Thread: heavy jigging reel

heavy jigging reel

Gday All

Can anyone please recommend a heavy offshore spin jigging reel?
    Was firm on the stella 8000swpg but when i had a look, i decided it was a bit small.
    Im tossing up between the 20k stella, 6500 expedition, 6500 S extreme, or the 6500 catalina. We fish in waters 100-150m with jigs ranging from 200-400g and 50-80lb braid.
    Has anybody had any experiences with these reels? Its a big investment so i want to make sure i make a good decision. Ive done a lot of research and read the reviews on the stella and saltiga but just wanted some thoughts with fellow ausfish members.

Kindly appreciated
    Josh

Re: heavy jigging reel

Saltiga 6500 or Stella 20000, you can't go wrong with either

cheers tim

I would go an S-Extreme 6500 (red one). I have the S Extreme Maverick 4500, and 2 of my fishing buddies use the Red S extreme 4500, and they get hammered and still run like the day the came out of the box.

All of us would love to justify getting one in the bigger sizes, but we don't catch anything that we can't handle on PE4 on our 4500's.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback

Not a bad idea to get the S extreme in low gear ratio (not the maverick). I have the expedition and it's a tank but the drag was a bit sticky out of the box as was my mates. The S-extreme fixed that so unless you can get an expedition cheaper then upgrade to carbontex go with the red bling!!
    Then again the Stella 20000 is arguably a better reel and more importantly you should be able to get one a little cheaper.
    You'll be happy with any of the above as they are the flagship reels for this type of fishing. It's such a tough call I'd go on price to make my decision.

What is your definition of heavy? Heavy fish (e.g. 50lbs Sambo), heavy jigs (400g), heavy drag (15Kg) or just heavy reel (900g)?

The reason I'm asking is because the Stella 8000PG ticks 3 out of the 4 (and of course both the 20000 and Saltiga extreme tick all 4), so it qualifies as heavy in my books.

The main difference in terms of fishability between the 8000 and the 20000 is line capacity, especially with thick braids. I know because I wasted a spool of ultra-jigman on mine, as I didn't feel comfortable with only 210m and I had to re-spool with another (finer) braid.

Anyway, both the Stella 20000 and the Saltiga extreme 6500 as awesome reels, the stella feels smoother, but the red extreme just looks fantastic! Though choice...

Anyone used the new Ryobi's yet? heard a lot of feedback from blokes oversees that they are pretty good for jigging at a cheaper price compared to the Stellas etc - just wondering if you get value for money, or just what you pay for?

6500 s extreme for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    the red extreme just looks fantastic!

Like this one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys for the replies. Sorry its taken me a while to reply back...not easy when you have to work two jobs.
    Anyway, ive decided on the Stella 20000SW. They are smoother, have better drags, stronger gears and greater cranking power.
    Nothing wrong with saltigas. I just think the Stella comes out on top.

Metaloid - by heavy, i meant jigging in 100-150m, jigs from 200-400g and using 50-80lb braid as stated in the original post

Trueblue - ive heard the ryobi is a tough jigging reel and great value for money. Many charters use them extensively without issues.

Thanks to all that replied and i hope this post has helped many anglers who, like me, love my jigging!