84. You may not vote on this poll
  • saragosa 8000

55 65.48%
  • saltist 4500h

29 34.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saragosa vs saltist

saragosa vs saltist

hey guys i have a catalina 90-180 gram jig rod and was wondering if i could get you opinions on the saragosa 8000 or a saltist 4500h will be used for jigging for kings and some light tackle trolling. i know he saltist only has 10kg of drag but the rod is only rated to 10kg of drag anyway. cheers in advance

Re: saragosa vs saltist

Why not match it with the Catalina 4500 reel........?

Tuff as nails and built on the Saltiga production line.

Dan

love to mate but not quite in the budget right now

If you were after a spinning outfit I would go for the Saltist but for jigging the Gosa would suit better
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Same response as Horse here. The saltist is not that friendly for jigging with its high retrieve rate the times i have used one. Out of the two i would go the gosa.

Don't know about the 8000 but bought the wench a Gosa 18000 on a 15Kg T-Curve and spooled with 50lb braid. Watched her work a metre plus Kingie up to the boat in 60M until a seal nailed it by the tail, and then she almost got the seal to the boat until it panicked, jumped and landed across the line, snapping the braid. The Gosa is a nice reel to use, well balanced and a nice action, and a nice smooth drag.

It is a nice outfit to use, but may be considered a bit heavy for everyday use, I have jigged with it for a day and came away tired but happy, landing several kingies with ease, and beating the seals most of the time.

yeah those t-curves will do that to u i already have heavier jigging gear but landing 1m kings on a 400-500 gram rod is just no fun anymore lol

After owning both, the Saragosa will beat it hands down. The Saltist's are a waste of time as they have no quality control. You will get 5 good ones and 5 crap ones. Unless you step up to the Catalina, you will be hard pressed to beat the Saragosa.

I knocked over a 122cm G.T a few weeks back on the little 4000 Saragosa and it was smooth as and was as good as any of my reels twice the price.

Cheers,
    Nick Stock

thanks nick thats what i thought mate

Quote Originally Posted by nickstock View Post
    After owning both, the Saragosa will beat it hands down. The Saltist's are a waste of time as they have no quality control. You will get 5 good ones and 5 crap ones. Unless you step up to the Catalina, you will be hard pressed to beat the Saragosa.

I knocked over a 122cm G.T a few weeks back on the little 4000 Saragosa and it was smooth as and was as good as any of my reels twice the price.

Cheers,
    Nick Stock

Hey Nick

What failures have you been having with the Saltists.

Talking Re: saragosa vs saltist

Quote Originally Posted by byron_moses View Post
    yeah those t-curves will do that to u i already have heavier jigging gear but landing 1m kings on a 400-500 gram rod is just no fun anymore lol
    Fishing for the table and competing with a seal colony doesn't inspire me to be sporting , let alone keeping them away from the Bronzies.

Its a spin rod rated to 15Kg with a lure size recommended at 80-120g, and a nice outfit to use, hoping to try it on some decent YFTuna shortly

Cheers

Thy

comment removed

Hi BM i looked at both for jigging as well. I went with the saltist it seemed smoother and more compact the the saragosa IMO. Nickstock has a good point, my first trip a bearing came out in the guts somewhere on the 3rd drop. Its still with diawa getting fixed. I guess it can happen, i'm happy to give the saltist another go, i haven't tryied the gaso but will one day sure there great. Match it with the wilson live fibre venom jig rod. Go see brett at ballina bait and tackle he'll look after you.

saragosa! i have one and its great. my mate bought the saltist and after 6 months has had to replace the roler bearing and the drag washers. not to make is diawa vs shimano but i keep my diawa's for my friends to use now and use all shimano reels. ive never had a problem with them and my mate uses diawa's and seems like he is always replacing something.

Interesting. I was deciding between a Saragosa 8000 and the Stradic 8000 and the blokes in the shop said don't buy the Saragosa as they have a very soft rotor. The big ones are fine but the smaller ones have a lot of flex in the rotor. Check it before you buy one.