Thread: DFS Hooks and others?

DFS Hooks and others?

I bought some DFS hooks on ebay today - anyone had any experience with them?

I got some 6/0 suicide for snapper and pearlies and other reef fishies.

I am after a cheaper good hook - not rollsroyce price.

I have been buying mustard till now but last lot I got Thursday at tackle store were 5-7 dollars for 5 hooks a packet - a few packets evaporate in no time fishing offshore wrecks and reef.

I have done a few trips out lately with friends and relos and use two hook rigs - now last trip looking after the boys I went through about 40 hooks in about 5 hours fishing and trip before the same, so I am looking for a more economical solution rather than $40 worth of hooks each trip.

Yes I find myself supplying (and paying for) tackle, tying knots etc - now no complaints just want it to hurt the wallet less.

Is there a good place to get quality US hooks at a good price. I looked at Charkbait and they don't have hooks listed. Similarly dealsonreels is not hooks either.

Anyway will try this DFS hook and see if any good.

Similarly I got 100m of 50lb fluro-carbon leader Kieru for $15 instead of $20 for 10m from BCF of other japanese brand and see how we go with this too. I go through a roll of this stuff a trip too and it all adds up.

Anyone have a gem for supply of hooks, swivels, leader at reasonalbe prices - I would like to know.
    Cheers

Trev

Re: DFS Hooks and others?

Can't you pick up decent mustad hooks at BIG W pretty cheap or are they just as dear as the tackle stores ??

I hope the hooks you got are decent and don't straighten out if you lock onto a good fish.

cheers tim

I bought 100 DFS size 5.0 Circle hooks. Got to me quickly and they look ok. used 1 hook all night caught some fair size fingermark a heap of Batfish and a 80cm odd Trevally with locked up drag on it without it bending so for now they dont look bad for the price.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

We have been using these Greenwave hooks for a few years. Smaller ones on reds and larger ones on Jew and kings. Sizes are a bit smaller than usual but they are strong and cheap. If you use a fair few different sizes then the 5 pack of 125 hooks is great value.
    http://wholesalefishingsupplies.boun...oks/4534709019

If you don't mind shopping OS, this guy is great to deal with and will combine postage on multiple items.
    I have bought gamakatsu and owner hooks from him and been delighted with the price and service.
    The eagle claw hooks are a cheaper option; the high Aus$ gives us a price advantage at the moment as well.
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/richardssportssupply

I bought a mixd box of 'Tackleworld' brand hooks from, yup, you guessed it 1/2 of them are whiting hooks and 1/2 are circle hooks of various sizes - they are the anodised red colour. After 2 good reef sessions with the circles I am very impressed - not even looking like straitening under load. Used only 2 hooks all night - and the second was only due to a snag.

Came in a box of 200 for around $10 so i consider them excellent value. I'll be buying more, that's for sure.