Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Etiquette Rules

Fishing Etiquette Rules

Amigos, I was fishing out wide the other day and I found a new spot and within fifteen minutes I was surrounded by boats going around my mark. One guy anchored so close I could not cast out that side of the boat with a hand line I asked him if he wanted a sandwich as I probably could have passed him one. Another who seemed to know the parisitical guy anchored next to me, actually snagged his troll lure in my anchor rope and he pulled up part of my rope to retrieve his lure. Thats pretty much were I lost it and gave it to them. I was always taught to remain a respectable distance away from other fishermen and if trawling to stay away from anchored boats. I moved to a new location about 2kms away and bingo achored idiot number one comes at me like a torpedo boat and anchors the exact location away as before. Cue explosion number 2. He reckons that he anchored were his mark was. I should have moved my mark, by that reckoning I could have run him over because my GPS said so. I must be behind on the new etiquette rules does somebody have a list of Thou Shall Nots! Cheers Pete

Re: Fishing Etiquette Rules

Very frustrating. Rude is the key word here.
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

Yep they had a hide like a Rhino. You would think after one pasting they would get the hint. I am not one for hogging a spot but there has got to be some rules.
    Pete

it happens i fished woody point this morning got onto my spot at 5am about 15 minutes later a fella comes up and asked me if i minded if he dropped his pick as i was near a mark he was going to fish so i said no problems but only because he had the decency to ask other wise i woud of said something, if people ask i don't mind normally its when they barge in like happened to you that gets on my giddy goat

shane

Yeah good point I think if they have the courtesy to ask it shows that they are aware of some etiquette. Theres one THOU SHALL NOT ANCHOR CLOSELY WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by waterbouy View Post
    Very frustrating. Rude is the key word here.
    That happens up my way too but theres more to it than being rude it's just plain arrogance and a severe lack of respect for anyone else.

Very rude and poor etiquette. Where about were you? What depth of water you fishing? I reckon about double the depth of water is as close to a general rule of thumb as I can come up with for anchoring near another boat.

Back of Keppels in Central queensland in about 80 foot of water. I have noticed a general dop in behaviour of the boaty brotherhood over the years but lately its just getting ridiculous. And the boat ramps are a whole new chapter.

Yeah I agree some guys are just plain (excuse the french) @#$&wits, we were 25 meters off a rocky point throwing lures into a school of fish when a guy came along trolling and actually trolled between us and the rocks. Felt like taking pot shots at his boat, man I was pissed, no brains, no thought for anyone but themselves. Cheers Mark

I call this act being Seagulled,nothing pisse's me more than this! Most of the times it's gumbes who wouldnt know their ass hole from their elbow,its flat out rude inconsiderate and dam right frustrating.I like the ones who will circle you blatently pining your spot and then have gall just to light up their engines and piss off,"W%$^&#S".
    A good topic for geting tha BLOOD PRESSURE pumping!
    Cheer's Squid!

Im a great believer in pain as an educating tool.....25 years ago you weren't game to behave like that because you knew that you would cop a smack in the mouth at some stage.....trouble is these days if "you" chose to educate someone in that manner "you" become the person with an issue.

If you think they are too close.... Go one bigger than the sinker you are using and cast it in their direction. If it hits the boat, then they are deemed to be too close. They will spew at you if you hit the boat, so ya just say; If you're not a hemmoroid, then get off my ass.

Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

imagine working with that everyday but worse trying to make a living welcome to the world of commercial fishing the rules say no interfering with a commercial operation no matter what the distance but anchoring is a minimum of 50meters its like parking a service station on top of another and expecting the first to make a quid bloody joke and fisheries don't police it.

Yes it gives me the shits aswell.......a large caliber hand gun would be a good deterent......but then i'd be the one in trouble.

Usually i just pull up and go somewhere else......if it's a really good spot sometimes i just move off before someone gets near me.

Dan

YEP thats what I did on the day and the A#se#h#l# followed me to another spot.
    I thought about the sinker thing or a good round of shot through the engine block would do it. But your right when we burr up all of a sudden were the ones who are wrong. Though its good to see some other fishermen out there have the same standards as me. Cheers Pete