Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Etiquette Rules

Re: Fishing Etiquette Rules

Well said!

Should try being a kayak and land based fisherman.. Boaties are by and large an arrogant bunch of pricks.

i drift almost always and my philosophy with anchored boats is that i am the one under way and so therefore, as annoying as it may be, i crank up the motor and avoid a collision if someone anchors on my drift.

my other rule is to NEVER drive anywhere on the area i am going to drift over, i don't know whether i am just being supersticious, but i don't do it, and i frikkin hate it when someone else does it. it's sometimes difficult if there's a few boats around though.

Interesting thing with this thread, if you read right thru it, there are quite a few that could have been written from each side of the same incident!
    Which kinda goes to show (as with emails especially) that its easy to find fault if you are expecting it/looking for it. Not a criticism at all of anybody.
    One persons "500 meters" is anothers "casting distance", one persons "blatantly pulled up on my spot" is anothers "Ive had this mark for years".

Best bet is to just smile and wave-and dont wreck ya day!

i agree. a person at anchor is occupying a vary small area of fishing ground whereas a person drifting is technically 'when they say they anchored in my drift or on my mark' claiming a much larger area but they are the ones getting all shirty. there is a standard though and if im going to anchor i always hang back and see which boats are drifting and try and stay out of 'their' fishing ground. i admit i drift for snaps in the bay and get annoyed when someone anchors in a drift im doing but really i dont own or claim any particuler area and i make adjustments to go around. its really a shared thing. granted, it does depend where you are and proximity and comes down to respect and willingness to share but i think some guys take this 'my drift' a bit too far, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Should try being a kayak and land based fisherman.. Boaties are by and large an arrogant bunch of pricks.
    What a total exagerated load of bull.
    John
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I have 2 rules when I go fishing:
    1. Enjoy myself
    2. Try not to annoy anyone else.

If someone does annoy me I just move..not going to let them ruin my fishing trip..if they still persist I will give them a gobfull then back to relaxation mode.

good stuff, i have the same rules pinhead. it's my recreational passtime and i'm not letting anyone ruin my day even if they buzz around on the bank i'm drifting it's still not worth getting upset over.

I had a boat 25 years ago but can't remember it being anything like today.
    Probably more boats but hey the ocean/gulfs are pretty big.
    Had I still a boat than a shanghai would certainly be part of the equipment.

Good manners goes a long way, especially if an when you need assistance from another boatie (probly not from the one you just buzzed)

Only on sat i was anchored just inside the end of the middle wall here at yamba nsw
    there was a local fishing club comp on of some description .
    i was throwing s/ps at the wall waiting for the tide flow to slow and i had a guy just motor around in front of me while i'm trying to catch a fish or two.
    sounding the area i think
    i said out pretty loud (you gotta be f******* kidding me a'rnt you ?)

just a arogant a******e i reckon
    cheers
    ken

Dont get me started on Jetskis! Miles of ocean or bay, where do they set their course, right over the area your lines are behind the boat. I honestly think they feel so great about their machine so they just have to come right past you so you can see it. Beggars belief.
    I think a lot of this highlights the fact that our waterways are getting increasingly crowded, and the ease of getting into boating as mentioned earlier.
    I remember some time back there was a push by fishos at Awoonga Dam to come up with a sign at the ramp and a sticker to be placed on boats/utes etc. There must be some way of getting this issue more into the minds of people so it becomes more of a rule.
    Maybe it should be a key matter dealt with in getting a Boat Licence?
    Maybe on the drift issue, it should be the same as the at anchor issue. If someone is there first, in the vicinity, just dont go there, drifting or otherwise. If a person is trolling an area, dont go in and anchor up, simple.
    Most blokes are pretty determined, I think if we get to our spot and someone else is there, it just needs a deep breath and go and fish elsewhere.
    Anyone have a recommended anchoring distance that would be etiquette?
    I have worked something out tho, if you fish very early. or late arvo, you get a lot more peace and quiet.
    Plan to arrive when others are leaving, and to be leaving when others are arriving. Much better fishing hours and peace and quiet.
    Flatzie

Was out about a week ago off to a very special redy hole that a certain charter bloke has been chasing off my mate alot of late only to find him in it right to the meter with customers hooked up on good fish. He gave a drive by a couple of months earlier with a radar on top. Since then instead of the ussual travelly and macs in his pics its now full of reds. The charter bloke used to own my mates boat so it was no accident that he done the drive by. In 15yrs we have never seen another boat near this spot and we never anchor and as soon as we sight another boat we move to protect it. It was always providing around 15-20 good fish in about 20 mins and then we'd move. Needless to say the day after when we got to it we got only 1 just legal nani in hour and half, My mate is a little more liberal than me as I was keen to board his boat and throw him and his gps and radar in the drink as who would here his screams 80kms out to sea.

Hey D River, I bet that gave you guys the sh*ts. Usually its the charter operator trying to stop us rec fishes from getting their marks. It's a pitty that they go and flog the pants off a place. The reds move off after a while and sometimes don't come back.

Pazz

Had a guy in a tinny come across the back of me as I was reversing at the Redcliffe Coast Guard Boat ramp he could see I was coming back but yet still proceeded to come across the back of me as I was coming back to line the boat up with the trailer all I can say is I raised the motor up so the tip of the prop was just on top of the water wacked in drive and gave it a rev all I can say is he got wet 175 opti props throw out a got bit of spray haha bloke shit his pants. I just said sorry mate did not see you there and proceed to drive forward. I pulled the boat into the rigging area and was there with the missus and my daughter. I could tell he wanted to say something but did not want to cause a scene as he drove off I looked up at him and waived and smiled he gave me the finger and shook his head I mean really I get the finger because he could not wait 1 minute and stop haha. Gotta love boat ramps aswell that is when you really see the selfish side of people everyone wants to get out at once and when you have only 1 pontoon it makes for interesting viewing.