Thread: Which rod ?

Which rod ?

Hi, Im after a rod for my Saragosa 18000. To be used for deep jigging heavy jigs and bottom bashing deep 80m+ water with heavy sinkers.

I have a Shimano T-Curve Deep Jig200 and love it, but its a bit light for heavier sinker weights, 12oz and up, so am tempted to go for the 400 version, also the cheapest of my options so far.

Im also looking at,

Daiwa Demon Blood Jig Spin heavy, although its rated 210-250gr, it feels much tougher in the shop.
    Wilson Live Fibre TX Venom 350 Jig rod, a bit of a dream price wise but these rods do come highly recommended, from the reading I've been doing.

I have an Ebay rod I bought as well. its a Sambo Jig Extreme Heavy, up to 350gr weights. I used it for bottom bashing last week in 105m and while it handled the 16oz sinker easily, it felt like a broom stick, like I was doing all the work and rod was just flexing a bit to show it could bend. LOL.

Any other rods I should be considering ?

Re: Which rod ?

Ok, so I doubled up on a recent question and no-one answered me. To be expected I guess.
    Anyway I looked at a few more rods, Samaki Vanquish series Jig rods and Samurai heavy spin/jig as well as the cheaper offerings from Shimano, Daiwa and Silstar. All would do the job I guess, but so would a length of suitable thickness bamboo.
    In the end I bought a Live Fibre Venom, PE5-10 450gr Jig from Anglerswarehouse in Tweed Heads.
    The Deep Jig 400, (the one I thought I'd walk out with) is a very nice rod, but it felt soft in the tip section with the heavy action starting further down the rod, unlike the Venom where the tip is flexi enough to have feel while the heavy lifting action is more the whole rod.

Cant wait to go fish with it now.

Let us know how it goes. I haven't heard a bad word about the Venom series
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Tapping into a savings account to buy toys, is a bad idea. It's like opening a new bottle of spirits, ahh just one more, there's more left for later.
    I also should stay away from tackle shops. I bought another rod today, maybe my purchase of the Venom was a bit rushed before checking out all the rods I could. So, I may have one up for sale soon too, having 2 (expensive) rods for the same job is bit excessive. Hopefully I'll only cop about 10% loss on the rod but that's the price for rushing, I'll learn the lesson one day.
    The new rod is a Samurai Reaction Jig Spin 10, 6', 50-80lb medium fast. I think as a more all rounder jig/deep bottom bashing and live baiting rod for big fish, the Samurai may be better, being slightly longer and slightly more flex in the tip than the Venom. I also looked at the Samurai Jig12, 80-100lb, wow, that rod could pull a bommie out if you snagged it and could hold the rod with that much weight.
    Cant wait to get out and try the rods out.

Lancair

Ho do the RLFTX stack up against the venoms?
    Last edited by Spiderpig; 12-05-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: removed stupid question

Well the RLFTX spin series rods are longer than the Venom Jig rods for a start, so they weren't what I was looking for but I'm sure their very capable rods if that's what you're looking for. A mate has a RLFTX Gold which he uses everywhere.