Thread: crispy snapper

crispy snapper

Don't know if any of you have been to the Spirit House in Yandina before, but for those that have will know that it is one of, if not, the finest and authentic Thai restaurants on the coast.

Heres a recipe from 1 of there books Essentially Thai that i always order from there and now cook it at home occasionally, and just enjoyed tonight.

By the way all these ingredients are available at woolworths.

WHOLE CRISPY FISH WITH ROASTED CHILLI PASTE AND LEMONGRASS

1 whole firm fleshed fish about 800g,scaled and gutted (snapper), 2lt of vegetable oil.

Sauce

2 stalks Lemon grass,finely chopped,bottom half only and outer leaves removed

8 Kaffir lime leaves

2 teaspoons of Palm sugar

2 tablespoons Fish sauce

2 tablespoons Tamarind water or puree

4 tablespoons roasted Chili paste

half a cup Chicken stock

half a cup Thai Basil leaves

1 large red chili, de-seeded and thinlysliced.

Crosshatch fish with diagonal cuts almost to the bone

heat the oil in the wok to medium high and carefully lower the fish into the oil. Baste exposed fish with oil while cooking for aprox 10-15 min, skin should be crispy. Remove from wok and drain on paper towel.

Transfer to a serving plate and pour the prepared sauce over it.

To make sauce: combine the lemongrass,kaffir lime leaves, palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind puree, roasted chili past and stock in a small saucepan and bring to the boil,stirring until the sugar has dissolved. add the basil leaves and chili. remove from the heat as soon as the basil has wilted.

hope you take the time to try this dish cause its truly sensational. mmm.
    ps to get the fish nice and crispy it is essential that you use vegetable oil.

jp

heres a pic on how it should look. enjoy.

Re: crispy snapper

Hey JP. I can second that. The Spirit House has great food.

I didn't get Crispy Snapper when I went, Had to put up with Crispy Mangrove Jack!

More often than not i cook my snapper much like this. Thank you for the recipe. I will give it try for sure.

One other thing i have just learnt thanks to AF member pommy is that not all fish sauces are the same and it is best to try the ones from asian stores over the woolworths or coles brands.

Thanks Jason

That sounds very much like the Sambal Fish I used to order from a thai place in Parramatta when I was living in Sydney. I will give this one a shot as it sounds spot on.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    More often than not i cook my snapper much like this. Thank you for the recipe. I will give it try for sure.

One other thing i have just learnt thanks to AF member pommy is that not all fish sauces are the same and it is best to try the ones from asian stores over the woolworths or coles brands.
    Squid brand and Tiparos premium with the gold label are pretty reliable IMHO,
    also Viet Huong 3 crabs and if you can find it 5 crabs sauce are also good, 3 crabs beign slighly sweeter and 5 crabs being stronger and best as a dippign sauce.