Thread: Can anyone recommend cheap split ring pliers?

Can anyone recommend cheap split ring pliers?

Chasing some new split ring pliers. Wondering what peoples opinions on on some cheap but effective split ring pliers? are they all the same are they all just as easy as the other pair?.

Re: Can anyone recommend cheap split ring pliers?

What size?
    Got a set of rapala ones that are good for size 2 through to about 5's. Do the job.

Mostly on smaller bream lures so 1-5 would do the trick.

Have found the 'cheap' split ring pliers dont have a fine enough taper on the 'upper' jaw. Can't remember the brand (have had em for too many years...and its not stamped on em) but they are stainless steel, have blue plastic grips on the handles, and are only what you would class as 5" in normal pliers. I think I got them from wilsons when i had my tackle shop. Whenever any one is round my place for a 'pre trip prep' and we get around to changing trebles on lures....they all have probs with the smaller split rings....then i drag out me trusty old set and things just roll along. So in a nutshell...look for a fine angle in the 'beak' and about a one mil gap between beak and end of lower jaw. Sorry can't help you with brands......havent had to buy a set for 15 years.

Greg

I have a coiple of sets of Rapala pliers that have split ring facility, But I don't think they are real flash for the smaller ones.

I have a pair of the small shimano ones...they seem to handle the fine rings quite well and they were not expensive at the time ..like arround $12.

But you realy do need to look at the pliers before you buy.

Some of the chepaer items may be a bit inconsistent, so select the best pair.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

For size 2 and smaller I use a set of the tweezer type ones, Smiths. Cost about $15. If only doing a few I use my fingernails.

Yep those Smiths pincers are the go mate.
    I have had a pair for about 2 years and hardly ever need a larger pair.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au