Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Travelling in the dark

Re: Travelling in the dark

Does anyone use silver SOLAS tape on their boats as a reflector?

Now that's a great idea blusta!

I carry a beach towel or wet weather gear to throw over the dash instruments when running at night.
    There is absolutely no way I would ever run with spotlights on unless I was searching for a man overboard or in a very tight unmarked waterway.

Has everybody happily running at night filled in their Darwin award application?

It doesnt help much when seeing whats in front, but it helps a great deal in side the cab, seeing whats going on and reading the screens.
    I changed the fluros under the canopy to red, and they light up the cabin real well, without throwing any glare onto the dash, there also great when fishing in the dark as they throw no bright light onto the water, especially when fishing the bay shallows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Has everybody happily running at night filled in their Darwin award application?
    It is an exercise in risk management, and happy to admit that I could and should have been better prepared. That said, I now have a checklist that I will use before heading out next time. I also have a couple of minor mods to make, have acquired covers for the radios and know how to switch the lights off, and will shroud the compass light to avoid reflection off the windscreen, and make a red plastic filter for the GPS.

The same criteria apply as travelling in the daylight, with extra considerations. Coming to terms with unfamiliar conditions was the stressful part, once I settled into what I was doing it was fine, with much concentration on the job at hand.

Take the right precautions and prepare correctly and the risk levels become acceptable. And treat every thing you do as a learning experience, taking a conservative approach so as to not push the boundaries too far at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    If you don't go on the ocean at night you don't know what you're missing.

I installed a blackout switch, takes all lights out when required and run on night vision and radar. Best way I have found crossing bars, especially white water bars. You may not See me but I am watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Absolutely!! Can get a bit spooky out there by yourself sometimes though!

Mick

So hakuna, excuse my ignorance but does the radar help you cross breaking bars? Does it show up on-coming waves, by which I mean ones that are approaching the surf zone and have yet to break, or are you relying solely on night vision, star and or moonlight?
    Cheers.

I'm another of the dark runners. I have legal navigation lights and dimmed electronics running. A hand held spotty is ready for use but is seldom turned on. I have come across many boats blazing away with spotties and to me they are a hazard as they destroy my night vision for fair while. With a little moon I can see wave formations quite clearly and navigation lights show up well even when they are quite faint. I run a CC with great visability and feel pretty confident at night
    I only travel in areas I know well and keep the speed down to something I am comfortable with
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Absolutely!

There ain't nuthin' like going fishing at night! It is a totally sensuous experience - enriched smells, sounds, temperature, breezes, stunning skyscape.... and bigger fish!

Of course, if you are the sort of bloke who was terrified by his first sexual experience because it was all dark and you were on your own, well I can understand your being scared of night fishing and boating.

Quote Originally Posted by seren-y-mor View Post
    so angla, listen to what noelm is saying because considering your meant to be able to stop your vessel in half the distance you can see in restricted vis, how are you going to pull up if you have your spotlights showing 5-10 metres in front of you? I work nights driving a 24 metre fast cat ferry and we get to see a lot of incorrect light configarations but spotlights facing forwards unless used for work or berthing or are compleatly useless, stick to the rules like everyone else so we know what you are doing and where you are heading, and insted of using an all round light try using a mast head light and a stern light with your red and green. and keep the all round for anchoring.
    Thanks Jason
    Is there a rule that says I cannot run a search light for travelling at night?
    Do you operate your fast cat ferry across the bay in areas where fisho's lay crab pots?
    Have you tried coming back in 25 knotts and pitch black conditions around Combuyoro at night?

I think your eyes will adjust once I have gone past safely and considerately.

Has a 24 metre Fast Cat Ferry ever hit another vessel? I haven't, day or night!

Cheers
    Chris

Hi all,
    Topic has proven to be a hot one, probably because it is hard to apply one rule to all situations.
    Night time should not be confused with restricted visibility, restricted visibility is caused by conditions such as heavy sea/spray, smoke, rain, fog, haze etc. and will happen day or night. On average, most nights you can have at least 10mile visibility of lights (depending on their strength height etc)

Here it is the as far as the rules go; that any other lights used onboard should not interfere with the visibility of your vessels navigation lights.

Collision Regulations

Part C - Lights & Shapes
    Rule 20 Application
    a) Rules in this application shall be complied with in all weathers
    b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken from the lights specified in these rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout.

Now this doesn't mean you can't use a searchlight for identifying an unlit boat or channel markers, crabpots etc..
    But for a vessel less than 12m your mast head light must be visible for 2 miles, side lights 1 mile and stern light 2 miles.
    A good spottie would probably be visible for 5 miles and therefore hide your nav lights - if facing directly ahead and used constantly.

Hope that helps.

Rules are fine but maybe some commonsense is just as important.

A silly thing about the rule above is that accidents at night are caused by people NOT seeing the other guy whether they're at rest or moving...and not havinjg any warning re seeing an object right in front of you. Fix those two things become SAFE. Compared to our cars we have the tiniest dumbest little lights and expected to see with them, interpret them, then allow for them. Whinging about someones night vision is the dumbest thing i;ve heard and an excuse nobody talks about in their car...its accepted that u are driving straight into headlights constantly. On the road its far more dangerous coz you;re passing nearby at greater speed but people want to whine that they hate seeing a spottie on the water ? Spare me..take a drive on a dirt country road one night and turn ya headlights off...that should help your night vision hugely

BEST light is the one you can see for miles...if i see a spottie i'm happy and if it shines on me i also know that i've been seen by the other guy, rather than pretending its somehow horrible for my "night vision".

I think some of the plus and minus stuff tho comes from different areas or if its built up enclosed water or not. Big difference getting along the week of a new moon on a cloudy night in Cowan Creek to getting along past waterfronts in a harbour on a full moon. Not saying they should be on all the time but if i'm supposed to be responsible for people on board i'd rather be safe and use them intermittently, than second guess the water in front of me and trust the other guy isnt a flog. Pitch black i can even run the spottie onto the shore out in front and keep a set distance. Other nights it doesnt get used at all. Just saying i'd rather not pretend my "night vision" is more important than actually CLEARLY seeing what is just ahead on the water and having warning. If there's any sort of mist though or moon they're no help at all.

Agree with others about being out at night. Just magic time on the water and u kind get hooked on it. Spooky but fun.