Thread: New to fishing in Brisbane.

New to fishing in Brisbane.

Hi all

Long time reader, first time member and keen fisher.. Imported from Darwin to Brisbane about 6 years ago. recently purchased a boat last July and recently finished setting it up for offshore. Starting to learn a bit about Morten bay from reading this forum however am still trying to get offshore (everyday ive picked the minister for finance and war has had other plans otherwise the weather was not great.
    Have fished the broadwater but mainly stay in the bay as it is closer to home...
    Happy to take any pointers and have read many posts on Morten Bay fishing..

Lucas

Re: New to fishing in Brisbane.

Lucas,

Lots to learn about moreton bay, it can be beautiful for 1 minute then brutal the next. Take your time, get out and explore, only experience out there will make a difference. Also let us know what type of boat you have and we can let you know ideal weather etc for your vessel.

Alternatively take a member out that knows the bay well and get him to show you around, plenty of guys on here that would be willing to do that.

Cheers Lee

Hi Lee

I have a 5.05mt plate with a 90 2 stroke yamaha carry 120lts and have taken it as far as cape morten also out the seaway i have noticed anything after about 15knots and 1.5mt swells is a bit uncomfortable for other people in the boat (i have a big captains chair installed that takes the brunt of the back problems )
    however this does not feel unsafe in the boat as it is high sided and it also has all the safety gadgets and a few top make me feel more comfortable.

I have found a few spot on my own in the bay and normally come home with something but after fishing Darwin for 20+ years i am looking to improve my fishing methods i do prefer bait fishing.

Cheers Lucas

Gidday Lee,

What side of town are you on?

Regards,

Keith

Lucas,

Keep an eye on the meet and greet sections, maybe do a tag along trip out with someone, Alternatively if you have been to cape moreton maybe travel around a bit further to shallow tempest or any of the close in reefs around there, on a nice day just look for the other boats, always plenty there.

After fishign Darwin you may be disappointed down here, no where near the sort of numbers and quality you get up there.

Cheers Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks for the information heading to Bris river this Sunday to try and out do the mother she was out in Darwin on Saturday and sent me photos of a few of her catches. Some nice cod and golden snapper. Not really liking my chances but after calling her catch bait i better try to get something.. See pics below

Hey Lucas,

Welcome to the site. All good advice from lethal and I am sure that by staying a regular user of this site you will quickly pick up the tips to be a successful and safe boatie in Brisbane. I to have a boat similar to yours and take it out to the Barwon Banks off Mooloolabah. When the weather is stable, it is an easy run. I actually think Moreton Bay is far more dangerous and unpredictable than a run to the banks when the weather is being dodgy.

Anyway, happy to take you along some time if you are interested.

Ross
    So many fish, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tunzafun View Post
    Hey Lucas,

Moreton Bay is far more dangerous and unpredictable than a run to the banks when the weather is being dodgy.

Anyway, happy to take you along some time if you are interested.

Ross
    Really?? Lucas, welcome, I have fished the bay out of my little 4.3mtr glass boat for about 20 years and found that it helps to plan your trip around wind direction. Use ramps that will give you a following sea (if you can trust weather predictions) on your trip home if it blows up while you are out there. I have never found the bay dangerous, just very uncomfortable when the distance between waves is very short, compared to offshore. Your boat should handle anything the bay throws at you if you know your limitations - use common sense. The banks is a very long way by comparison, and brings on a whole new focus on having the right gear, including VHF radio over long distances. I recently did this in my upgrade to 6mtr Yaltacraft. Ask if you need help, plenty willing to do that, me included.

Scalem

Hi Tunzafun

i have been reading a bit about the banks on this site and the interest is definatly there, The only worry i have in travelling there is the distance as i am unsure of how far they are. Would you have a comparison such as Bris river mouth to .....
    Thanks in advance

Hi Scalem

i have found the port of brisbane ramp the best for me to use as its resonably close to home and i can get out more often. In regards to safety gear when i first brought the boat the bloke i got it from never had it outside the seaway apparently... so it got fully fitted out with all brand new safety gear for offshore work. Always willing to listen to seasoned locals as i have learnt they know what they are talking about.
    Would be happy to take you along if you are interested so that i can get a better understanding of the bay. It is normally a couple of Darwin boys going out with no real knowledge of the fishing habits of the bay. Just luck that we chuck some bait over board and actually catch something.

Lucas