287. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

I travel a bit to and from malaysia and know the owner of kepong tackle in KL and Fish hunter also in KL and both tell me that there is no sales tax on fishing tackle sold there so i stock up like crazy whenever i can as it is around 60% cheaper for tackle over there then it is here.... Even been pulled up by customs and questioned about the amount of tackle i was bringing back as they assumed i was a commercial buyer.

a question..which dealers do you buy from for your overseas items?

Mahi tackle [ reels ] -- Kil Song Jignpop [Reels ] -- Chark Bait [ lures- braid ] Hogy lures [ soft plastics large ] Alibaba.com [ lots of cheap lures ] that is just some .

It's true, we are ripping each other off. Betcha tackle store owners would love to pay their staff $3.00 and hour and be really competitive.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...aid-3-an-hour/

Mate this has nothing to do with how well local tackle shop staff are payed.

There has been a decision made at a high level that we ( we including the tackle shop owners) will pay a large amount more for the very same products made in the same factories than many overseas contries...like twice or 3 times the price.

This has nothing to do with the cost of providing or servicing the product and everything to do with, that being what they can get away with.

Its been hapening for a very long time and across a large range of products and not just fishing gear.

Many large companies see Australia as a rich, isolated market there to be exploited.

Fortunately some market sectors have found that thay can not get away with it any more.

Unfortunately our customs system still supports this.

If there were no restrictions on paralell imports......it would change overnight....because in many cases there is no longer any justification for a local importer.........

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

It has a lot to do with wages, why do you think China can supply products so cheap? They are paying roughly the same as everyone else for the raw materials but they pay their staff USD$8.00 a day. That means they can have someone on the floor producing 8 -12 hours a day for a month and they will get what a staff member in a tackle store gets in a day. Why are the big miners looking at the cheap labour if it doesn't effect their bottom line to pay Aussies top dollar???? Price competitiveness.

Only last week I saw an American show on SBS about Apple and they calculated an IPad would cost over 10,000 if it were made in the USA, all thanks to the difference between USA wages and those in Asia.

The comparitive wages have absolutely nothing to do with the difference in price between australia and the US (or any other country for that matter) for identical products, of the same brand made in the same factories where ever that may be.

There are other comparable market sectors where this difference does not exist.

Power tools is a very good example, we pay a very similar price to the US and the UK for brand name power tools......why then should we be paying twice or 3 times the US price for fishing tackle.

This difference has absolutely nothing to do with comparitve wages.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Only last week I saw an American show on SBS about Apple and they calculated an IPad would cost over 10,000 if it were made in the USA, all thanks to the difference between USA wages and those in Asia.
    you dont believe that do you ?

I had a look inside of a defence force contractor that made the the armys field radios - they are hardly touched by humans ...... most of the intricate work was handled by robots ........
    I think you will find that most electronic assembly plants are automated to some extent . Yes there would be a difference but not 13 Xs

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Cool Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

I remember talking to a retailer some years ago, his advice, don't worry about what it's worth just what you can get for it.

Tyrnos 30 2 speed delivered for $340 from the states.

Too EASY

JH

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

you dont believe that do you ?

I had a look inside of a defence force contractor that made the the armys field radios - they are hardly touched by humans ...... most of the intricate work was handled by robots ........
    I think you will find that most electronic assembly plants are automated to some extent . Yes there would be a difference but not 13 Xs

Chris
    Well there was plenty of footage of Ipads being manufactured on the biggest production lines I've ever seen, looked like they went on forever.

Foxconn's largest plant is in Shenzhen China and covers over 1.2 sq miles. Every day it's 400,000 plus workers chern out products for HP, Dell and Apple including both the iPhone and the iPad.

I still want to know why a tackle retailer is not allowed to make a profit but no-one wants there job replaced by a foreign worker at a fraction of the labour cost?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I still want to know why a tackle retailer is not allowed to make a profit but no-one wants there job replaced by a foreign worker at a fraction of the labour cost?
    Its not the retailer that is the problem ..... its the distributors - I doubt anyone begrudges someone from making a living.
    If a tackle shop was to parallel import you watch how fast the local distributor jumps on them - not pretty!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

None of us begrudge the tackle retailers making a fair cop, but you can rest assured they are getting "The Pineaple" too and frm the very same crate.

to but it bluntly, unless the taclke retailers tow the line they don't get offered any deals, and because of the paralell import restrictions, with out deals from the distributers they cant make money.

As I have said before, unless the local distributers were willing accomplases of the major companies, they would not be distributers very long.

Make no mistake it is a feudal system, same as the middle ages....the Lords flog the Vassals, the Vassals flog the pesants and the Peasants flog the donkies...eveybody cops the pineapples supplied by the Lord
    Just if you are further up the chain you get to choose the smaller pineapple with smoother skin.

cheers