Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking cobia??

Cooking cobia??

Anyone got a good recipe for the old black kings?

Cheers, Marto

Re: Cooking cobia??

cut out all red / brown flesh - only keep white flesh. anything red will taint the flavour and is why a lot of people think they taste bad - because they didn't prepare the fish properly

also be a bit heavy handed when skinning, take more off than you would for other fish species to ensure no colour left on the fillet

then just crumb or batter and deep / shallow fry

very good eating, quite contrary to some popular opinion

a good cobia puts a lot of good meals in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    cut out all red / brown flesh - only keep white flesh. anything red will taint the flavour and is why a lot of people think they taste bad - because they didn't prepare the fish properly

also be a bit heavy handed when skinning, take more off than you would for other fish species to ensure no colour left on the fillet

then just crumb or batter and deep / shallow fry

very good eating, quite contrary to some popular opinion

a good cobia puts a lot of good meals in the freezer.

I dont know what happened we caught two cobes between three blokes one 12kg, the other 16kg and I have only got one feed out them. Beats me what happed to all the fillets. I suppose thats what happens when you go to sleep after cleaning all the fish and leave the missus in charge.

The last of the fillets just went into a curry for tonight and thanks for the cleaning tips Mick.

Marto

100% with Mick. Just a personal taste but I find them a little too strong in flavour if the steaks/fillets are more than 1/2 inch thick. I keep them thin and they are nice. They are good for fish cakes too.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I dont know what happened we caught two cobes between three blokes one 12kg, the other 16kg and I have only got one feed out them. Beats me what happed to all the fillets. I suppose thats what happens when you go to sleep after cleaning all the fish and leave the missus in charge.

The last of the fillets just went into a curry for tonight and thanks for the cleaning tips Mick.

Marto
    a lot of flesh can be wasted through carless filleting - by carless I mean doing it the way you would do a small fish.

cobia have a very thick backbone and you can lose an entire serve thickness fillet by just running the knife over the backbone in a hurry.

I use a round nosed butchering knife and fillet to the backbone from both sides, and then work the knife slowly up and over the backbone

because cobia are large it is hard to handle an entire fillet - best way is to do the fish in sections, portioned into correct lengthed slabs of fillet. that way you only remove as much fillet at a time as you can handle comfortably and not waste it though incorect knife cuts

it just shits me when I see people slash the knife through for what is easy to take off a big cobia, and then chuck 6 + odd kilos of flesh to the crabs that could easily have been recovered by spending 15 minutes longer with some good knife work. biggest thing though, is to have a round nosed butchering knife with semi flex that wiggles nicely over the backbone

good big fish are too few and far between for me to waste flesh off them,

I never steak them either - always thin fillets

I totally agree with you TB. I see many fish filleted wasting good flesh. I am constantly ribbed by mates because I am slow when filleting fish, but all my frames are transparent......maximum flesh recovery. I dont use the rounded butchers knives, but do make sure my flexible fillet knives are razor sharp and can 'walk' over the backbone of larger fish. I spend too much time, money and energy catching decent fish to waste the flesh. Cobes are great eating when trimmed correctly.

Greg

you should try a good razor sharp butchers knife of the right size compared to the pointy filleting knives for big backbone work - you might never go back.....

I still use my normal filleting knives for skinning and other work, but on big fish, a flexible round nosed knife is awsome.

people don't do it just because it 'appears' to be all wrong - but it aint...

I agree with the round nosed knife Mick, I was given a knife made by Dick a year ago and it has been awesome for filleting fish especially the big cobes. We did end up with one fillet that was a bit butchered when I let my mate take over for a bit, but other wise there was not much meat left on the frames.

I think I got the raw deal in regards to fillet distribution tho, I ended up with 5 bags of fillets, the mother and law took some, the missus cooked some without removing the blood while I was asleep and I ended up with a bag and a half of the tail end of the fillets which were full of blood and no good.

I am pretty sure the other boys ended up with some quality fillets in their share. Ah well such is life, hopefully heading to 1770 next weekend to stock up on reefies next weekend.

Marto

Some years back Roz showed us how to fillet a cobia by hanging it up by it's tail under the house. (could use tree or what ever to hang from)

You start at the tail and work your way down one side at a time, and the fillets falls down and out of your way so that you are not trying to cut and hold at the same time, it was really easy, you would be surprised just how easy it was and all done in one piece with minimal waste. You can then skin. The other thing was that the fish was not gutted and the fillets where taken off with out the gutts spilling everywhere.

As prevously said make sure you take out all color, and you can use the fish anyway you want. We found it not strong at all and crumbed it as well as used the cobia in a french dish and other styles of cooking like stir frys and fish cakes.

I don't like and won't eat strong tasting fish but I ate this one no problems time and time again.
    cheers
    sandyd

Yeah supried to hear people saying it is strong- I think it is a reasonably mild flavoured fish. Obviously blood lines will increase fishineess factor.

Here is a recipe I find great for Cobes- originally meant fr Swordfish, it is good with cobia, trevally, barra, yellowfin- anything that has a slight pinkish colour.

Cobia and Bok choy.

Cut 500g of fish into cubes - bite size
    Dust in 1-2 tablespoons of fresh cracked black pepper
    Fry on a very hot wok or pan with 2tbs oil for 2-3 min until just cooked thru
    and sit aside.
    Brown 3 cloves of finely sliced garlic and 1 sliced onion until brown.
    Add 100g of sliced shitake mushrooms and 2 bunches or rough chopped bok choy- stir fry until bok choy wilts.
    Mix 3Tbs hoisin sauce, 3 Tbs Rice wine vinegar, 1.5Tsp of Oyster suace, 1.5Tbs of Soy sauce together in a bowl. Add to wok.
    Heat through, add fish back in and cook for 1 minute.
    Add 1Tbs Seaseme oil and sprinkle with seaseme seeds to serve.

Just discovered this one and think it is awesome. It is even better as left overs as the flavours infuse more.

if anyone wants to see a selection of knives at a really good price, go to MARS safety in brendale. They supply the meatworks with knives and knife sharpening equipment.

great selection available, in various blade stiffness from stiff to full flex, for each shape of knife. You can really get exactly what you want.

Talk to Damien.

I like it plain straight on barbie hot plate with butter and mayo to serve with. Just like chicken

I have tried this one a few times and it is very nice. I think doing it with cobia would be much the same. Its simple and tastes great.

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/reci...amasa-kingfish

On the money with that one Deepfried. Also works with Jew, Albacore, Mahi Mahi, Kingfish, in fact most of the stronger flavoured pelagics with what i call 'large flaked flesh'. Have never tried it with mackeral but i am sure it would work the same. Also you can vary some of the ingredients to put your own 'touch' to the recipe.

I picked up a similar recipe from a mate who was chef at the Fisher's Ghost Restaraunt at Campbelltown, near Sydney, many years ago. Have been using it with variations ever since.

Cheers
    Greg

sounds good deepfried,i usually cut into small fillets soak in egg then crumb with salt and vinegar chips,the kids love it.