Thread: New Reel Advice.

New Reel Advice.

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice in regards to reel selection, I am looking for two new reels.

One in the 2500 to 3000 size for soft plastics, I have a Shimano Symetre 3000 at the moment but want to use that one for freinds/wife etc when they come fishing.

The other reel I would like to use for flicking lures for small tuna, barra etc. I have a 4000 Symetre but that would be used for a boat spare as well.

I was thinking of getting a Stradic 3000 and a Stradic 5000 but am open to suggestions atm, I can't make up my mind.

Prices would need to be around the price of Stradics.

Cheers for the help.

Re: New Reel Advice.

hi wookie

if you can barter well, look at the Daiwa sol or Daiwa heartland range both available in thoses sizes, but a better reel.. much smoother drag and the heartland is as tough as nails.. I just was in the similar buying and ended up buyin g a daiwa luvias 2500 (next step up around the $350 mark) and a heartland 4000..if not look at a daiwa exceller da

I have been over the moon with my purchases
    "Live Life"

I use Sustains and Stradics but I like the look of the Daiwa Seagate 3500 for a med/heavy plastics reel.

Cheers Guys, I have always been a Shimano man but I keep hearing great things from the Daiwa's.

Thanks for your comments.

I have two Daiwa reels in the 2500 size a 2500r Luvias and a 2500 Sol and I,m very happy with both. I use both for flicking plastics and hard bodies and cannot fault either. The Sol got a good workout at last years Flattie Classic and performed admirably unlike the owner. The Luvias would get the nod for the most preferred and the smoothest. Just check some of the fishing classifieds as this is were I picked up mine, as there is some good buys at a lot less than normal retail.

That big Groper I got in in the videos section was caught on a seagate 3500. Has to be tough to do that. They are the next step up from the saltist reels.

I use daiwa, shimano, accurates, van staals.For a smooth drag it's between the van staal and shimano stella ,for looks and rugged feel daiwa. The new daiwa certate is getting close to the stella.I use what i feel is right on the rod im using for the purpose.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    That big Groper I got in in the videos section was caught on a seagate 3500. Has to be tough to do that. They are the next step up from the saltist reels.
    I can second that, bougfht a seagate light 3500 a month back after daintreeboys advice and for the money they are bloody awesome, nailed a few good kingies with it around the 10-12kg mark. using 20lb tuff line on mine
    "Live Life"

the daiwas feel a fair bit different to the stradic/symetre range so i would give one a spin before going down that path..its something i prefer as it gives more feel when fighting a fish..really comes down to preference though they are both great reels...man i want a heartland..you should get one of them..just someone else i can be jealous of!!!
    oh just for a spanner in the works the abu soron is a pretty awesome reel in that range aswell they are certainly feature packed and well talked about
    happy searching

Cheers guys, I am heading down to the store on Friday after work to have a look at a few of the reels mentioned.

I have a feeling my wallet will be lighter coming home :-)