View Poll Results: What date is most suitabel (multiple choice)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • July 9-10th

2 18.18%
  • July 16th-17th

2 18.18%
  • July 23-24th

4 36.36%
  • July 30-31st

1 9.09%
  • August 6th-7th

1 9.09%
  • August 13th-14th

2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weaving Weekend:--- Who would like to learn how?

Weaving Weekend:--- Who would like to learn how?

Due to the apparent interest from a number of members, I have decided to host a weaving weekend
    Unlike the previous rod building weekends which been graciously hosted by Greg & Sue under the tutelage of Stu, this one will be focused ONLY on weaving.
    The two subjects are too far removed to try to do both at the same time. We have a large undercover area out back of our house where we can set up a few tables and have at it.
    Due to the limited time, it is probably not feasible to develop a design from scratch and weave it in one weekend.
    I will have a large range of weave patterns available (done by myself or Doc Ski) from simple to advanced which I can print for you.
    You won't need any software I also have a fairly extensive thread collections, so I can help out if you don't have the right colours for your chosen design.
    The subjects will include:
    1: Tools of the trade
    2: Choosing a design
    3: Developing a Left List / Pattern
    4: Setting up a weave
    5: Keeping it straight & tight
    6: Packing and tightening
    What you will need:

1: A blank, or cylindrical rod of some sort to weave on. If dowel is used, paint or epoxy it first so that the thread does not grip on it.
    2: A roll of C size thread in your chosen background colour. NOTE: I cannot supply this one as you will need to take it away with you!
    3: Any other threads you may wish to bring - note the thread used in the design should be a smaller size than your wrap thread. Size A or Madeira #40. Only 100% polyester or nylon threads should be used. Do not use rayon! I can help with this if need be as the length of thread used is not great.
    4: Some wheels, vee blocks or some other support to hold your rod while you weave. NOTE: You don't need a lathe! In fact it's probably better not to use one for this weekend so you take up less space. Whatever you use though, make sure that you have some sort of brake i.e. a rubber band or similar to hold the rod in any given position while you work. It cannot free spool!
    5: I highly recommend you use a magnifying head band.
    6: A small crochet hook
    7: Some packing tools.
    8: Sharp scissors - the tip that spring open are best.
    9: A ruler, pen, not pad etc and a clipboard. Graph paper if you want to learn old school.
    10: Masking tape, small zip ties (100mm & 150mm), thread tape.
    11: A weave jig if you have one - NOTE: I will have a number of Doc Ski jigs available for purchase if required. It IS possible to do a weave with just tape, but I'd rather stick needles in my eyes and watch home and away!
    12: A tensioning device. I recommend an ashtray or similar to sit the thread spool in and an old text boox for you tensioner. Simple and portable!
    13: A sense of humour Most of this stuff you will already have and don't panic if you don't. You'll get by.

Now contrary to popular belief, you don't not need unlimited reserves of patience to do weaving, nor is it rocket science. You just have to be careful, methodical and above all LOOK at what's going on. There are no short cuts. That's the only thing to remember. So if you have always wanted to have a go, this is your chance. We'll put on a BBQ for lunch. If any of you can't eat meat on religious grounds.. stiff shit, you're going to hell. BYO grog and nibblies.

I have put the proposed dates on a poll so we can try to get the most available people, but in the end, the date will be at my discretion. There will be a small fee to cover food and any tools etc you purchase, but outside that there is no charge. All are welcome but numbers will be limited to 15, so first in best dressed. Please do not commit until the date has been set and once that is set don't commit unless you're pretty sure you can make it.

Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Re: Weaving Weekend:--- Who would like to learn how?

Dunno why I can't format this or add images??? OK, got it readable using HTML. Go figure HTML is set to off???
    Cheers,
    Owen

I'm in (with bloody bells on) pending dates and cyclones and earth quakes and locus plagues and the rising sea levels.
    Accommodation is available at our place too....You might even get to our place if you trip and start rolling down the hill at Owen and Sandy's house......and I won't even make you change the gutters or paint the fascia before the schooling.

Don't forget it's windy in August..That might make things a wee bit unpleasant.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I would love to go. But i cant swing time off yet.
    Have fun poeple

Put me down for it Owen.
    Graham

Good stuff Owen
    Would love to attend and learn some tips
    Adrian

Owen, I'm really keen to learn more of this but commiting to a date at the moment is proving very difficult. At best I would be a last minute fill in.
    Adam

Owen, Would it be feasible to attend if I have not had much rod building experience ?. I would love to see how its done.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post
    Owen, Would it be feasible to attend if I have not had much rod building experience ?. I would love to see how its done.

Scott
    Well my name isn't Owen but I'll answer.
    YES!!! As the knowledge base will be fairly extensive for any questions you may have
    And accommodation is available at our Brisbane residence (but seeing it's you, you'll have the paint the eaves before tea time)...anybody else is welcomed to watch Scotty as well.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

You're welcome to come along, but the focus will be on weaving only, so you won't get much practical help on general rod building
    Got plenty of parts you can check out though, so if you decide to take it up you'll have some idea
    Cheers,
    Owen

If any out-of-towners want to come along, we should be able to arrange a bed or two here as well.
    Cheers,
    Owen

OK,
    Those of you that intend to come along, can you begin to give some consideration as to what you would like to weave?
    That way I can have the left lists printed out before hand.
    We can accomodate most styles, but due to time restrictions we will not be able to develop new weave patterns.
    A few ideas attached.

Most people start out with a single colour silhouette style pattern.
    It saves worrying about colour changes. But there in nothing to say that your first weave can't be a multi-layer weave.
    The principles are the same, so if you want to do a 2 or 3 layer weave, it's not going to hurt to try.
    Better to do so when there's someone around to help!
    Weave's like Doc's yellowfin are a good idea. It has lots of colour, but only one colour change.
    Look crefully and you'll see the threads change colour from top to bottom, but not many colours change from left to right.
    I'll post a couple more example soon.

PM me if you are after anything in particular and I'll look through the library.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Owen

A few more ideas.
    Remember, the choice of colours on any of these is up to you!
    If you like a pattern, but not the colours, it's a simple matter to change them.

Remember, there's nothing stopping you putting a weave on an already completed rod.
    So if you have an old two piece ugly stick that needs tarting up, it's probably perfect for this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Owen

Owen you have already posted what i like The skeletal Dorado and fang fish.
    Graham

I'm in, I didn't vote for a weekend because I will fit in with the most convenient date that suit everyone else. Unless something drastic happens.

Finga can I choose the colour (colours) for the eaves ???

Scott