Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Etiquette Rules

Re: Fishing Etiquette Rules

Etiquitte...yep agree its important (applies to driving too) but there always seems to be enough numbskulls around who don't think enough about 'other people' and/or expected protocol etc. In other words, they have "tunnel vision" that mostly encompasses 'me, myself and I'.

I've seen potential flare-ups before like on the Broadwater (Gold Coast) when the current is flowing fairly fast and one boat is anchored and another is drifting not too far from shore and when they cross paths within 3 metres or so of each other there are moans and groans and winges from both boat crews about who should give way or be getting their lines out of the water or to "pi## off" etc.

Even on Fraser Island when the tailor are on the bite and I'm driving down the beach and see ten or twenty people already fishing the same area - shoulder to shoulder, I think like I'm intruding by joining in (even though the blokes there mostly likely don't even know each other in the first place).

Anyway, I totally agree that fishing etiquitte is very important (as is etiquitte elsewhere). Deciding factors include personality, awareness, background, purpose, attitude and common sense of the everyday people who are accessing the same place as others.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

I've seen potential flare-ups before like on the Broadwater (Gold Coast) when the current is flowing fairly fast and one boat is anchored and another is drifting not too far from shore and when they cross paths within 3 metres or so of each other there are moans and groans and winges from both boat crews about who should give way or be getting their lines out of the water or to "pi## off" etc.

just a point when i was reading your post PNG1M
    I'M FAIRLY SURE that a vessel that is drifting is deemed to be underway.
    in that case it must giveway or show clearance to the vessel at anchor.
    probably would be different if they were anchored in a navigation channel and we have a vessel restricted by draft or manouverability

i know of a case of a 50 ton trawler colliding with a tinny drifting across its path
    worth thinking about because that incident ended with overturned manslaughter charges
    regards
    ken

Thanks for all the stories so far it has been a great read. Its amazing how things are getting out there.

The rule of sinkers was what I was told by an old fisherman. If you can tie a decent sinker to the end of your line and cast it and hit the other's boat then they are too close. If they complain they are simply told - "Just checking if you are too close and yep - you are!"

I guess the point is the idiots you encountered had to work very hard to become THAT rude!
    Horny

Live every day as if it's your last - for one day you're sure to be right!

I was fishing on the Goldcoast on the weekend about 6 or so meters from the rock wall. Naturally i was casting towards the rocks and a boat rocks up 2 meters from me( thats between me and the rock wall). Shinning a bright torch at the rock wall . Asking Is there any Fish. My reply was not any more, you ran over my fishing lines . He then called me a Smart Ass and made a comment about me moving my anchor line so he can drift the full rock wall. I told him to piss off and couldn't be buggered to say anything anymore and just kept throwing my lines towards his boat.

About 2 hours later another boat rocks up and does the same thing, at at 1am another boat comes. WTF i had enough and went home.

This was just the north wall at wavebreak too.

The reality is that self centred people do not and can not grasp the concept of courtesy, and etiquite is far more complicated than that.

If you tell some one off that is doing the wrong thing, they will call you rude.

To them courtesy is a one way thing, going their way.

Unfortunately courtesy is not all that common these days.

Of course all of these incidents display a lack of inteligence and vast ignorance of the fishing craft.

But ya gat that these days.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

good thread guys, im a big pusher for a ramp etiquette.
    up here in innisfail we have a two lane ramp no pontoon, when i come in i look at the last boat in the line and go in behind him and wait my turn, but you get these people who must be better then the rest of us , they drop off people on the rocks up stream, so you have three boats on the ramp 4 boats in a line and 10 drifting around their car backs down and stuffs up the flow, these people say they want to avoid the caos but they make it, the best one is when they push in then their electric winch wont work, then were down to one lane and theirs now 20 boats waiting. i will all ways wait my turn and when its my turn i go strait in regardless.

