287. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Here is a price comparison that I have done over the last week for new gear that I was looking at buying that you may be interested in, as this is all just web prices. have a look at how little it varies. what margin would they have? 40 to 50% and the so called discounts is not even 10% of the RRP...what a joke, or are the retailers being forced by the importer manufactures not too advertise discount prices??

Make and Model Drag Line capacity Bearings Cambells Fishing Tackle.com.au Anglers Warehouse Rayannes superstore Mo Tackle
    Flathead Gear
    Daiwa TD Sol 3000 8 10lb/180m, 12lb/155m 6+1 $279.00 $289.00 $275.00 $289.00 $289.00
    shimano sustain SA2500FESTT LD20H 7 4/128 5/128 8 $309.00 $299.00 $309.00 $269.00 $289.00
    Daiwa TD Zillion TDZLN 100H PE 6 PE 1/200m, 1.2/170m, 1.5/150m 11+1 $438.00 $479.00 $479.00 $549.00
    Snapper and Pearl Perch Gear
    Daiwa Seagate Light SG 3500H 6 PE 2/300m 7+1 $299.00 $299.00 $280.00 $299.00
    Shimano Sustain SA4000FE 9 5/183 8 $335.00 $310.00 $335.00 $310.00
    Daiwa TD Sol 4000 8 12lb/240m, 14lb/190m 6+1 $309.00 $319.00 $309.00 $309.00 $319.00
    Daiwa Saltist STT LD20H 10 12lb/385m, 14lb/310m 6+1 $359.00 $349.00 $349.00 $349.00
    Mackrel, Wahoo, cobia and Dollie Gear
    Shimano Sustaim SA8000FE 13 7/229 9/229 8 $409.00 $395.00 $409.00 $395.00
    Daiwa Saltist 4500 10 PE. 3/400m, 4/300m 5+1 $299.00 $279.00 $279.00 $279.00 $279.00
    Daiwa Catalina 4500H 10 PE 3/400m, 4/300m 9+1 $559.00 $549.00 $649.00 $549.00 $549.00
    Daiwa Saltist STT LD40H 12 25lb/370m, 40lb/220m 8+1 $369.00 $369.00 $350.00 $350.00

sorry the excel spread sheet didn't workout too well..I will be interested in peoples comments good bad and ugly
    "Live Life"

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

just goes to show the distributor is making a killing

Looks like a standard variation around a price point to me. RRP is what a manufacturer/distributer thinks the product should be sold at to give the retailer a fair return on their sale. The actual price the the retailer sells it at is the price they need to achieve to make sure they cover all their costs associated with doing business and hopefully make a profit. Any retailer selling for less than the last factor will go broke quickly.

The distributors here are the ones making the real killing .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Here is what I think and Know , first up the Australian Tackle industry is a closed shop , I have a mate who has the funds and large street side shop who is trying to set up a tackle shop , none of the top brands will surply him , because there is one other here in town ,I will just side track here for a moment , I own a butcher shop and every man and his dog can surply meat , you want to start up a butcher shop in my town , go for it , no surply problems , no one is going to stop you . NOW try that in the tackle industry , more surply cheaper prices , more pressure on the wholesaler, less margins , not going to happen , Aussie dollar high, prices coming down NO ,It is called discrepancy spending , charge what the market can bear , 2 or 3 big wholesalers run the market, total control on prices , so what can we do , BLOODY simple , buy on the internet from overseas and save a bundle , I know all about surporting local buissness , so don't jump on me about that one, but there comes a time when enough is enough . mybe then and only then will they take not , and yes I spend a lot of money on tackle , over $10,000 last year . most overseas . one other thing , how many petrol stations , supermarkets , cloths stores , butcher shops in your town , now how many tackle stores , SPEAK UP and mybe they will listen .

it is funny how certain, people do business, the tackle supply is amazes me sometimes

I am in the marine industry as an equipment supplier, we work on very low margins 5-10% a best. reason being we work on turnover.. yes you can sell less at higher margins as the tackle industry does and loose you market to the us or japan or as we do sell more at lower margins and still keep the market.. the way we do business and the way we buy products has changed

Id rather make a couple of percent on something than make nothing on nothing.. turn over keeps the business going.. how do people think they will survive.. the thing is the aussie market to the retailer is not getting bigger for business. we are a global market these days and either move with the times or watch your business shrink
    "Live Life"

I wonder what sort of taxes are imposed on importers for bulk fishing items?
    Would they be classed as a luxury item and therefore be subject to larger taxes?
    Looking at the disparity of identical items from Japan, USA and Europe, it sure appears that Australia pays 25% more for items under about $500 on average and in some cases it is closer to 75%.
    Surely the costs of importing bulk fishing items is not 10% of the retail value?

