevator jig heads a breeze!!!! And heaps of pulling power!!! Don't look any further mate just go get one haha

Quote Originally Posted by Escape with LG View Post
    Tim that exactly what I have bear essential and a 4500 saltiga !!!! Casts those 4oz elevator jig heads a breeze!!!! And heaps of pulling power!!! Don't look any further mate just go get one haha

Sent you a PM, sorry about all the questions

cheers tim

Tim, I have the Bear Essential with a Diawa Certate spooled with 50lb Jigman. Works well with all sizes of jigheads, the larger poppers and 200g jigs.

Cheers,
    Wags

Certates are great reels, but the new saltiga gives me a woody

I just dont know what size will balance better on the bear essentials rod

cheers tim

Pm sent Tim

Another option is a Smith KGS 70MH
    Tangles KFC

(edit..somehow double posted)
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Another option is a Smith KGS 70MH

Nar i'm a fan of the Egrell rods, plus the Smith has foam grips which in my opinion get damaged to easy.

cheers tim

Tim i am the sane as escape ,get yourself a 4500 saltiga they are a drem and a egrell essential would be ideal I use a angler rod braid buster 10-15 kg when the big kings come on but i use my s10 h the rest of the year when placcie and live baiting ofshore . I have the s-extreme 4500 saltiga but the new one does look good but maybe have a llook on allan alantis web site he did a comparison with a stella and he wasnt very impressed but i get the feeling he is a bit in shimano but i cant say for sure i know i am sticking with daiwa they seem tough enough for me and my salty gets used regularly over the last 3 yrs ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Tim i am the sane as escape ,get yourself a 4500 saltiga they are a drem and a egrell essential would be ideal I use a angler rod braid buster 10-15 kg when the big kings come on but i use my s10 h the rest of the year when placcie and live baiting ofshore . I have the s-extreme 4500 saltiga but the new one does look good but maybe have a llook on allan alantis web site he did a comparison with a stella and he wasnt very impressed but i get the feeling he is a bit in shimano but i cant say for sure i know i am sticking with daiwa they seem tough enough for me and my salty gets used regularly over the last 3 yrs ...matt
    Yeah i just read the review on the new saltiga and it doesnt sound good, i will probably go with a 4500 S Extreme or a Stella if theres a suitable size to suit the bear essentials. will the slightly heavier combo be nice to chuck plastics around with all day ?? I know the S10-H/Certate combo is light enough to use all day but i won't be keeping this combo when i upgrade.

cheers tim

TIM D why dont you sit down with eric and have a custom built for you.
    for the cost of his stock rods it could not be much more really unless you change guides etc
    just a thought
    ian

I have the Stella SW 5000 and it's around 400 grams, noticeable smaller than the 4500 size Daiwa reels. It's incredibly powerful though and will take 30 to 40 lb braid no worries.
    I myself am a bit concerned about servicing of the new Saltiga with the magnetic ferro fluid. I'd be more inclined to get the old model Saltiga that's also cheaper if you still wanted to stay with Daiwa.

Are you only looking at the top range reels?

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    I have the Stella SW 5000 and it's around 400 grams, noticeable smaller than the 4500 size Daiwa reels. It's incredibly powerful though and will take 30 to 40 lb braid no worries.
    I myself am a bit concerned about servicing of the new Saltiga with the magnetic ferro fluid. I'd be more inclined to get the old model Saltiga that's also cheaper if you still wanted to stay with Daiwa.

Are you only looking at the top range reels?

Yeah im not sure if you read my previous post but i have gone off the new saltiga after reading a bad review on them. Im a bit of a Daiwa fan so im leaning towards a 4500 saltiga S-Extreme.

I looked at a few of Frankoo's old posts and noticed he has used some saltigas on his egrell rods before.

I will have a chat with Eric over the weekend and see what he thinks about a Bear Essentials rod with the 4500 S-Extreme running 30 or 40 or maybe 50 lb braid.

cheers tim

My 'Hardcore' SP outfit is an Egrell PoppaBear teamed with a Saragossa 8000, magic outfit for 2-4oz jig heads [mainly NZ Cyclops] on 7-9in SPs in 70+m of water, never noticed the weight factor of the reel as it's a totally different style to shallow SP fishing.
    It makes a good popping/spinning outfit as well.
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit