Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Maroon-Hospitality

Lake Maroon-Hospitality

Visited Lake Maroon yesterday with the intention of checking out the boat ramp access and the camping facilities and this is how the day unfolded.

When you drive along Boonah/Rathdowney Rd there is a sign that says to turn right here for some education centre and something else related to SEQ water or drive another 3km/s to Burnett Creek Rd turn off to the camp grounds and boat ramp access which is another 5km/s along Burnett Creek Rd when you arrive at the turn off.

We took the drive another 3km/s route then another 5km/s to see the boat ramp access and camp grounds and this is how we were greeted.

Upon arrival a vehicle drove up and my wife exited our vehicle to be told by the driver of the other vehicle, "What are you doing"? My wife replied "We are here to visit the Lake"

The driver of the other vehicle (Apparently the owner of the property) promptly replied, "This is Private Property" You need to drive back down the road to SEQ's other facility" Which we passed on the way to the Burnett Creek Rd turn off.

My wife then asked if she could use the toilet facility and the owner promptly replied 'NO'

I then exited my vehicle to ask the owner of the property "Is this the camp grounds"? of which he replied "It is" but also noted how this was "Private Property"

In my opinion, I found this kind of hospitality disgraceful and appalling considering we drove just over 2 hours to get there.

Anyone considering visiting Lake Maroon be very careful as you may be told numerous times that "This is Private Property"
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Re: Lake Maroon-Hospitality

makes you wonder WTF!!!!
    Jim

I tend to use the word "Hospitality" in a positive sense! I would describe this experience as downright rude, and people should know.......

This is exactly my objective! To let as many people know.
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Are we talking about the arsehole who runs/owns Camp Lakefire now? In the past, you could go a little further past Lakefire and get a canoe in at the creek feeding the dam. Now, this arse makes it hard for anyone trying to access the water without paying him a camp site fee. A little further back towards the Boonah road, there was a reserve the public could use to access the water. Now the person who owns the camping setup across the road, has leased the land from the council and charges people to use that access to the water. Basically, that side of the dam is now a little nest of scumbags making it hard for anyone who wants to get to the water from the east. No hope of any "Hospitality" that side of the dam anymore.

Chaz

did ya tell him to shove his head where the sun don't shine???

Thanks for the heads up Chaz! As I reside in the northern suburbs I thought it would of been nice to see Lake Maroon & the camp grounds in it's entirety rather than staring at it on a website. But the a-hole who greeted us on the day soon put a damper on our visit. Thanks again for the info.
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

I live just down the road from maroon and if you are visiting I suggest what you have probably already learned is to not even bother visiting the burnett road side unless you want to pay through the nose . How ever on the other side they have really good facilities for day trippers (no camping) the boat ramp is excellent with a new solar light for night fishing clearly visible from most of the dam. If you drive around to the dam wall there is a large park with numerous picnic tables and bbqs including a stainless steel electric one as well as children play area and best of all it is completely free.

Hi Crusader79

Would this be the day trip place you mentioned in your reply? You can clearly see the solar powered light adjacent to the boat ramp.
    The A-HOLE that lives on the property down Burnett Creek Rd has no F'n idea on how to run a business, especially one that involves recreational camping and boating activities.I clearly hope his business (if you can call it that) goes broke.

100_2152.jpg
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

From memory there are 3 different camp grounds along this road . Which one did you go to?
    I have been to camp lakefire and can only highly recommend them. I have not been to other 2.
    Cheers
    Ray

I have been speaking to a couple of mates and I think that the place that you visited would have been Lake Maroon Holiday park who are not known for their hospitality.
    I cannot speak highly enough of Camp Lakefire who are recently under new management.
    Here is a link to their website.
    www.camplakefire.com.au
    Cheers
    Ray
    Last edited by rayken1938; 19-06-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling

How recent is the new management? And $30 a night for two in an unpowered tent site is waaaay too much! e.g. Camp Lakefre sux.

Chaz

Rayken! It was definitely Lake Maroon we visited and I think camp lakefire is a part of Lake Maroon as it appears to be situated on the same plot of land. Either way, I will never be visiting this place ever again and will endeavor to ensure no one else does either or even remotely consider or recommend this place I now call Toilet Hospitality.
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Twindragons sorry my spelling mistake I meant Lake Maroon Holiday park not Lake Baroon.I have edited my post.
    Chaz when I was at Lakefire you had to drive through the campgrounds and about 500m down the hill to get to the launch area which is directly into the lake not into the creek.
    Around $30 is the norm for non powered sites nowdays . Some places cheaper and some more. Go up north and try $40 to $50.
    Cheers
    Ray

Right now me thinking a name change for his business is in order......LAKE BABOON!
    LITTLE SKIPPER!