Thread: brisbane area

Talking brisbane area

hi a newbie who is meeting his son at amity on north straddie last week of june for hopefully good fishing in his just purchased 5.2 m c console stessl. never fished, been there before so be most grateful for what species are going, areas to focus on and any views on going though the south passage to fish the other side in the coral sea. for example can you wait and follow boats through this passage on a good day?

look forward to your comments.
    cheers and best regards

robbo

Re: brisbane area

Robbo, by the sounds of your post you do not have much experience in boats. If that is the case, I strongly suggest you have on board someone who does have reasonable open water and bar crossing experience before you try the bar. This bar like most others can be a breeze or a bastard depending on tides and winds. Simply following a guy out thinking that will be safe is a fallacy that often sees something go wrong.
    This time of the year snapper and pearl perch are the easy targets and quite easy to locate.
    You should be aware of the green zones before you go out too.
    Jack.

thanks tunaticer for your comments, no we are not new to boats but the area, i have had a boat for over 20 years and my son who is 24 has driven this many a time.he has just been transferred to brissy and i am meeting him on straddie to have a week of fishing so i have been googling a bit and the fishing outside of the south passage seems good.Can you get snapper inside?, and are whiting still on the go.

be most grateful. cheersrob

Glad to hear you are not a novice boater Rob.

Bay snapper are fairly easy around Mud island and a few of the of the lower islands like peel and green.

There are two artificial reefs (harries and curtin) that produce the goods towards the slack at the end of the run.

Keep an eye open for Rosco's reports in the bay, he regularly posts his captures once or twice a week and often reference whiting.
    Jack.

thanks again, yeh i just spoke to my son who picked up a few whiting yesterday and a couple of big skates close to moreton island.