287. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Lets look at the wholesaler , 1 importer of Daiwa , 1 of shimano, 1 of Rapala lures ,get the idear, Try and ask any one of them if you can start to import them , Not going to happen , you will be told there is one already , ok so lets go on the internet and--[ you can]-- find Shimanos at a bulk price , right you say , I will get these and sell them , NO can do ---- parrallel importing --- they will take you to court , I know because it would of happened to some one I know , So it brings us back to where we started . No competition , can a tackle shop buy on the net overseas and sell in his shop , NO , parralle importing , so do we have fair trading in the tackle industry or would it be unfair trading . I think the W/S need to give some answers . ----- Very closed market ---- we all know what that means .

2BNVS1, that is excatly what I have been trying to say, we buy anything good overseas/on line and we buy off the local guy for small ticket items when it suits us, and we think we are doing him/them a favor! and sponsorship is indeed another cost that the distributer has to factor in, we as one time importer do not give one cent to our past time llike a retailer or importer does, dont get me wrong, I can see the prices offered on line, and can see the rage at times, but it is just NOT your local tackle guy trying to rip you off, he has a right to earn a living just as you and I, and to do that, he has to buy things and sell them for more then he paid for them, pretty simple concept really!

Is it actually the distributors sponsoring these events or the local tackle shops themselves ?

From what I have heard it is usually both. Depends who organisers approach I suppose. But when there is a straight brand sponsorship you would say it is the distributor.

i was looking at a new reel im interested in last night on the net...

from the U.S. $200.00 to my door

Mo Tacklehere in aus $535.00

As mentioned above, i will go to my local for hooks sinkers, things i need immediatly
    but at i diff of $335.00 for that reel it just isnt smart spending on my behalf to go to
    my local guy.. unfortunately.

Jason
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OK, lets just for a second at what life for the national distributer of fishing tackle could be like (lets remember I don't work in the tackle game, or know a distributer) this is just a "perhaps" You need to import a pile of reels/rods/whatevers, we are talking container loads, not a one off, posted item that a home user may import, you need spares for these new items, a pile of glossy brochures, all the freight and duties that are associated with these goods, a wharehouse to put them in, and a couple of staff to look after the wharehouse, next you need a sales rep who travels the state looking after retailers, a few phone people to answer calls, and an accountant (or a few maybe) a system of billing all your sales, and a bunch of shipping companies that will transport your goods to your retailers, now I am sure this is only part of being a big importer/distributer, and you have not sold a single reel yet! add to that stuff that never sells (for whatever reason) and needs to be cleared for zero profit and you can see there is a huge capital outlay to supply goods to you and I through a tackle store. Now I don't for one minute say they are not making a decent profit out of us, but at times they need to (well I think anyway)
    So how come I can buy a G-loomis rod from the US from a RETAIL STORE for under half of the cost including shipping to my door than i can purchase it here for at a retail shop?

In addition to that this retail store has replaced two broken rods at no cost besides a shipping fee to send me the new rods and the cost to me to ship the old rods back. In doing this I paid for the two new rods and they were shipped immediately and my money excluding the shipping fee was refunded as soon as the broken rods were recieved by them in the US. They also put two addition rods in with the shipment for no additional shipping cost!! Try getting that kind of service in Aus!

In Australia I would have to have paid $175 per rod and then had to wait weeks for new ones to arrive and have to prove that I purchased the rod in Aus and we all know that a reciept isn't going to last for the life of the rod! The expediter warranty in the US is only a $100 cost as well!

My point? Every business has running costs, of course an ebay business won't have the costs of a retail shop, importers have costs too, but their shipping cost per rod would be a lot less than what I am paying for once off packages from the US via air freight.

I wouldn't mind paying a slightly higher price to purchase here, but when the cost is double there is no chance of that happening!

The importers/wholesalers (EJ Todd, etc) are the one making the money as their running costs are much lower than that of the retail shop fronts. The tackle shops make bugger all on rods and reels from what i have heard from a number of shop owners, they make most of the money from the terminal tackle and disposables.

Anthony

Spot82, I think Shimano are now the importers/owners of Loomis and are the ones responsible for upping the buying a replacement rod cost.

I bet the Loomis in the shop you bought from in the states would not be as cheap. They don't have to factor any labour costs for selling the reel just picking and packing.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Spot82, I think Shimano are now the importers/owners of Loomis and are the ones responsible for upping the buying a replacement rod cost.

