287. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Just a question (and I am not trying to be a smart #%#@)- if you allow parallel importing or did not have local distributors - who looks after warranties, who looks after spare parts, who advertises the products that we ogle over and eventually spend our hard earned on (be it local or overseas) - for that matter would we have any local fishing media without advertising.

As I mentioned before - not being a smart #%$#% - just trying to unravel the meaning of the fishing industry.

What parallel import restrictions are we referring to here ?.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    What parallel import restrictions are we referring to here ?.
    Tackle ..... electronics
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Champilly View Post
    Just a question (and I am not trying to be a smart #%#@)- if you allow parallel importing or did not have local distributors - who looks after warranties, who looks after spare parts, who advertises the products that we ogle over and eventually spend our hard earned on (be it local or overseas) - for that matter would we have any local fishing media without advertising.

As I mentioned before - not being a smart #%$#% - just trying to unravel the meaning of the fishing industry.

in all my life ...... I have had two warranty claims on tackle - I could have fixed both myself !
    I have bought tackle overseas for the last 5 years ....... I have had 1 issue that a mate fixed. in that time i have spent about $10K ,,,,, but have saved abour $10K ...... so I am way ahead

The locals (distributors) can go jump !!!!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

There has been a decision made at a high level that we ( we including the tackle shop owners) will pay a large amount more for the very same products made in the same factories than many overseas contries...like twice or 3 times the price.
    yer like how far up???? and why???

Cite me some legit cases where this has been enforced, not hearsay but actual cases where an organization has been pinged for such importing in recent times.

I rep for an importer/wholesaler and we sell into retailers,resellers and dealers nationwide, we asked a manufacturer for an account only to be told no sorry we have enough distributors in Aust.We are fortunate to have a very good relationship with a distributor of that particular brand o/seas and sells to us at there cost price.To this day and after several years we still have not been taken to task over this nor threatened with legal action.

Cite me some legit cases where this has been enforced, not hearsay but actual cases where an organization has been pinged for such importing in recent times.

I rep for an importer/wholesaler and we sell into retailers,resellers and dealers nationwide, we asked a manufacturer for an account only to be told no sorry we have enough distributors in Aust.We are fortunate to have a very good relationship with a distributor of that particular brand o/seas and sells to us at there cost price.To this day and after several years we still have not been taken to task over this nor threatened with legal action.

Dont know the actual details .... sorry
    But both Daiwa & Shimano (Dunphy Sports) have done it

Daiwa actually started a campaign in the media over Grey Imports where the reels have been altered (cheaper componants)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

People like Dunphy Sports would try the standover tactics time and time again on independent store owners and get away with it.

If 20-30 independent tackle store owners got together and formed an independent buyers co-op and placed orders o/seas then all the huff and puff in the world from the likes of Dunphy Sports would not make difference.

In recent years many manufacturers have used the trademark or logo as a means of protecting there position here in Aust but in recent times the courts have ruled against manufacturers particularly in the clothing and textile industry citing logo's are just that a logo.

Manufacturers do there level best to scare the shite out of anyone even considering importing parallel items in a commercial quantity but there ability to have an individual or organization successfully prosecuted these days is slim at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Champilly View Post

With globalisation, some many steps in the distribution and service chain are becomming redundant and costly in many markets.

There are plenty of people who have reported quick turnaround on warranty by returing imported gear to the states.

As has been said before, many of the large US retailers hold more spare parts stock and have more repair staff than the local distributer.

There have also been plenty of reports that FEDEX or DHL can deliver faster from the US than local suppliers can from interstate.

As for advertising and anything administrative, location has nothing to do with it in this day and age... that is why branch office states other than NSW and VIC have very few staff, offices or wharhouses for companies that have easily shipped goods...they where all rationalised 10 or 20 years ago.

One rep that visits me, now services QLD, NT, SA some of NSW and flies to NZ and reps over ther a couple of days a month

Who do you think actually produces the advertising and makes the final marketing decisions anyway.....it will be the overseas parent companies.

Mate it would be just as easy if not easier in QLD, NT and WA to ship easily posted or air freighted items like tackle from Singapore or Honk Honk than Melbourne.

Hell I've had stuff out of mainline china in under 5 days.

Anybody who is doing even small volume electronic manufacture and is concerned about price will be buying direct out of singapore, hong kong or japan.

A couple of the american owned asian manufactured machinery companies ship direct to retailer from factory door and all the business is done with the US.
    This is the only reason they can maintain their brand in Australia at a competitive price.

