Thread: Moreton Island Spear Fishing - Bulwer to Tangalooma

Moreton Island Spear Fishing - Bulwer to Tangalooma

Just posting this up as there seems to be a lot of guys making the mistake of Spear Fishing in a non-spear fishing area.

The area from 200m North of the Bulwer wrecks to Tangalooma Point and west to the shipping channel is a no go area for Spear Fishing. I have this information direct from the local Queensland Fisheries Inspectors. There are Signs on the Western Beach at Moreton Island identifing this area !!

Marine parks may have slightly different legislation for this area, but the full area described above is covered by Fisheries regulations and strictly no Spear Fishing.

See attached extracts from the Fisheries Regulations for more details.

Please give a heads up to your buddies if they target this area.

Regards
    Craigie

Re: Moreton Island Spear Fishing - Bulwer to Tangalooma

I did not realize the entire coastline from Skirmish Point to Double Island point was a no go zone for spearos.
    I did know about the others though.
    Jack.

I guess its easy to get confused when the fisheries website only states no spearing in the "Artificial reef area Moreton Island near Cowan Cowan."

I would not have thought bulwer would be included in this but i guess the devil in the detail..

Just checked up the Fisheries Web Site, that's true it does state "Artificial reef area Moreton Island near Cowan Cowan", but to be totally fair to Fisheries it does also state on multiple occasions - "Note: for precise boundaries consult Fisheries Regulations 2008, some areas marked by SFB sign".

See link below -

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3057.htm