Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going from 2-4kg to 1-3kg rods

Going from 2-4kg to 1-3kg rods

At the moment my most used rod is my 2-4kg luvias and a 2500 ci4 running 5lb power pro.

I mainly throw plastics around and have started getting into hard bodies recently and can't forget surface walkers like px45s etc. I am a big fan of light gear and was thinking of getting a 1-3kg rod for more fun factor points for throwing those light hard bodies around.

my luvias seems to cast some lures ok but other struggle sx40s,px45s etc... in my mind hook ups on the 1-3kg could be alot more fun also.

Do you think there would be much distance gain in going a lighter stick?

The only 1-3kg rod I have used is my mates trion matched with a 2500 symetre and I'm not a fan at all it feels to heavy and dosnt cast that great. But im putting that down to the reel being to big for the rod.

Re: Going from 2-4kg to 1-3kg rods

imo i think generally yes a little more distance throwing smaller lighter lures. Although the length and taper of a particular rod plays a big part too. i have a 2-4kg 7ft 7 with a slow taper and it casts very well although hookset can be a bit soft. I think catching trevs with a 1-3kg rod would be good fun so go for it.

I run a Symetre 1000 with 5lb powerpro on a berkley dropshot 2-4kg 6'10" rod and can easily cast a 1/16oz jighead with a 55mm wriggler a good 25m on average and 30m with the wind behind me.
    I used a mates 1-3kg berk dshot rod a few weeks ago with a 1000 stradic and 4lb fireline and found the casting was nearly identical but the rod was a tad "sloppy" for the want of a better word. I think i prefer the crispness of 2-4 over 1-3. Both rods handle the fish very easily its just the 1/3 gives a lot more rebound shakes compared to the 2-4.
    That being said tho......if i was to drop braid weight to 3lb i would opt for a 1-3kg.
    Jack.

I have a 7ft 1-3kg Pflueger Trion that I have matched with a 1500 Symetre FI spooled with 8lb Power Pro which is the same dia as 4lb Fireline (0.13mm).

It casts very light jigheads and harbodies beautifully and I seem to catch more fish on this rod than my 7ft 2-4kg Dropshot/2500 Symetre FI combo which is loaded with 6lb Fireline.

Both outfits are nicely balanced but I prefer to use the Trion which really does load up well with Flathead/Bream/Whiting and even the occasional School Jew.

I also own a 6'6" Pflueger Asaro which is rated at 2-4kg but is a pleasure to fish with teamed up with the 1500 Symetre.

My first graphite rods were Dropshots and I still use them but I have become a fan of Pflueger rods which I believe have blanks with a really nice action.

If you want to cast further then IMO ditch the Power Pro and get a Japanese PE braid like TD Sensor, Sunline Castaway/Super PE etc. Much thinner and suppler than the American braids.

Yeah mate, just go the lighter line to start with or just a better type of braid.
    You can run 6lb Rock Fish and you will think you are using about a 2-3lb braid.
    It casts really well and is a lot cheaper than a new rod and reel.
    If you go down to the 1-3 you would want a 1000 Shimano or 2000 diawa to match it.
    I have landed a 50cm snapp on a 1-3kg and the 6lb Rock Fish with 3lb leader.
    It takes a while but it is awesome fun.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Mate if yo want to fish light then fish 3lb fulrocarbon right through

I just recently purchased a 7 ft ,1 to 3 kg Nitro Vapor and am extremely happy with it.On a recent session picked up a 80 cm Flathead and was very impressed how well it performed. At first I was a bit dubious on how it would handle a larger fish but it did it with ease. So just keep the 2 to 4 and add another rod to the arsenal

Just do it buy another rod and become a tackle junkie like me.1-3 rods tend to be more sloppy but that depends on the blank .The North Fork 1-3 is excellant but expensive.
    Graham

I was thinking just using the 1-3 for 1/32 and lighter heads and the light hards. Wouldn't mind something with a bit more bend I feel as though I drop a few fish as my rod seems to stiff in the middle section.

I might try going a thin japense braid though and see how that performs.

Quote Originally Posted by 004dam View Post
    I was thinking just using the 1-3 for 1/32 and lighter heads and the light hards. Wouldn't mind something with a bit more bend I feel as though I drop a few fish as my rod seems to stiff in the middle section.

I might try going a thin japense braid though and see how that performs.
    I would seriously recommend Varivas braid in the sea bass. It is silky smooth and thinner than any other i've used. you pay for it but it's worth it. makes a distinct difference in casting distance.

Nitro and lox produce some nice 1-3kg rods that are not too exy.

Stay far away from sunline super pe
    "True Blue"

Nitro Vapor 7', Stradic CI4 2500, 4lb nitlon braid is what I have and use it most times. Casts the light jigheads and small placcies well. Don't know if i get 30m with the wriggler on the 1/16 jig head though. Originally had a 1000 twinpower and it felt too small. The larger stradic is lighter and doesn't balance the rod perfectly but that doesn't worry me one bit. The whole outfit is light and easy to use all day.

Loophole why do you dislike Super Pe, have you had problems with it?

just bought a pflueger patriarch 2-6lb 6'6. love it to death. so light, awesome grip and guides. stiffness is great for casting and not too stiff for fighting. if you want really long casts id get a longer rod. but the patriarch has top accuracy. thin pe braid also gains distance which i have on 2 spools for my stradic FI 10lb and 4lb. I think the line propulsion design on the shimanos help alot with distance also. Patriarch is top quality for money. Ive heard great things about the samurai's. but $500 is a bit much for me