Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Fibre Venom rod range

Live Fibre Venom rod range

Was in my tackle shop the other day and went looking for a new outfit, something for chasing big choppers, and fish the reef bottom bashing and jigging.

Sales guy showed me the new Live Fibre Venom range of rods....and what can i say other than HOLY SHIT these have some pulling power and a real nice curve in them when loaded up.

Has anyone used one yet? I liked it a lot, and ended up getting one, as well as a saragosa 18000 to sit on it with 80lb braid. I got the 450gm model rated PE5-10 or something like that, will double check, but friggin hell i was impressed. Can't wait to test it out on some monster reds and choppers.

Re: Live Fibre Venom rod range

great rods mate rate them really high i have a couple here are some pics of them loaded up

Guys you have to start to under stand these type of rods , the 450 is a monster of a rod , willsons , kilwell , Synit , same breed , are you chasing 100 kg plus fish , I did out at Osprey , that is what that rod is for , way over power in the rod for a Saragosa 1800 , I used a Stella 20,00 and a JM PE 8 on this type of rod, If you are working the inner reefs a 250 is more than enough , you are not doing youself any favours by having a rod with that much power , IMO , A 300 is the max you need , I have just re read you post , REDS , mate total over kill , I don't know how long you have fished for reds , I have fished for them for over 25 ,years , I am sorry but that rod will decress your catch rate on reds .it is way to fast for reds . and the bloke in the tackle shop should have told you this info ,and this is OMI , sorry

have a 350 with a Daiwa 6500 spinner with JM PE6, absolute beast of a rod, gave that a burl recently and bloody hell, so recently added a 250 overhead, as a rod that will serve as an offshore allrounder i reckon when you cant take many rods , it will handle jigging, bottom bashing and trolling.

Scott i reckon you will love it mate, and each to their own for a red rod, im still mucking around for what suits me, you blokes get some big fish up there,

I reckon you cant beat them for value either, but found them harder to jig with on the body compared to the smith.
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by trout head View Post
    Guys you have to start to under stand these type of rods , the 450 is a monster of a rod , willsons , kilwell , Synit , same breed , are you chasing 100 kg plus fish , I did out at Osprey , that is what that rod is for , way over power in the rod for a Saragosa 1800 , I used a Stella 20,00 and a JM PE 8 on this type of rod, If you are working the inner reefs a 250 is more than enough , you are not doing youself any favours by having a rod with that much power , IMO , A 300 is the max you need , I have just re read you post , REDS , mate total over kill , I don't know how long you have fished for reds , I have fished for them for over 25 ,years , I am sorry but that rod will decress your catch rate on reds .it is way to fast for reds . and the bloke in the tackle shop should have told you this info ,and this is OMI , sorry
    i use a 350 and 400 as they are the jig weights we use and find them a great rod for 100m of water when the current is ripping

Hi
    I have an article in BNB that shows these rods. Look awesome and have it from someone that they are exceptional.

I love Live fibres and if and when i buy jigging rods i am sure it will be from the venom range.

lol
    Ronnie

Yeh Guys just asking a question on PE ratings
    This ..PE stuff really confuses me .....LOL
    From my understaning... Polyethylene .. PE rating is the thickness of the Braid(PE),..not the poundage or Kg rating
    In other words two different Manufactures that Have a PE 5 rating actually differ quite a lot in breaking strain
    Is this correct...???

Willo

Sorry Scott not meaning to hyjack your post

Yeah Willo that is right. In days gone by the PE rating closely matched the breaking strain in pounds. So PE 5 was 50lb. PE 5 today can be anything from 50 to perhaps 70lb.
    Because of this I believe they should scrap this methodology for rating rods.
    Drag ratings are much better IMO.

Daintreeboy is right - for the purpose of rating rods, PE4 means 40lb, PE5 means 50lb etc.

On a charter, I saw a guy snap a PE4 Shimano Jigwrex right through the foregrip, because he thought it was a 60lb rod and was fishing "lockup" on a Stella 20000SW. Wearing gloves, the deckie still managed to handline the fish to the boat - it was a 10-12kg kingie (I only remember thinking it wasn't particularly large).

Brent.

i notice on some rods now they say max drag pressure aswell as the pe rating eg the catalina range

Hey scott,
    how are you finding the rod? I just got the 350g one with a 14000 gosa and 80lb daiwa boat braid heading up your way in a few weeks and an dying to pull some beasties out of the reef.

Forgive my ignorance fellers, but what fish exactly are we calling 'choppers" and "reds"because these terms refer to different species depending where you come from.

OK, to answer my own question, I will assume we mean red emperor and chopper tailor.
    I remember about 30 years ago, Rod Harrison did a story for one of the fishing mags about Black Bass in New Ginea.
    These fish are the inshore equivalent of GT`s.
    The successful rod/reel combo for boating this animal was a 7000 ABU and an 8 wrap Butterworth rod about 5'6ins long.
    No braid then, so it was 40lb mono and a live bait or a Cotton Cordel rattlin spot sinking lure.
    These days we would probably choose a Torsa 20 with 80 lb braid and a carbon rod rated PE5-7. OK, a few hooks get pulled with braid, but if the fish can pull that hard, you would have gotten reefed on lighter gear anyway.

They mean Red Emperor and Fingermark (Golden Snapper). Both dirty fighters at times and fight hard just like the Black bass as they are all Lutjanids

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    They mean Red Emperor and Fingermark (Golden Snapper). Both dirty fighters at times and fight hard just like the Black bass as they are all Lutjanids
    Thanks mate, i`m learning all the time.