Thread: Line spoolers

Line spoolers

Anyone tried the Pelagic Extreme line spooler that is avialable on fleabay? Looks as though it might work OK - my main concern is the use of the rubber spheres to apply line tension.

Any other suggestions for good line spoolers? Need one for both spinning and baitcaster reels.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Re: Line spoolers

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Anyone tried the Pelagic Extreme line spooler that is avialable on fleabay? Looks as though it might work OK - my main concern is the use of the rubber spheres to apply line tension.

Any other suggestions for good line spoolers? Need one for both spinning and baitcaster reels.
    My mates got one and we tried to spool 30lb braid on to a spinning reel using it.
    Did not work very well so we used the usual piece of dowel through the spool and applied tension with fingers. The old fashoned method worked a treat.

Cheers
    Barry

i use a piece of threaded rod in this order nut,big flat washer,spring,bigflat washer,spool of line,big flat washer,nut, then all u do is adjust the nut closest to the spring till u have the desired tension on the spool simple, works for me then u just get ur misses to hold the threaded rod

Gday,
    I need to build a new machine also.

My last one was threaded rod, washers and teflon board, but the drag was too inconsistant.

I need to be able to spool them at up to 8kg of drag for the 80lb braid to go on properly. Where can I buy a large, smooth drag washer to achieve this, and what do folks reckon is the best design?

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

Hi Myles,
    A couple of people I know in the US say these are the best.
    http://www.propowerwinder.com/Catego...e-winders.aspx
    Not cheap but I guess you get what you pay for. Plus the A$ is good.

BTW, do you have a dedicated oil tank in the engine room??
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post
    Hi Myles,
    A couple of people I know in the US say these are the best.
    http://www.propowerwinder.com/Catego...e-winders.aspx
    Not cheap but I guess you get what you pay for. Plus the A$ is good.
    That certainly looks like the bee's knees.....

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post

BTW, do you have a dedicated oil tank in the engine room??
    Hahaha I will take that from you Pete, cos you saved my @rse the one time at sea I have really needed it. I think of that day, and what you did for me, often.

But yes, the new boat is being fitting with an oil tank and pump for oil changes at the wharf primarily

That line spooler does look the business! But a bit more than the 20 bucks I was planning to spend on my "upgraded" system.

Cheers mate,
    Myles

i have a bench vice that i put a screwdriver in and set to a tention that suits. works a treat

get a Tension Mate. Locally made and bulletproof. I have the old model and it is the absolute best thing. All alloy /stainless construction. Fishhead has some in stock.

Davo,
    How much tension do you reckon you can get on it? I need heaps to spool the heavy tackle reels.

Cheers,
    Myles

I spool from 1Kg to 24Kg. Fishhead actually uses one himself and loves it.

I have met the bloke who makes the tension mate.....he runs a local process controll company.

He seems to be a fishing nutter, and recons his tension mate thing can put on quite a bit of tension, and the tension is quite consistent.

Don't know..havnit tried one......I use a wet tissue.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

I use a Berkley one that I brought from Bass Pro - under $30US. Works a treat. Comes with a line stripper that doesn't work at all but the spooling station itself works great. Lays line nice a tight, but only works on spinning reels and baitcasters. Even big 6000 size + spinning reels might not fit.

Link to it here.

I did break one of the spring things that puts pressure on the line spool. Contacted Berkley and they sent me 6 new ones no questions asked. Brilliant service.