• yes

268 93.38%
  • no

19 6.62%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Re: Are we being ripped off with tackle in australia

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Been hunting down a replacement for my favourite rod (a Team Daiwa Advantage). Prices found so far;

An Adelaide tackle store, advertised online as 'now only' $99.95

Local tackle store, online price $199.00

Local BCF (price on shelf today) $219.00

That's a lot of wiggle room on prices!

Going in to the Local Store tomorrow so will hit them up for their guarantee to beat a genuine advertised price on any fishing rod or reel they have in stock, by 10%
    Okay, went in to the local store today and the Rod there had a price tag of $249.00 ($50 above their online price). Mentioned the advertised price ($99.95)at the Adelaide store. The shop looked up the price, then phoned the Adelaide store to confirm that they had the Rod in stock and then offered me the Rod for $99.00. I wasn't going to haggle over their beat the price by 10% guarantee, I was happy at $99!!

Store still made some profit for the day as I spent over $1,000 all up.
    Jim

see 150% mark up. drop the price and they got the sale. so what else dod you get???
    "Live Life"

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Okay, went in to the local store today and the Rod there had a price tag of $249.00 ($50 above their online price). Mentioned the advertised price ($99.95)at the Adelaide store. The shop looked up the price, then phoned the Adelaide store to confirm that they had the Rod in stock and then offered me the Rod for $99.00. I wasn't going to haggle over their beat the price by 10% guarantee, I was happy at $99!!

Store still made some profit for the day as I spent over $1,000 all up.

Sounds like a good days shopping

What do you reckon the rod was really worth ? ........ I'd say $180-200 would have been a fair price.
    I buy some pretty decent rods out of the US ....... $200 usually gets you something good .

Speaking of rods ...... I reckon we do fairly well in Oz for low to mid range rods yes we pay through the nose for a Loomis , megabass & Steez ..... but we do better on some of the lower range rods ( T Curve , Berkley etc)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

The rod was worth what I was willing to pay for it I suppose. Ticketed at $249 I would have been happy at $199. This shop normally does a good deal if you spend a bit of money. Discounts the rod and real or free braid ... something like that.

Got a lot of smaller tackle, hooks, sinkers, leader etc. Picked up a Diawa Sol 4000
    ($319) for the new rod and got a Saltist Demon Blood 72MH, which I asked for their best price (ticketed @ $339) and got it for $325. Got home and their 'online' price was $299.

And yes, the wife was with me so all were 'approved' purchases.

Cheers
    Jim

where did you find a wife like that.. thats the best deal!!!!
    "Live Life"

Damn right they have plenty of room to move on certain items, and the situation detailed above shows how much the price on a single item can vary.

As I said before every single sales and marketing trick you could think off.

Ya don't have to buy overseas to buy well though, ya just don't have to buy like a sucker.

You can do reasonably well if.

Don't have to have the very latest thing.
    Don't have to have the funkiest brand.
    Don't have to have expensive gear.
    Don't have to have whatever it is right away.
    Check arround for some prices.
    Be prepared to walk away.
    Be prepared to hit em up for a better price.
    Wait for the item to be on sale.
    Know what you are buying.
    Watch out for old stock and red stickers
    When you see a bargin that is a bargin jump on it.

and above all.......never pay full price for fishing gear if you can possibly avoid it.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Pin head mate...there is a big difference between knowing 1 knot that works ( if you fish mono one good knot is plenty) than not having made the effort to learn 1 single knot or knowing that you need to learn 1 knot.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Damn right they have plenty of room to move on certain items, and the situation detailed above shows how much the price on a single item can vary.

As I said before every single sales and marketing trick you could think off.

Ya don't have to buy overseas to buy well though, ya just don't have to buy like a sucker.

You can do reasonably well if.

