Thread: Which cast net???

Which cast net???

I want to get a better cast net, as the one I have does not open out flat, and have seen one which is a synthetic string net. Nice and soft, but wondering what the pros and cons are. Also tossing up between a normal net with the pocket around the bottom or a drawstring net.

Interested to hear from those who have used a synthetic string net and what they think of them, and also what your thoughts are about whether a drawstring net is any more difficult to use?

Also what size is best? I am only 5'4" but stronger than the average female. Some say the bigger the net the easier it is to throw. What do you think?

Thanks to all who reply.

Cheers Eleanor

Re: Which cast net???

Eleanor,
    The one im using at the moment is a top and bottom pocket type and whether its prawns or bait fish it works a treat.
    Ive never thrown a draw string type so dont know how they go but most nets are flat and if you are throwing it properly you should be able to get it to hit the water wide open and flat.
    Have a look in the serch for cast nets and you'll find a heap of stories and also the guy on here that makes them...

cheers

Thanks Wayne,
    The one I have at present definitely won't open - you can spread it out by hand on the grass and it has a pony tail in the middle- just a heap of junk

i had a synthetic one since i was 16, allways had trouble thought it was me, but now i have a mono one (like fishing line) works every time, i think the other one as it gets wet it gets harder, i brought mine (7')for $80 its a sure cast, you can get the ezy cast with a alloy ring witch you can cast with one hand( apparently) for $90. my new mono net even my eight year old can get a good spread.

I got mine of ebay.....yes i know, a cheap and nasty chineese import but if i get any holes in it i fix them straight away(dont let them get worse) and always wash it out after use. its a 12 footer and cost $80.00. Paid for its self many time over just with prawns caught let alone bait that i havent had to buy..

Thanks, blueline,
    I guess the synthetic net would get heavier once it was wet, whereas the mono wouldn't absorb water like the string type would. Didn't think of that. Is that what you mean about it getting harder when wet? Definitely won't get a string one. Thanks for your help.

Cheers Eleanor

Hi Wayne,

I buy a lot of stuff off ebay. Do you think the sure cast ones are better quality?

Cheers Eleanor

This is who i got mine off but this one is an 8 foot model.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-FT-CAST...item4cf7f232be

Quote Originally Posted by fishel View Post
    Thanks, blueline,
    I guess the synthetic net would get heavier once it was wet, whereas the mono wouldn't absorb water like the string type would. Didn't think of that. Is that what you mean about it getting harder when wet? Definitely won't get a string one. Thanks for your help.

Cheers Eleanor
    yes thats right gets heavy, but seems to catch on it self, were as the mono seems to spring out.

Fishel,

Greetings, how are you?

Get in contact with Pero, he makes cast nets and they are good but does cost more than BCF etc. Chain on the bottom is a lot better than lead whch tends to cling at times.
    You can always make enquiries with Pero at the onset. Stay away from synthetics...mono is the way to go and does not absorb water.

I managed to get one Salmon and two tailor last week. Will be going down the coast again sometime next week.

I'll be in touch.

Cheers, Peter

If your after bait, then BCF nets are fine. Custom made cast nets are mainly for serious prawners. If you threw a custom made net around creek mouths and around mangroves, It would be a waste of good money. A bottom pocket takes me 5-6 hours to tie on a net . The cost would be prohibitive considering a net without bottom pocket starts at $250.