I bet the Loomis in the shop you bought from in the states would not be as cheap. They don't have to factor any labour costs for selling the reel just picking and packing.
    Shimano now has the distrubution rights for Loomis. The cost of the rods and replacements has always been a lot higher than the US though! With the dollar the way it is how can Shimano justify double the price for a replacement rod? And if you use some logic $100US is more than the cost of each and every single rod, as of they can offer you a replacement at that price the wholesale price would be assumed to be slightly less than this.

So what you are saying is that the person responding to the 10 emails I have sent isn't getting paid? Just the person picking the rods and packing them? Nor the salespersons they have in their actual shop (even though they have no part in my purchases), or the person arranging the shipping, or the manager, etc, etc?

With the buying power shimano has and the ability for them to purchase container loads of stock at once, the price would be considerably less than the RETAIL price I am paying in the US. Remember Shimano is paying WHOLESALE price (as assumed above less than $100US per rod)! A tackle shop here in Aus is most likely making around 25% margin on a rrp $600 rod, so once again who is making all the money? hmmmm

Purchasing rods and reels here only supports the few companies that have distribution/import rights for those big names...
    Last edited by Spot82; 11-04-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: wording change

Purchasing rods and reels here only supports the few companies that have distribution/import rights for those big names...[/quote] Hit the nail on the head .

Isn't it sad that with the high Australian dollar ...... we have not seen the price of tackle fall ....... last time the aussie $ was up and it fell sharply - prices went up ( why ? ... the weaker dollar or strong yen) - now the dollar is in the stratosphere .... & has strengthened appreciably against the yen ....... what has happened ?

I'll tell ya .......NOTHING!!!

So ..... I say , " up your's !"

Chris

Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have never imported any fishing gear..I am one of those impulse buyers..I want it so I go and buy it..but I don't spend much on rod, reels and tackle anyway...plus dunno how I could arrange to buy any from OS ...but to those that buy lots of gear I can see there is definitely some savings.

About 10 years ago I was invited for a weeks fishing with the owner and staff of a major importer.
    Dont ask me who as I wont say but they paid for our accommodation with 2 small overhead reels.
    They made the comment that they cost them $90 for the 2 reels but at the time they were retailing for over $350 ea.

So lets try to define " Ripped Off"

I think it is handing over my hard earned cash to purchase goods or services, only to find out that I could have paid much less for those goods somewhere else.

There are other things to consider which I once discussed with another ausfisher on this subject. This person is a very successful marketing person in his own right. Many tackle stores need to take a course on what it means to market themselves and their products and to understand the importance in providing the quality of service that keeps people coming back to them. We were looking for 7/0 Gammakatsu jig hooks. The store he approached only had 5/0 hooks and tried to tell us they were just as good to catch snapper. But these were for a specific mold, it has to be 7/0, and he will pay whatever freight, whatever min order value to order them in, so long as he had them within a few days. We were told it would not fit into their ordering cycle every two weeks, and he walked away dejected. There was little effort put into looking at what else they could order to get them over the min order value with that supplier. That one incident forced a bit of googling for on line suppliers, discovering numerous overseas suppliers that could deliver within an acceptible time frame, and at half the price. Hundreds has been spent since on tackle, but none of it locally. I don't mind paying more for what I need, so long as I get the service attached to it.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post

I think it is handing over my hard earned cash to purchase goods or services, only to find out that I could have paid much less for those goods somewhere else.

There are other things to consider which I once discussed with another ausfisher on this subject. This person is a very successful marketing person in his own right. Many tackle stores need to take a course on what it means to market themselves and their products and to understand the importance in providing the quality of service that keeps people coming back to them. We were looking for 7/0 Gammakatsu jig hooks. The store he approached only had 5/0 hooks and tried to tell us they were just as good to catch snapper. But these were for a specific mold, it has to be 7/0, and he will pay whatever freight, whatever min order value to order them in, so long as he had them within a few days. We were told it would not fit into their ordering cycle every two weeks, and he walked away dejected. There was little effort put into looking at what else they could order to get them over the min order value with that supplier. That one incident forced a bit of googling for on line suppliers, discovering numerous overseas suppliers that could deliver within an acceptible time frame, and at half the price. Hundreds has been spent since on tackle, but none of it locally. I don't mind paying more for what I need, so long as I get the service attached to it.

Scalem
    thanks for the intelligent comment.. this is very true, and this is where aussie stores are thinking smarter how to do business to compete against the global market. what we did 5,10 or 20 years ago just wont cut it today.. they need to open their minds, learn how to sell and learn how to be competitive at lower pricing, or go the way of dinosaurs... sad but true
    "Live Life"

When a well known brand of soft plastics is landed for under $1 / pk ......and then retails for around $10 - that's being ripped FF.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO