Thread: Rooney's (off fraser) ??????

Rooney's (off fraser) ??????

Am planning a trip to Roonies and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on travelling there as I have never been there. Is there any sandflats or chanels to watch out for? Can you camp on the beach there and does anyone know any bait marks or good reef fishing marks in that area, that they are willing to share? Any info on this spot would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Re: Rooney's (off fraser) ??????

Be aware of the Green zones in this area. Roughly 67kms from Burnett Heads as the crow flies or 61kms from the Urangan boat harbour. Do a search with a keyword 'Roonies' .

Did a trip there last October. Platypus Bay is a lot like Moreton Bay. A bloody long way with large sand banks in the middle. Blew 20 knt's ( predicted 10) when we went and it stands up just like the bay down here. Running tight to the Island will add about another 10 mile's to the trip. About 10-12 km's from Urangan harbour to Moon Point and the another 50 or so to Rooneys in a straight line so distance and fuel are a consideration. We took an extra 80 ltr's on top of 110 in the underfloor tank but didn't accurately factor in the loss of mileage due to the extra weight. My boat normally uses 1 ltr per mile but on that trip we used 190 ltr's for 140 miles travelled and did the last part from Moon Point on the end of a VMR rope. We did do the run all the way to the tip of Fraser just short Breaksea Spit which was the ultimate destination but would have made it home if we hadn't!! ( an extra 15- 20 mile's each way)
    I have got some marks and stuff I did up in a folder which I still have if you are interested. I am at Brackenridge so send me a pm if you want. I would say go for it but beware of the distances involved. A magic place that I will go back to one day and be better prepared next time. We slept on the boat (couldn't see another boat at all after sundown) but I don't see why you couldn't camp on the beach.
    The most difficult part as far as sand banks/shallows go is between Urangan harbour and Moon point and but get some maps and you will be fine. My only other suggestion would be to join Fish'n'tales, the Hervey bay based site and ask some questions and search the forum for info. Great bunch of bloke's only too willing to help and plenty of info to gather for your trip!!!

Cheers......Terry......
    Last edited by therapy; 14-06-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Will top up on Therapy's great info.

On the way between moon point and rooney's you have a number of little reefs which are worth a troll. Arch cliffs, station hill, to name a few. Marks are readily available on the net. Shallow grounds are pretty much around the pelican banks. On a low tide it's best to either go south of them, and then sharp turn to the north, or head north, then slight right up towards the point. This way will take you into open water, whereas the other way will keep you in partially smooth waters. Once you hit moon point, if you go that way, you will be ok for depth as long as you stick to the drops, right up to rooney's. Look for sails cruising the shallows in the warmer months, as well as goldens. Also keep your eyes peeled for birds working out wider. Like therapy said, can;t see why you can't camp up on the beach. Dunno if you'd get many [atrols through there, anyway. Either way keep all food and bait out of dingo's reach, 'cos they will slap you for that. Also try and time your run up there with the tides/wind - if the tide's going against the wind, it can be a real bitch, and stand up plenty. Enjoy!

Cuzza

We're headed for Burrum in a few months. never been boating off there. Its a bit of a hike over to Roonies. I'm in the hunt for a few spots in between too. The wife will be 8.5months pregnant then, so the least i can do is only travel 30-40km from the boat ramp! (just in case - you know!)