Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best 2500 reel under $200

best 2500 reel under $200

Ive got some tired gear & have not kept up with all the new gear coming out over the last two years.

So if you had to replace all your "workhorse" reels over a twelve month period starting at say a 2000 size reel and going up to say a 5000 . What would you buy.
    The budget is modest so ,,, say $100-150 for the 2000 .$ 100-200 for a 3000.
    $200-300 for a 4000,, $300-350 for the 5000.

Alternatively 4 good value reels in those size classes for under $1000.

for estuary,bay, and light offshore work.

Ok all you tackle junkies give me some ideas.

Re: best 2500 reel under $200

i just recently picked up a daiwa tierra from america for 125 delivered ..they come in all sizes they are 239 at BCF you get two spools as well so that is pretty much the same thing as having different size reels ..you could catch pretty much anyfish in the areas mentioned with a 2000 and a 4000 with four different spools of line... so why not go with two good quality reels ...i am partial to the daiwa heartland XA but a shimano sustain or twin power would kill it too

just to clarify in most reel sizes there is very little difference between say a 3000 and a 4000 normally very slight retrieve and spools capacity ratios....IMO four spools of line say in the 2000 6lb and 10lb and the 4000 15lb and 30lb....with a nice mix of rods would catch just about anything i can think of in your area in any situation

Look at the Stradic range. I use a 3000 for estuary and Bay work. It is the same weight as the 2500 and you can get them from about $155.00 landed. They pull up to 7kgs of drag and are fast enough to play around with small pelagics. I have pulled Snapps to 80cm on mine and it never missed a beat
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I'll second the Stradics. I have 1000FH, 1000FI, 2500FH, and 3000FI. You can find them pretty cheap in the States. You could get 4 for alot less than $1000, enough left to get some rods.

although i do not use the stradics they do represent good value for money and will fit your criteria well.
    Following on from the previous post 4 purchased at the same time and freighted together would save a heap.
    Regards to all Dick

Thanks, guys. You are right ,I had not thought it through , two reels with spare spools is the way too go.
    I took my kids out for fish and chips last night and threw an outfit in the back of the car.Fish and chips down by the river and a quick flick down by the river seemed a nice way to finish the day. Alas!!! after a couple of cast the reel started binding up , I will have too pull it apart today . But It set me thinking how old most of my gear is getting.

I had a look on line at Shimano & Daiwa & Abu websites last night for some inspiration, then on impulse looked at Tuff Tackle.... quality bearings & components & a five year warranty on the 2000 and 4000. $89 & $99 respectively.
    Does anyone have/use them and if so do you like them, they look to be value for money.
    They also offer a design it yourself service,about to start. You pick the components from a menu, and they assemble it for you with as much bling as you want if you want, or if you prefer it, no "show" and all "go".

Cheers
    rando

reel fishing deals US worth a look

I am currently doing a deal with ..Jay's Hunting and Fishing......USA E-bay.

US$670 for 4 of the Med to larger size Shimano Stradic reels delivered to my door in Brisbane.

Regards
    Craigie

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    then on impulse looked at Tuff Tackle.... quality bearings & components & a five year warranty on the 2000 and 4000. $89 & $99 respectively.
    Does anyone have/use them and if so do you like them, they look to be value for money.
    I keep looking at these. Would love to hear a first hand report on them, or to see/feel one in person.
    They sound like an excellent reel for the price and the other model of reel that Tuff Tackle do got excellent reviews. I can only imagine that those $99 would be great value.

I thought Tuff Tackle has gone out of business due to quality issues.

I like the Shimano Symetre in that price range. Just ordered another from the States at a bit cheaper.

I have owned a 1500 and 2500 Shimano Symetre FI for several years and have found them to be good value for money. They have both performed very well while catching a variety of estuarine species and still spin smoothly.

I have been trying to find a site where I can directly compare reels from various manufacturers, specs price performance.
    Can anyone provide a link or address, as I havent yet found what i need.

I've had a 2500 Shimano Sahara for almost a year and a half now, and it's still just as good as it ever was, even after being put through sand, salt water and a fair few big rays.

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!