Thread: Warwick

Warwick

Hi All,

New to 'western fishing' threw a spinnerbait at the snags along the Condamine at Warwick for zippo. Thinking of bringing the canoe and electric back, which way should I head in in search of Cod?

Cheers Brad.

Re: Warwick

Its a weir holding the water at Warwick, so you will comfortably do it all on canoe with an electric.

Brad I don't know Warwick but this time of year is going to a bit harder to entice a cod, if you gave them a hit in spring you will up your chances.

Scott

Yep, starting to get cold for cod or any fish around here.
    There are a couple of sections of water where you can use the canoe etc. One is under the bridge as you come into town from Brisbane (there's a ramp and stuff in the park) and towards the old butter factory. There's a weir in the middle as mentioned by Feral.
    Be careful in the butter factory section as the water about 200m after you cross Wallace Street is private property. This section of river is an un-named watercourse and the watercourse itself is supposed to be towards the racecourse.
    There are some cod-holes further along the river as well around Lyndhurst lane and other roads that cross the creek.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks guys,
    I'd have thought it getting too cold also but have a self crowned expert a work saying the opposite. Think I'll put more wieght in what your saying though.
    Cheers Brad

i was down south last winter and was geting smashed by cod as the line was freezing to the gides if they are there you can get fish just remember gloves
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by 1bassman View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I'd have thought it getting too cold also but have a self crowned expert a work saying the opposite. Think I'll put more wieght in what your saying though.
    Cheers Brad
    cod after the first frost have been the best for me

Quote Originally Posted by ssab1 View Post
    cod after the first frost have been the best for me
    That was about 4 frosts ago

I use the shrimp gauge. If shrimps are still around so are the fish.
    Seems to work OK and I have to put the traps in tomorrow so we'll see eh
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

We used to count on the first frost or cold snap in April to bring on the cod.

Also the first warm weather in September brought them on again.

Further down the Condamine from Warra down to St,George was our fishing area.

Have never yet put a line in above Lemontree Weir.

Things have changed a lot in recent years. In the past you had big trouble getting
    shrimps in the river or bobbies or even crayfish.

A live bony bream from the house dam was a sure bet in the right water for a big cod.

I think the numbers of native fish in those days kept the bait quantities down and we had to get our bait in the smaller creeks or lagoons away from the bigger water.

We also used big fat blood worms from the river banks and they were deadly on cod and yellowbelly.

Also with the build up of carp numbers the old yellowbelly and cod love them for an easy feed.

Maybe that is why the shrimps are more readily available. Just a thought.

Good fishing.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Bait fishing could well be more productive for cod in winter, especially if a set line is left in over night.
    I know from my younger keen years of lure fishing in any weather condition, cod don't take lures anywhere nere as much in the colder months. In saying that, larger cod tend to be more apparent on lures in april-may, but the overall catch is allways down.
    Scott