I also believe that the larger outlets like BCF and Anaconda are overall not as cheap to buy from because they hold the market share just because of the variety they stock.

Coles and Woolworths are well and truly screwing Australia with their ventures into subsidized fuels with their shopper docket systems and the foray into alcohol sales.

Unfortunately the smaller businesses must close or merge into a conglomerate to buy at a decent price. Competition is no longer about sales, it is about their buying price to survive.

I think that if there was to be a real reform in the fishing industry and most other commodities, the wholesalers should fix prices for all of their buyers to one price and not discount for bulk buys to the larger outlets.
    Jack.

Dawai do not allow aussie shops to discount. The world is a small place just buy overseas. Places like singapore have many reputable dealers. Us as well

I have two mates with tackle shops........both now sometimes buy off the net because of the Australian distributers high prices.

Certain small green reel are up to $100 dollars cheaper over the net compared to the distributers price.

A Distributor here will pay on a Container load (or part load) say $200,000. Just a guess, OK?

Duty, 5%, $10,000.
    GST, 10%, $20,000.

Other Customs and freight and so on might add another 3 or 4 grand. He gets the GST back when he on sells it to the Retailer, so his real cost is maybe $15K, or 7.5%. Plus his internal inbound and outbound freight and warehousing.

Given the prices we see here, either their freight and warehousing is some of the most ridiculously overpriced in the known Universe, or we are being gouged. I suspect the latter. Buy overseas, and teach these rip off merchants that, as the rest of us are fast finding out, Australia is not as "lucky" as it used to be...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Where you will really notice rip-off pricing is in relation to downriggers. The difference in price between getting say a Scotty downrigger from a local tackle store and importing one from Cabelas or other USA store is nothing short of obscene. You will import one to your doorstep for a long way under half the price of the Aussie tackle shop price. Mine was 40% of the Aussie tackle shop price way back when the exchange rate was nowhere near as favorable as it is now.

In relation to reels, I did import a Shimano 8000D baitrunner a year or two ago because it was about 30% cheaper to do so. However, within weeks of doing that, a large local tackle shop had a three day sale during which the local pricing of that reel, including GST was very close to my imported price. Viz, the distributor can match USA prices when they want to, it seems.

Most of this has been said before.

Firstly running a tackle shop is a finance and labour intensive business.......the ratio between the amount of staff time required and the dollar value sold per customer does not work in favour of the retailer.....so they need high margins to survive.

Some of the items in the tackle shops will have a retailer mark up well and truly over 50%....... but they need that to make selling a pack of hooks worthwhile.

you can bett the importer are making "their fair cop", but they probaly are not buying as well as some of the larger overseas retailers.

There are US retailers that would turn over more than this whole country.

If it is anything like the Pro Sound market, some of the australian importers will be paying close to US retail, certainly nowhere near what a similar US dealer would be paying..

Yep it is a closed industry with a relativly small number of main brands, most of the minor brands being owned by one of the 4 or 5 major brands.

So untill we have an uprising of quality second and third string brands, it will remain our only option for a good deal will be to buy overseas.

In the prosound market we have had a heap of second a third string brands......the lesser known brands ( some of them previoulsy contractors for the major brands) were giving Shure Microphones such a hiding, they had to drop 30% off their whole price list a few years ago...... people had been bringing in suitcases of Shure in from singapore, Hong Kong and the US for decades prior....and it is still worthwhile to buy Shure overseas and pay the freight and duity.
    At one time the US street price for a shure SM58 was arround $80-90US...while the Australina recommended retail price was over $350 Australian.

Sound familiar.

There are still people out there that think a Shure SM58 assembled in Mexico from parts made who knows where is better value than one of many almost undistinguisable ( some times better finished) clone from tiwan or china.

While we all MUST HAVE one of the major brands...the situation wont change.

We are a branch office country, with a turn over less than several of the individual states in the US.

All I can say is than God for the internet and FEDX and DHL

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

So with Electronic retailing (local & International) are or will we see the death of the local tackleshop ?
    If the distributors dont stop gouging the local market ........ I reckon we will.

I know I still spend a fair bit in my local ..... usually things that I need quickly or cannot find on the net ..... or not worthwhile bringing in - But the reality is most of my major purchases but down to braid and lures comes from overseas. These days it is so easy to do business with reputable ETailers .... & with fast shipping its a no brainer specially when you can land some items at as low as 1/3rd of the price

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

The locals are kept alive by the buyers who have the folding stuff to spend and can`t use their credit cards for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    The locals are kept alive by the buyers who have the folding stuff to spend and can`t use their credit cards for obvious reasons.

#What tax or wives?