Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance Elite -5 DSI

Lowrance Elite -5 DSI

I have just installed a new Lowrance Elite -5 DSI into my boat. The user manual provided with the unit is very basic and holds very little information on the operation of the unit. I have logged onto the Lowrance site and its community area to find more information however found that the only info on the site is exactly what was provided in the box with the unit. I was wondering if anyone knew of a site or document with more thorough information on how to use the unit?
    "My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it"

Re: Lowrance Elite -5 DSI

currently looking at the same model wayne looks like a good combo for the price,shame i cant really help you but have a look on youtube there is a bit of imformation on operation, hope someone out there can give you more info.

Quote Originally Posted by squid viscous View Post
    currently looking at the same model wayne looks like a good combo for the price,shame i cant really help you but have a look on youtube there is a bit of imformation on operation, hope someone out there can give you more info.

Thanks for your reply squid, I have been playing around with it a fair bit and have the "basics" pretty much down now, but it would be good to be able to use the full features or at least know more about them.

The unit however is brilliant, the DSI is awesome, I have never before seen echo imaging so clear. The only shame with the purchase is the lack of info in the box.

I remember buying a base model Lowrance fishfinder years ago and not only did it come with a protective lockable case (for when it was out of the boat) it also had a manual as thick as a dictionary. When you buy the Elite you get a ten to twelve page small booklet and a very basic installation instruction sheet...I was also very surprised that there wasn't a case or bag for the unit for when it was out of the boat!
    I guess you don't get much these days for a thousand bucks.
    "My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it"

Have to agree Wayne you only get what you ask for...literally...
    Just bought the elite 5M & elite 5x DSI haven't given them a run yet but can't wait..

Cheers
    Dave

The dsi should have have the same functionality and the downscan with the hds.

Its not that much of a learning curve and you seem to have it under control already.

What full features are you referring to etc?

Its is pretty simple to use and I love my HDS. Best of all the downscan is what i use majority of the time.

Cheers

Lee

Hey Wayne,
    I guess youve got more hours up on the DSI by now I hope? Just wondering if your still real happy with the unit pros/cons etc as im still looking to phurchase, any feedback would be appreciated.
    Cheers Squid

Hey Squid,

I definately have my head around it now mate. It is a brilliant unit and I have been extremely happy with its performance and options. The DSI is simply amazing.....I am very happy and think I have got extremely great value for money...the only "con" is probably the user is a bit of a dope...otherwise it is a great bit of gear...........hope that answers your question mate?
    Regards
    Wayne

Hey Wayne,

Good to hear ya happy with ya new unit. I've been checking these out for the last couple of weeks. They look the goods. Just curious mate... Are ya using it in salt water? If so, to what depths? And are you just using DSI for everything, or have ya got another unit too?
    Pretty keen on the unit, biggest concern is I will only have it in my boat and nothing else. So wondering what it would be like relying just on DSI. Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
    Worky.

Hey Worky,

I have only used the unit in salt water so far, I haven't had the chance to get the boat up to the dam into any fresh water as yet. I've not as yet gone into water deeper than about 45m but t works just fine. I constantly change the screen mode depending on where I am fishing but I guess it just comes down to personal choice how you use it. I don't have any other unit in the boat, I removed my humminbird fish finder and rely on the Lowrance solely. I have more info available to me then ever before with just the one unit, so it works fine for me.

Hey Wayne i'm thinking of going with that type of sounder tech as well ..in place of the new old style. Any unbiased info regarding the difference in performance/fishability/ease of use is greatly appreciated. I'm such an old fart when it comes to tech...still debating whether to even bother going to colour from b/w coz spent so much time on b/w lowrance units...the marketing piccies make these dsi thingies look schmick but do you truly think its an advantage over your old sounder ? easy to get used to ? more obvious what the bottom is ? any easier to spot fish/baitfish ? Do u hold bottom at planing speed ? I'm mainly 5m -60m water depth. Worth having a separate 4-5" gps alongside ?

Hey Deckie,

I think this unit is a vast improvement over my old b/w humminbird. As stated before the biggest delima I encountered was MY knowledge (or lack thereof) of sounders and GPS features and usablity. Once I was up to speed with the functions it became quite simple to use. The marketing pics are an exact replication of the clarity and quality that you will get with the unit...I was very surprised with it myself. The bottom clarity is superb and you can actualy enhance both the bottom and surface readings and reduce noise for better definition. The GPS inlcluded in the unit is brilliant but if you already have a good GPS I would probably get the sounder only version of the unit.....if you do go for one of the units make sure you go for the DSI version...its the DSI that gives the clarity. The Elite model sounders come with a real mixed bag of options and it can be somewhat confusing when buying one, so make sure you get the one with the features you are looking for.

Regards

WayneB

Cheers Wayne. You;re making a minor decision even easier. I;m probably not the only one that just assumes the tech we use is right for the area...we get better at using what we have but i;m just coming around to realising its best to start with whats best THEN get better at interpreting that.
    For shallow water <50m or so they certainly seem the go, and the clarity is something amazing compared to the normal sounders i've used.
    I'm sold. I guess its only whether a H'Bird or stick with Lowrance.
    tx very much wayne...huge help.
    Steve

i'm fitting one in the bandit right now, two annoying things so far,
    transducer lead not long enough for my boat (only 6mtrs) sheesh,
    extra cables needed to get the nmea speed data out to my fuel computer.

hey guys, have been looking at a lowrance elite 5 dsi gold colour combo fishfinder /chartplotter, have seen them on a j+h products site for $719 , don,t know if this is a us site and us dollars or if an aussie site and oz dollars.does anyone have any feedback on this unit and if this is agood buy, also map charts for gps, do they come supplied, is it hard to get charts for moreton bay, and how much they cost. i want this for general bay fishing and chasing prawns, do they show prawns on the screen. any help would be greatly appreciated, royslaven

I have the HDS and the DSI both running on my boat a bit of a mistake as they can not be networked. I do not believe they show the fish like you would see on a HDS system but they do show the bottom quite clearly, keep in mind that the DSI does not read a great depth, apart from that they are a more basic unit compared to the HDS for about the same $s in the same screen size