102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Usually do scale the fish

28 27.45%
  • Usually do not scale

74 72.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who still scales a snapper?

Re: Who still scales a snapper?

Small ones I freeze whole with scales on and scale before cooking. Larger fish are filleted and skinned.

I never scale anything except whiting, even when i cook on bbq i leave scales on wrap in ally foil and then peel skin and scales off

Been awhile since I boated a big snapper....but.....fillet, skin and de-bone is my preferred method. Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

easiest way to scale any fish is with the garden hose with good pressure , spray from the tail up towards the head and watch them fly off . good for doing 30 odd whiting as it takes 5 mins to scale them all

Always fillet and skin for me, so much easier though I used to love the taste of the crispy skin on a fried fillet. I think I've read somewhere the skin is where most of the healthy oils are located as well. Might leave the skin on the next snap I catch for old times sake.
    Cheers

Thumbs up Re: Who still scales a snapper?

Skin on , "big"-bones in , most scales off ......YUMM

I never scale them. Just cook them whole on the BBQ. The scales act to keep the flavor in but really I'm just lazy. Gut and gill and thats it.

thats a good way to cook fish on a fire as well, scales on - goes all black etc, but scrapes off to reveal moist cooked fish