Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Baitrunner?

Which Baitrunner?

Hi guys
    Looking at a baitrunner type reel for live baiting cobes,mackies etc using 8-10kg
    The Penns have always been a reliable reel,so thinking of the Slammer liveliner range.
    How do these compere to the Shimano"s ? As always,any and all opinions are appreciated.
    Cheers

Gav.

Re: Which Baitrunner?

Hi Castamasta,

I haven't had any personal experience with the Penns but I have Shimano Baitrunners, with 3 being the 6500B series. I have one new 12000 'D' series baitrunner but I am not entirely happy with it compaired to the 'B' series. A couple of mates have had major failures with the new 'D' series already while the 'B' series just keeps on going strong. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Carry

Agree with carry the shimano 6500b,4500b,3500b series are hard to beat they take a beating the new d Series are just not built the same

Another vote for the original B series Baitrunners. I have some going on 20 years that have caught some big fish, had long fights on 8kg, still going strong.

Thanks for the heads up guys.
    Gav

+1 for the b series shimano 6500

hey mate,i just happen to have one for sale in the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by softplasticsdude79 View Post
    hey mate,i just happen to have one for sale in the classifieds.
    Hi dude....your not going to believe this,but i found your add just after i committed to buy one elsewhere,timing is a wonderful thing
    Thanks all the same
    Gav

The 4500 is plenty big enough for macks
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

And the 4500 seems to be a fair bit lighter also

I have both the 4500 and the 6500 and the 6500 just sits around until the day I want to go fighting bigger fish

D series are rubbish.. pathetic joke that shimano actually released this to market

Quote Originally Posted by fat-buoy View Post
    And the 4500 seems to be a fair bit lighter also

I have both the 4500 and the 6500 and the 6500 just sits around until the day I want to go fighting bigger fish
    The 6500 has a metal rotor and the 4500 a graphite one which accounts for alot of the weight differance

I want to ask you guys, given the "D" is so appalling, what about the Thunnus Baitrunner?

Do they justify the substantial price premium over a "B" series?

I've been extremely happy with the performance and longevity of my B's... but there will come a time when updating with be required.

Thunnus baitrunners had issues of water getting in through the rear of the reel. Same as the Big Baitrunner Big-BTR they are also rubbish.

Stick with the A & B models IMO
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

D series are rubbish.. pathetic joke that shimano actually released this to market
    I have replaced my trusty 4500BTR with the new 4000D and I couldn't be happier!!! Nothing wrong with the BTR of course, but the 4000D is heaps lighter/smoother/better balanced. So I am a bit surprised at the level of criticism against the D serie!

Anyway, if I go live-baiting for cobs/kings I use an OH with 24Kg mono and a locked drag, not an eggbeater!!!

A friend of mine who doesn't like to waste time playing (any!) fish swears by the Quantum Cabo and judging by the jewies he's caught on it, it must be plenty strong!