There are plenty of people in the north that are sick to the back teeth of product being shipped south to melbourne or sydney and then freighted back north at customer cost, because all the regonal wharehouses have been shut down.

there have been heaps of service centres closed down in the branch office states, so someone has to pay freight both ways to sydney or melbourne for our waranty repairs.

Hell how much stuff do you think is repaired these days any way.......a very large portion of waranty is serviced by replacement, the failed item being dumped or sold as imperfect at auction.

So you recon this will all cost Australian jobs........ probably will but they will all be lost in the south east ( sydney and melbourne).......it will have absolutely no effect on jobs in the "branch office states", we lost all those jobs 10 or 20 years ago when all the distribution and service centres went south.

In my industry, we are seeing more market share taken by the lesser brands that are prepared to be less greedy and lost by the larger brands that once dominated with their high margins and restrictive dealer arrangements in the past.

"The times they are a changin' "

Aint that the truth.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

On the subject of rip offs, has anyone noticed that Cabelas charge 25% of the invoice total as P&P? Haven't bought from them for a while and just noticed it yesterday, I did query them and their reply was "that's our policy".
    Dean

People like Dunphy Sports would try the standover tactics time and time again on independent store owners and get away with it.

If 20-30 independent tackle store owners got together and formed an independent buyers co-op and placed orders o/seas then all the huff and puff in the world from the likes of Dunphy Sports would not make difference.

In recent years many manufacturers have used the trademark or logo as a means of protecting there position here in Aust but in recent times the courts have ruled against manufacturers particularly in the clothing and textile industry citing logo's are just that a logo.

Manufacturers do there level best to scare the shite out of anyone even considering importing parallel items in a commercial quantity but there ability to have an individual or organization successfully prosecuted these days is slim at best.

Tackle world have not been able to get around it & they are the biggest buying group - same goes for the Boating Camping & Fishing place ......... So if these groups / organisations cant get around it - who can ? ... It is clearly stitched up tight in favour of the distributor.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by deancantfish View Post
    On the subject of rip offs, has anyone noticed that Cabelas charge 25% of the invoice total as P&P? Haven't bought from them for a while and just noticed it yesterday, I did query them and their reply was "that's our policy".
    Dean
    Yeh Dean ..... I cant understand that one. Its reason that I dont use Cabelas
    In the end though it is really going to depend on what you are going to buy and your potential saving . A $200 reel from Tacklewarehouse will cost about 18% of the purchase price but a $400 reel is about 9% .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

We can only assume that Cabela's do not want international business. I don't use them because of their absurd shipping costs. Most of the Japanese sites have reasonable shipping charges - EMS seems to be cheaper than Fedex (and just as fast in my experience) and has the advantage of being held at your local PO if you are not at home on the first delivery.

Regarding Tackleworld and B_C_F, I have often wondered why they can't use their buying power to either force a better deal from greedy Australian distributors or parallel import. Perhaps they do get a better deal, but don't pass on the savings? The fact that much of our tackle has not reduced dramatically in price with the stellar increase in the A$ is a disgrace. I recall that when the dollar collapsed a few years ago, the prices shot up within a month.....

When it comes to the bigger retailers they would be on a buy price ( known as cost plus bits ) where going to the trouble of doing it themselves is not worth the exercise.

A lot of the larger mass merchants and so forth are buying at prices that mum and dad small businesses could only dream of and end up subsidizing the larger groups.Ever heard the independent small business claim they can't even buy at the price a mass merchant is selling for, i have many times over and seen invoices to support that claim.

Many small businesses deliberately attempt to carry brand differentiation so as to avoid that situation.

I don't know about QLD but there is a well known group of stores down here selling sporting goods mainly footwear that import the vast majority of there stock themselves bypassing the Oz distributor and to this day and for many years the local distributor has not been able to stop this only limit how they use the brand in there advertising.

I am sure there is many instances where the local distributor or arm of the parent company have successfully argued against this but i would bet my left one this would not have been in recent times, last 5 years or so.

Certainly not trying to have a war of words NAGG but if i was a small business owner in the tackle industry getting screwed on price by a local distributor with a captive market attitude i would be doing my level best to canvass other folk in a similar situation and forming a buying co op and properly listed business and importing from another source. You could also on sell that product to other similar independent dealers at a small profit who chose not be included in the co op just to keep the numbers up and even cover the costs of employing someone who's sole role would be to manage and oversee the import program.

Quote Originally Posted by deancantfish View Post
    Dean
    Thats fine if you are only after a few items for say less than $100.00. Big ticket items are better from other sources
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"