Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal Fishing Mt Crosby Weir

Illegal Fishing Mt Crosby Weir

I have just had an email from a friend who is with SEQW stating that there has been a large amount of illegal fishing happening below Mt Crosby Weir. Fisheries are now involved and are being provided with photographic evidence of the culprits and visiting on a regular basis or when people are reported.

So if you or anyone you know has been involved in this illegal activty I would advise you to reconsider because you will be caught.

It has been recorded (photographed) that people were filling eskies with fish and fisheries will be taking severe fishing action against these people.

I am a long standing member of Brisbane Valley Anglers and we are only a very small group and we work very hard for funding fish stocking of the Brisbane River below Wivenhoe and it is extremely disappointing to see this mass slaughter of the most popular freshwater sporting fish in NSW & Qld.

As an aside if there are people out there who are interested in joining a stocking group/fishing club we meet on the first Wednesday of each month at the Mt Omaney Library from 7.30 pm. We can always use new members.
    As well as our stocking involvement we have a monthly trips and instructional nights on a regular basis mainly based around freshwater fishing.

If you would like to know more send me a PM.

Bad_Bazza

Bad_

Re: Illegal Fishing Mt Crosby Weir

we have the same prob up here in hervey bay at the base of lenthalls bazza ,some people think it there right to break the law ,when they were caught by the ranger all they could do was give him a mouth full for stopping them ,they have no idea.they diserve to get the book thrown at them but we all know just a slap on the hand is the usual outcome ,courts are turning very weak with there sentencing and fines.

8 fines handed out there as of a fortnight ago.

Plus
    Why do we have closed seasons?

Closed seasons prevent people from fishing at certain times of the year to protect species at vulnerable times in their life cycle, such as during spawning seasons.
    Australian bass

A closed season applies to Australian bass throughout Queensland from 1 June to 31 August except in and from waterways upstream of Baroon Pocket, Bjelke-Petersen, Boondooma, Borumba, Cania, Cressbrook, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran), Gordonbrook, Hinze, Lenthalls, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset, Wuruma and Wivenhoe dams; Claude Wharton and Jones weirs; Isis Balancing Storage (Lake Gregory) and Clarendon, Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam) and MacDonald lakes
    Cheers
    Ray

About time Fisheries did something about it. Used to get so sick of all the bogan's coming in to work telling me how they are bass fishing heroes and that they really enjoyed there 5 "70cm" bass for dinner. Been going on for years, but insanely bad since the first decent rain we had a couple of years ago when the weir went over. They need to learn how to follow the law, that they are not the next Carl Jocumsen and are simply raping starving schooled up bass, and lastly how to use a f*****g Ruler.

Another problem we (BVA) have been trying to get resolved for years is a fish ladder that works.
    Most of that time this has been with the BCC and now SEQW.
    This would greatly help this situation as the fish could move up and down at their leasure.
    Hopefully they would not be stuck at the bottom of the weir and therefore get hammered unmercifully.
    Thanks everyone for your interest and support.

Bad_Bazza

I drove over the weir one afternoon last week and saw fisheries there. It's about time they started handing out fines as it has gotten rare not to see people fishing down there.

have heard they fined people at the top of the pine river too, next night they fined exactly the same people
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Where abouts are they fishing as I cross this section most days and am a local to the area?

I assume they are taking bass?

Are they being fined for taking the fish or fishing in a restricted area or both?

Baz any chance you can pm me some more details. Might be interested in joining.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,
    They are fishing directly below the fish ladder and yes they are taking bass.
    The fines would be for fishing in a restricted zone. As of the 1st June it would be illegal to take bass from the river so both may apply from then.
    Some people (I am told) have been fined one day and turned up again the next day to fish again.
    Another incident which shows the arrogance of these people is that either Fisheries or SEQW were replacing the NO FISHING sign and two guys walk past with rods in hand!!
    Duuuh!
    That's the problem with today's society punishment no longer fits the crime so people blatantly ignore the law because they know that punishment is minimal.
    I would be prepared to bet that most of the fines handed out will never be recovered.
    You just have to look at the Queensland Govt's record on fine recovery to realise that!
    PM to follow

Bad_Bazza

Mate that is bad news. I was curious as I am a local to the area in question.

I also got your PM and although I am a bit busy at present I must say I am quite keen to come along for a visit.

Cheers

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Bazza View Post
    Hi Lee,

Another incident which shows the arrogance of these people is that either Fisheries or SEQW were replacing the NO FISHING sign and two guys walk past with rods in hand!!
    Duuuh!

Bad_Bazza
    I also walked passed the "No Fishing" sign just yesterday. I also had a rod in my hand. I was walking to an area that is past the no fishing zone.

Bass might be in a closed season but there are other fish in there which are legal to catch.

Things aren't always as they seem at first glance...

Phil

SEQW are mostly ignorant and would follow this up instead of flood mitigation.. ooops

In a recent local Ipswich paper it headlined the fines handed out to people for illegally fishing at Mt Crosby. A few pages later it had a photo of a person with a 53 cms bass taken out of season from roughly the same place.

Beats me.

Phil

Hi guys, When ive driven past the weir for cricket games and I've seen ppl on both sides of the river fishing. It looks like a giant mess along the river bank. Is there any path thats lead 400m or road down the river that can be acessed by foot???