Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Maroon-Hospitality

Re: Lake Maroon-Hospitality

Yes i took the family camping there a couple of years ago and unfortunately stayed at Lake Maroon Camping Ground (loosely termed lol), everything there was crappy including the lack of service. the camp ground the whole darn lot, i definitely would strong recommend anyone contemplating a visit to bypass this horrible place.
    This is the campround on the left on the main road in, camp rimfire is on the right and has direct access to Lake Maroon.

I agree you treated rudely without question, but perhaps it would be a good idea to find out where you were and who spoke to you before you can the whole region as unhospitable. There are 3 camp sites on that side of the dam, that means 2 of them havn't done a thing wrong to you. I stay at Pointro for $10 a night and launch just below the house.
    There's also very good public day facilities inc toilets, boat ramp, shelters ect on the eastern side of the dam. You would've driven straight past the sign to Maroon Dam and the sign for the public toilets a few km before you got to Burnett Creek Rd.
    Cheers
    Mike D

Hi Mike
    I know which public day facility your talking about because we did in fact stop to read the sign on the way to Burnett Creek Rd, we decided to follow on another 3km to the Burnett Creek Rd turnoff. Once at the Burnett Creek Rd turnoff it was another 5km to the shed/office as the sign says and this is where we were un-greeted. After our un-hospitable hospitality we drove back to the T Intersection and turned left back onto Boonah/Rathdowney Rd and drove the 3km to the day facility which has toilet facilities you mentioned and viewed the Dam from the top of the boat ramp. View attached pics of Day facility.

100_2157.jpg100_2156.jpg100_2152.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I agree you treated rudely without question, but perhaps it would be a good idea to find out where you were and who spoke to you before you can the whole region as unhospitable. There are 3 camp sites on that side of the dam, that means 2 of them havn't done a thing wrong to you. I stay at Pointro for $10 a night and launch just below the house.
    There's also very good public day facilities inc toilets, boat ramp, shelters ect on the eastern side of the dam. You would've driven straight past the sign to Maroon Dam and the sign for the public toilets a few km before you got to Burnett Creek Rd.
    Cheers
    Mike D
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

@LittleSkipper I wish I saw your post earlier. We got back from Lake Maroom Holiday Park yesterday. The guy who runs the place is an absolute ######. He is arrogant and is also very aggressive. I specifically registered at this forum to share our experience and to make sure that noone else gets the same treatment.

We called this place to make sure that it would be ok for a group of 20 people to go camping there. They said that there is plenty of space and all should be fine. So went there on Sat 24/09/11 to stay overnight with a group of friends. We were at a fair distance from everyone and made sure that noone was bothered. In the morning we went to the showers where LMHP caretaker told us that we were not welcome there and needed to F*** off immediately or he would charge our credit card $150 as a fine. When we said to him that we needed some time to pack up he told us that we had to leave now as the place was Private Property and he would call the police if we did not do so. We went back and started packing up, it took us around an hour to get everything in the cars and to make sure that there was no rubbish left. When we went back to the caretaker to give him back the keys he started violently pushing the our mate with the keys and told him that we are in guaranteed trouble. He had him pushed against the car and said that if we were to come back he would bash us up. He also told us that he was a former police officer and did not give a sh*t about how he behaved. Not to mention racist remarks that he made towards some of the guys from our group with ethnic background.

It looked like the caretaker had some personal hatred towards our mate. So we drove off not wanting any trouble, buy in 15 minutes were pulled over by 2 police cars for breath check and our mate (same guy who was assaulted) was taken to police station at Boonah. We spent 3 hours there waiting for him. The police officer did not show the readings of the breathalyser but on the report wrote 0.108% of alcohol and his license was suspended immediately. The police officer refused to do a blood sample stating that he had enough evidence of alcohol in blood.

If you were to finish drinking at midnight and have a beer 12 hours later (after a good sleep) and then in another 3 hours start driving, there is no way your blood alcohol would be that high. He is now waiting for a court case and is pressing charges for an assault against the caretaker.

Was this a coincidence? I don't think so. At first the police officer (Wayne) denied the fact that the caretaker (Jeff Wall) was his mate but then said that he worked with him in the past. We are now seeking legal advise against Jeff Wall for assault. There will also be questioning of Boonah police conduct with regards to this matter.

Now that we found this post and couple of others we can clearly see that there is no hospitality at Lake Maroom Holiday Park. I feel particularly sorry for people who have to work with Jeff Wall and witness this.

AVOID THIS PLACE. We wish that noone gets treated like that. Besides all facilities are located inconveniently and there was no boat ramp as such. In terms of fishing all we caught, there were small golden perch (about 13cm) and we saw 3 other people catching couple of same ones. There is too much vegetation in the water so you pull out a kilo of weeds every time.

To conclude this clearly the place is operated by a complete jerk. There are couple of other camping spots around the area and if you can go there instead. What is most upsetting is that Jeff obviously thinks that he is God there and can do anything he likes and gets away with it being mates with police.

So much for an overnight camping/fishing trip...

Well! What can I say? Absolutely disgusted to think someone of his calibre thinks he is bullet proof? Perhaps we should band together and petition to have the Lake Maroon Hoilday Park website shutdown. I'm thinking the website is a clear scam to attract un-suspecting travellers. The bizarre thing is that the crew of The Great South East have been doing stories on this place and praising how good it is....Very Strange Indeed!
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Alexeiaus,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience at lake Maroon Holiday Camp, obviously it hasnt changed but got worse since i was last there. Yes i recall the owner was an ex Policeman and his name was Jeff so i had the right place. Wish we could warn more people about this place so they dont waste their money and time visiting this crap hole.

I would have thought that the days of the cops being in the back pocket of a bloke like that were gone.
    I suggest you contact channel 9 or 7 current affair and have a chat, they may have more push on this bloke.

cheers

Is this the guy that was the A hole to you little skipper?

He looks famiiar but I can't be 100% sure, we were in & out within a space of only a few minutes as I was so angry that all I wanted to do was get the $#@! out of that place, never to return. What a complete #######!

Cheers
    Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Is this the guy that was the A hole to you little skipper?
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Knobs like that can destroy a fantastic weekend away with friends and family. I for one have crossed that place off my list of places to go and I hope others do the same. Making a bit of noise is fine out camping, Its all about relaxing and kicking back and having a good laugh, as long as your not disturbing others then go for it.

As for the drink driving charge, that has to suck big time....

Cheers
    Brett

The list of rules on that website reads like war and peace.

Toddy

The guy in the pic thats him alright!

I've been making a list of places to take my family camping and fishing and this was near the top. It has now been taken of the list ! thanks for the heads up.
    Cheers, TT

I have geared up for our firts family camping trip to stradie over xmas then the second planed for lake Maroon, look like the plan has changed for us and our extended family and friends. Thanks for the heads up everyone as A...ole like this will surely ruin our holiday and prbably camping all together.

Can i ask if anyone have good report on the other 2 places mentioned? Maybe we should ensure camper go there instead if they are good. Would be a waste of such nice location just because of a certain....

Cheers

Stopped at Camp Likefire twice this year great place and great staff.Especially if Mick happens to be on he will put onto the bass and redclaw.
    Cheers
    Ray