Thread: Have You Fished Somerset Dam ?

Have You Fished Somerset Dam ?

Gday Fellas

If you happened to fish Somerset over the break or recently could you let us know if you have caught any of the Pearl Cichlid as shown in the photos attached.

These are a pest fish that is now in the waterways and it would be nice to find out that it is not multiplying like the Talapia.

Also, if you happen to pick up a Fork Tailed Catfish, please advise.
    Both should be destroyed.

Thank you
    Gordon

Re: Have You Fished Somerset Dam ?

Why should you destroy Fork Tail Catfish? It`s a native species . Gaz

I have only one verbal report of a Cichlid a few days ago, so, no reports is good news.

May be the Bass and Goldens are feeding on their young. All good.

Gordon

i could be wrong but the eel tailed catfish is the native fish i think

I dont know the ancient history on the 2 Catties but I caught a dozen fork tails in the salty section of the Brisbane 40 years ago about where Karana Downs stands.

Many years later we took a couple of cornsacks of the eel tails from Enogerra reservoir. I would say that are the habitat they prefer.

The fork tails will survive in the fresh.

They are not welcome in Wivenhoe. Awoonga and if we can avoid having them in Somerset then all the better. Most fishermen I have spoken to prefer to fillet and eat the eel tail rather than the forks.

No Cichlid reports is great news.

Gordon

Over Easter at somerset I caught lots of juvenile Tilapia in the Redclaw traps and destroyed them as required. Was absolutely surprised at the number of juvenile Tilapia in the pots eating the remains of the rock melon. Didn't know they were vegetarians too.

Had a rather large redclaw inside one of the pots that was eaten from inside out and only the shell and claws remained. Still don't know what got him, but must have been fairly large possible an eel.

Mate it sounds like one of the red claw threw it's shell. They do that when they outgrow their shells. It is amazing to watch. Everything comes off intact. I kept red claw years ago in a fish tank and I watched it once.

Forktail Catfish are native in Awoonga and Lake Wivenhoe. They therefore deserve to be treated like any other native fish in those waterways.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to