Thread: 100% Pflueger Acid!!

100% Pflueger Acid!!

All, couple of weeks back i posted about how my ohead pflueger jig rod has poor blank wall streng rand twists/rolls allot under load, ugly horrible dog of a thing.

Well, i rebuilt (sorry no pics yet) into a spiral wrap, kept the same guide spacings, went with the acid rod technique of going the 180 degree guide transission in three 60 degree stages (so two guides at funny angles), those 2 guides 2 and 3 from the butt.

Pleased to report the rod is now a completeley different animal, not wanting to twist, feels totally different for the better under load.

Now this blank was an extreme case so ovbiosly responded to the spiral configuration really well, BUT geeze, this spiral wrap thing has got me thinking a bit now that it impressed me so much. Anyway, the whole exercise has expanded my thinking a bit and I would encourage all that are thinking about a spiral to give one ago as it seems to me there are some potential advantages.

Cheer's, Scott

Re: 100% Pflueger Acid!!

Glad you were able to rescue the rod.
    Spirals aren't for every situation, but they do work well when required.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Yeh Scott
    I love em
    Got 5 of them in my collection
    But I build mine a tad different I use the Bumper method instead of the revolver method,each to there own....LOL
    Willo

Hey guys, where have you been for the last few years! I've been trying to convince people for ages to give the poor old spiral a go and feel the difference. I agree with Owen, they aren't for every overhead but they sure do work on most. Most of my private baitcaster and popper rods are spirals. I use the revolver method of guide placement but I also stretch it out a little. I work from the tip back by getting a good working curve into the blank and marking where the lock up point begins. From the lock up point I position the stripper guide and 3 others on the 0, 60, 120 and 180 axis. From the last of the spirals I then position the remaining guides just like a spinning rod except maybe with a lower profile guide (even single foot guides up to the tip depending on the weight).

I really like the stability of this style of build over the traditional guides on top but in the end I try and build what the customer wants. As long as they're happy.....

Regards
    Mark

Yeh Mark
    I have built a number of Spirals for friends, mainly in the 10kg and up range, and once they fish them they are converted..LOL
    The harder the fish pulls the more stable they are (get the stabilty of a spin outfit in a overhead) ,and a gimbal belt become less important
    The Last two I have built have been on Phenix Hybrid Blanks and they are awesome

Willo

Hello guys,
    i,m thinking of building a samurai prem, BB351 as a spiral wrap using fugi titanium
    guides and matching to a shimano curado reel, i don't usually fish with baitcasters
    but i'd like to build something a bit different. Do you guys think this outfit would be suitable for a spiral wrap? mainly used for yellowbelly and cod.
    thanks

Hi Markos,

Mate I know the blank and yes it would suit as a spiral. That is a really nice blank for what you propose to do with it. Personally, I'd go for cork grips with the Fuji Titaniums, single layer guide wraps with no underwrap, two light coats of epoxy and this would a be super light combo.

Regards
    Mark

I love them especially my spiral wrapped 15-24kg superseeker with mixed cork and eva grips. ducks nuts.
    Graham

thanks Mark,

Thats exactly what i plan to do, keep it nice and light, can't wait for this one.
    thanks.