Thread: Opposed Piston Opposed Cyclinder Engine.

Opposed Piston Opposed Cyclinder Engine.

Has anyone heard where there are at now?

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/O...posed-Cylinder

Would be an interesting motor and maybe OK in a boat too.
    If I mention boat should this be somewhere else?

C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................

Re: Opposed Piston Opposed Cyclinder Engine.

Been done before, Napier Deltic, in Ton Class minesweepers, German Junkers aeroplanes and locomotioves.
    Nick

Do not know of anything on this engine development process, but similar engines have been developed and used in the past 3 decades. Opposing cylinders is not new tech.

About 15 yrs ago there was a guy on the Gold coast that developed a gear driven combustion motor that was radically different to anything available on the market. It was designed to be a stationary engine that was incredibly compact and incredibly high power output at a max of about 2000 rpm. Each firing chamber was a lever mechanism that engaged a central flywheel around which 12 or 16 firing ports was located. It was mechanically fed fuel/air mixtures and had either spark plugs for petrol, kerosene, alcohol, shellite or other highly flamable fuels or it could run with a glow plug to initiate a diesel detonation.
    800 BHP was obtained from an engine 380mm diameter and 120mm tall and weighing about 35kgs. Have seen nothing on this engine since it appeared on a motoring tv show in Europe back around 1992 or so. It is not the Sarritch motor.
    Jack.

Ahh everything old is new again.

The only thing I can see that is new is that they have 4 pistons in 2 bores running off 1 central crank..I have not seen that before.

There was a range of Commer trucks and vans from the 50's and 60's that had what was called a "knocker" engine.

But I seem to remember that was, 4 pistons in 2 bores with 2 cranks, with the bores between the cranks.

The findamental problem is that any form of horisontaly opposed engine does not suit the way we build vehicles.

This is the reason why the VW/subaru motor is not more widely adopted.

and there are other issues with horisontal pistons, particularly when the motor gets some age in it.

He claim that the stroke is short so it should rev higher...... but look at all the extra reciprocating mass.....and when one of those things blows up I recon those long rods would poke a long way out of the block.
    I would not like to be sitting on top of one

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

I 'think' the commer knocker was a 3 cylinder 6 piston boxer jobbie?

edit> Just checked it out, we're both right. They did a TS3 and a TS4 engine.