We just returned from the Keppels after being over there for two weeks ( thanks to Spaniard King for getting me a new O2 sensor Asap) and during that time I anchored my boat off shore. I have had the habit for years of throwing over two anchors at night as insurance. This came in handy because some day trippers came across in a bow rider and took the kids tubing. I watched as they missed my boat and other anchored boats by mere feet. Sure enough the prop got caught stopped his boat I watched my first anchor rope go slack and the second one take up. I rowed out went for a swim and retrieved my anchor which was only in about 8ft of water. Still those anchors are hard to swim with. Guy came over and apologised. I guess rules still aint rules. Hopefully he learnt from his mistakes. The two anchor rule while in port certainly has saved my hide a couple of times over the years. pete

I have some good and bad experiences. I will share a good experience I had a few months ago at the Sevens - east of Nth Straddie. My boat was bottom bashing on the reef. Two boats came and joined us. They both intended trolling around the sevens. They asked what style of fishing we were doing and which way we were drifting. They told me their intention of trolling. They did so around my boat at a good and safe distance. They had a triple hook up of mack tuna aorund 6kg. Not being good eating fish, they offered us one as bait for the bottom bashing. We caught heaps more fish bottom bashing with the new bait. they continued to catch more fish trolling around.

some very simple communication, some common sense and all done safely. All of us had a good day sharing the one area.

Regards Adam

I year on my secret fishing spot is now more populated than a bangkok bar, damn the GPS

I was out off moreton last week chasin up a school of tuna when a few other boats saw me chucking slugs to the school came over to have a sus... fair enough till one of them just charged str8 thru the school and after gettin thru the school his mate with rod waiting cast behind their boat expecting the school to still be feeding after they drove thru it at a high rate of knots!! NO IDEA!!! and the near anchoring is shocking i have had guys anchor up current from me and cast their rigs down either side of my boat as they were only 10 to 15m in front of me when anchor set!! i just start up and make a lot of noise then leave hopefully leaving the fish too scared to bite....

Quote Originally Posted by theangryangler View Post
    I was out off moreton last week chasin up a school of tuna when a few other boats saw me chucking slugs to the school came over to have a sus... fair enough till one of them just charged str8 thru the school and after gettin thru the school his mate with rod waiting cast behind their boat expecting the school to still be feeding after they drove thru it at a high rate of knots!! NO IDEA!!! and the near anchoring is shocking i have had guys anchor up current from me and cast their rigs down either side of my boat as they were only 10 to 15m in front of me when anchor set!! i just start up and make a lot of noise then leave hopefully leaving the fish too scared to bite....
    Yeah I guess it is probably even worst down there in the south east corner with the larger population it must be hell to try and fish alone. Cheers Pete

Re drifting etiquette, I was recently difring over a patch in 105m, with approx 8-10 boats drifting over the same area. Some had sea anchors out, some (inc us) were using reverse at idle to slow the wind drift and others were drifting switched off, no sea anchor. You can imagine the chaos that ensued. We had two tangles with other lines and saw at least 3 other boats involved in tangled lines.
    What surprised me most was that most skippers involved were paying absolutely NO attention to their boats course or proximity to other boats, once they'd dropped their lines they were fishing! And NOT skippering and fishing. At least twice I had to yell out to boats drifting very close to me and somewhat quicker. We're all technically underway so ALL need to look out for each other. I also had to manouver my boat out of others way when they backing up harder on a good fish. A skippers responsibility doesnt end once your fishing or at anchor fishing for that matter.

Pulled in to scarby pontoon a couple of hours ago, smallish tinny smack in the middle, watched me tie up half on half off the pontoon, didn't bother to say, "want us to move forward/ backwards a couple of metres?"

Ah well....

It happens everywhere we were sitting about 50 metres from another boat off Slade Rock in Mackay a couple of weekends ago well away from the marker and old mate comes straight between us doing about 30 knots and gives us a wave. He could have gone on the western side of the rock (where I go when coming from the same direction as old mate) or he could have passed nearer to the marker (keep in mind we were about 100+ metres from the marker). We often joke when coming back from out wide when we see 2 boats anchored near each other '"we should go between them so we can be like the locals"