Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strangest thing you ever saw fishing?

Re: Strangest thing you ever saw fishing?

well.. this is sort of something I didn't see, one night my wife and I were motoring home and I got hit smack in the face by a mutton bird, scared the bejesus out of me (and the bird) I have also "run aground" on a dead cow floating down the Shoalhaven river, just on daylight, drove the tinny right up onto it's belly!

Lots of good stories.
    Heading home from a fishing day off Moreton Island and noticed what seemed an unusual vessel approaching from the port side.

It only seemed small but was creating a hell of a lot of turbulence and a huge bow wave.
    Thought on the side of caution and let it go by, but I was very close to it thinking it was small initially.
    OK now I know at is a full size submarine surfacing and I am a bit close, Holy S#$t spin around and get some distance off this thing! because I could see now that there was a big nasty bow wave coming off it as it was surfacing full steam ahead.

After it passed I took a wide berth behind it and it was like crossing a bar with heaps of white water for miles. An amazing site.
    Encounter heaps of big ships out there but never anything like that.

Strangest thing we've seen whilst fishing was a used nappy in our crab pot.
    There were no crabs either for some reason
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I was fishing with the wife at the mouth of a remote creek about 10 metres off the shore an hours run up the coast, no vehicle access, miles from anywhere, from behind the mangrove line onto the sand appears a good looking german shepard dog so I gave it a whistle thinking it was lost or dumped.It sat looking at us and then a very attractive nude woman appears,waves and says hello and wonders off down the beach with the dog following. We just looked at each other and said wonder where they came from?

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy View Post
    I was fishing with the wife at the mouth of a remote creek about 10 metres off the shore an hours run up the coast, no vehicle access, miles from anywhere, from behind the mangrove line onto the sand appears a good looking german shepard dog so I gave it a whistle thinking it was lost or dumped.It sat looking at us and then a very attractive nude woman appears,waves and says hello and wonders off down the beach with the dog following. We just looked at each other and said wonder where they came from?

Lucky the wife was there or there might have been 2 doggies following.........

Was sitting in the tinnie off Gladstone one day and about 50m from the boat a spaniard launched out of the water about 12 feet vertically.
    Sort of hung there flapping for a second then fell back into the water.
    You can't buy shit like that.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Was sitting in the tinnie off Gladstone one day and about 50m from the boat a spaniard launched out of the water about 12 feet vertically.
    Sort of hung there flapping for a second then fell back into the water.
    You can't buy shit like that.
    same thing happened to me but only about 10 metres away down at the pin around kalanga bank, pretty cool stuff.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Sitting anchored at the M3 with my old neighbour one day late last year, not much happening fish wise, nice calm sort of a day when we heard an odd distant grinding noise. We turned around to see a bloody huge container ship had run aground on the Moreton side of the channel. Looked like he was stopping at Bulwer for burger?!?! Went over for a look, first boat on the scene, got some video of it as we passed around the bulb on the front and later that night saw my boat on the news as we scooted around the big beached bugger. Got buzzed by the channel 7 copter as well and give them a big wave.
    Also happened to be out there when the big fog rolled through last year too. Watched it roll towards us like a wall and got some more vid of us going in and out of it. Gotta love being on the water!!! Plenty of sh#t happens out there!!!!

Cheers...Terry.....

I saw an Aussie driving a cab the other day......

Cheers Dazza

Quote Originally Posted by 2DKnBJ View Post
    I saw an Aussie driving a cab the other day......

Cheers Dazza
    HAD TO BE A WATER TAXI HEY DAZZA
    are you sure he was aussie how did you tell was it because he didn't have a yellow raincoat on

saw dead dog floating off shore the other day...
    saw some yellowfin jumping about 10ft out of the water after bait...nice
    seen a dolphin go and pinch a fish off another boats hookup...kinda funny as long as it's not your fish i guess smart little lazy mongrels those flippers...

we were coming in from the reef early one morning in NQ, near Snapper Island at the mouth of the Daintree.
    I guess we were about 5 km from the island in a calm sea and then to our right we saw a huge bulge in the water that was moving south and we had to veer away to miss it. The only thing we could put it down to was a submarine under the water heading south. Pretty scary to see though
    Cheers
    Flatzie

came around a corner in a creek one day and there was a bloke that got off the top of his missus in a tinny . they both tried to lay on the floor out of sight . my son aged about 10 at the time asked what they were doing , I replied that he had probably dropped something and reached over to pick it up . I asked my son at age 16 did he remember that day .after a bit of thinking he said that he did and I could see the lightbulb going on in his head as he realised what had been going on
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I was drifting years ago down Jervis Bay area, and it is a known Navy bombing range, a chopper hovered low over head and a Submarine surfaced about 100M away and told us we had 5 mins to get south of the lighthouse before the started bombing/target practice, it was quite common back then to be anchored on the Banks (not QLD banks) and the ships would be over the horizon and fire live shells over your head onto the range on shore, sounded like a big truck flying over your head, you would see the smoke on land, then you would hear the boom from the ship. The jets would (and I am sure they did it on purpose) fly in at christ knows what speed, at what seemed like sea level, and zoom right over your head, the noise was a jiffy behind them and it would scare the living sh!t out of us.

I was drifting down the Jervis Bay area, further south than Noelm, when I got overtaken and passed by an oil rig.

Looked like they were towing it north for repair or deconstruction.

One time also got a front stalls seat while the RNZAF Skyhawks did their gunnery and rocketry practice on the Point Perp range.