Don't have to have the very latest thing.
    Don't have to have the funkiest brand.
    Don't have to have expensive gear.
    Don't have to have whatever it is right away.
    Check arround for some prices.
    Be prepared to walk away.
    Be prepared to hit em up for a better price.
    Wait for the item to be on sale.
    Know what you are buying.
    Watch out for old stock and red stickers
    When you see a bargin that is a bargin jump on it.

and above all.......never pay full price for fishing gear if you can possibly avoid it.

cheers

there is nothing better than being cashed up & keeping your eyes open for something that you have in mind ....... if you have the patience & time you can pick up some great buys without the need for buying overseas.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

we get ripped off on everything in Australia

My mrs has a nice Tag Heuer watch - battery went flat. Only 3 years old. Took it to Wallace Bishop who were the agents for Tag Heuer - they wanted over $200 to change the battery, plus 'more' expense (which they didn't clarify) if the watch needed internal cleaning or service. Took it to two other places, and the prices just went up.

brought the same watch overseas with me, and took it to Tag Heuer's own service centre - Cost me $20 to get the battery and pressure seals changed, plus internal lubrication, and pressure test, plus band and case re-polished. I watched the watchmaker do it through a customer observation window - took him 12 minutes, and I recieved a little packet wth the old battery and old seal as evidence.

before doing the job, the watchmaker opened the watch up and inspected it - he then declared that the watch did not require a full clean or service, but that it did need lubrication, and that next time it got a battery it would need an internal clean. The internal service and clean would only cost me $70 including the battery.

I recently had a titanium Seiko watch quoted in Australia for a battery, and they tried to sting me nearly $400 for mandatory service when all it needed was a battery. Asking $400 to service a watch that would cost $1000 to replace in Australia - but thats just another example of how we are gouged in Australia, I bought the same watch in Singapore for $250

Been trying to get onto the shimano factory web site...with no joy, but while i was serching found this little number from the USA.
    Im not up on the prices but how do these compare with what we are paying over here..
    http://www.nextag.com/shimano-reels/compare-html

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    there is nothing better than being cashed up & keeping your eyes open for something that you have in mind ....... if you have the patience & time you can pick up some great buys without the need for buying overseas.

Chris
    Damn right..so far my PB fshing gear catch was a 30lb overhead rig for under $150......A penn320 lever drag reel in perfect condition minus the box and instructions, an old stock shimano rod ( model from a couple of years ago) and a roll of 30lb platapuss lo stretch..all new .....still to be fished.
    I keep the price tag from the reel as a trophy.

The don't call me the vulture for nothing.

cheers

Just wondering, of the 10 people who think we are not being ripped off.....Why???

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    Just wondering, of the 10 people who think we are not being ripped off.....Why???

Probably work in the tackle or boating industry

I reckon I'm pretty opened minded on these types of opinions , but in the case of tackle & marine electronics I'm yet to be swayed even slightly ..... specially with a Aussie $ that is in the stratosphere ($1.07) - when it was in the US$0.75s mark there was an argument . The reality is that a reel which cost $450 - 4 years ago still costs that today & we have seen the $ strengthen by 40% , the reel should have fallen by $180. btw that reel still costs around the same in the states (US$270) .
    Yes not only are the local distributors not doing us any favors , they are blatantly ripping us off .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Its not going to change in a hurry,they know they've got us.When we walk through the door of the shop we're gone.As was previously advised "be prepared to walk away"best advice.Bloody hard though.The big local stores,B#F and Anaconda,The one that shall not be mentioned lol,their normal pricing is no different from ol mates tackle shop up the road.Their specials is where they look to get you in the store,and then you're on the ropes.
    Paulo

Just had the new pflueger patriarch XT baitcast reel arrive in the mail from the U.S. cheapest i could find it online here in aus was $399. 1 aus online store that gets a regular mention on here as having good prices actually had the reel for $525 on there site! How much did i pay........$181.00 Aus dollars to my font door!

hooks,bait and sinkers or any lure i need in a hurry ill buy here. other than that, sorry but i dont like walking out of the tackle store with a sore ass!!

Jason
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages